British Bomb Ketch by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - Pyro - 1/150 - PLASTIC

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Hurting the hand meant I couldn't work on the models properly... we shouldn't take anything for granted! But Its better now. 

The scale is really a problem, I couldn't use the tweezers which was vital. Also a lot of my choices especially with the shroud planks were not optimal and required fixes...

20190422_223002.jpg

The choice to make proper deadeyes proved very frustrating. Barely 1.5mm across and they take a lot of time. On the sovereign a lot of things will move much faster even though it a lot bigger. Perhaps not the best looking from point blank distance, just a few centimetres away they do the trick, so that will do. 

The shroud planks were generally a mistake that I tried to fix now, these plastic additions will be painted in the end...

20190423_104641.jpg

20190423_112949.jpg

Edited by GeorgeKapas

On 4/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, GeorgeKapas said:

I was a bit busy, plus a small injury to the hand.

SMALL INJURY????? Your hand looks more wrapped up than my shattered ankle after the doctor did a 2 and a half hour surgery on it! Just what did you do?

I am beginning to think we are going into some kind of injury season or something. Like Flu season except without the constant reminders to get your shot! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

Looking really good, George. The quality of work, particularly at such a small scale, is really impressive.

Steven

• 1 month later...

Congratulations and well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Personally, I think it takes a measure of real skill to build a plastic model and have it be indistinguishable from wood. You did very well!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Impressive build of a challenging model. She turned out just incredible! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 months later...

Hello again! I returned back to the bomb ketch after a lot of consideration, to try and add sails. It was a difficult process, but I settled in a method. If it is done in a bigger ship, it will look better and will be easier, but tried it with it regardless. The sails are made out of silk, I tried to strengthened the edges with thread, and generally tried to make them attached to the clue lines, at least the mainsail. 

All the sails are furled since the yards are lowered in the first place. Even with silk, they cloth is very oversized in this tiny scale, so the sails dont have their actual original outline and size, but are actually reduced in surface area and cut down before folded, so their volume won't look off-scale.

In any case, the return to the Bomb Ketch was worth it, I think. I'll try to update and add other threads with my current builds as well. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I still call this one of the most amazing model builds I have ever had the privilege to follow. Now it is somehow even more impressive with the addition of the sails. Truly a masterpiece to be proud of.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you, thank you ! As I said before, many methods were tested on it, and so I insisted to give this rare kit done some justice. But it was a great lesson, hopefully Sovereign of the Seas will turn out the same, although now another kit, Royal Louis from Heller has gotten my attention. 

Just outstanding plus all the other nice things folks have said. Truly inspirational. 

Congratulations on a job well done.

Cheers, Harley 

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

8 hours ago, GeorgeKapas said:

Royal Louis from Heller has gotten my attention. 

George

If I remember correctly the Heller Royal Louis is a relatively nice kit to begin with, so in your hands it should become awesome!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...