RGL

USS Fletcher by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350

Thanks for your warm welcome mate

Roll the PE around a metal rod ... that's the easy (not very creative) part. Getting it glued, without the rod inside, and keeping it round ... now that is a different muddle. You do, however, get the hang of it when I look at the picture. i am more curious as to how you will make the open end for the tube, that is a lot harder

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Whatever it takes to get the part shaped and glued.

Greg, what is the flat round doohickey laying on the surface plate in post #54? Looks like a scraper/shaper tool?

The little brass circle? It’s just an off cut 

If the brass is first heated with a lit candle or something similar, it will soften it and make it much easier to shape/bend. Often, the brass as it comes stock without annealing is difficult to bend and wants to "spring" back to it's original shape.

12 minutes ago, RGL said:

That would have made that process at lot easier!!!!

If you try it in the future, just let the brass cool slowly after heating it. Once it cools, it will be much easier to bend and will more readily hold the shape it's bent to achieve. 

I could probably make this piece 5 times to get it perfect but that’s not going to happen. When painted it will be less noticeable. 

I only ever ever use a cigarette lighter to burn CA off PE. 

12 hours ago, CDW said:

If the brass is first heated with a lit candle or something similar, it will soften it and make it much easier to shape/bend. 

I wonder if I can anneal card stock before rolling it? 🤔

Fair job, mate. Why did you use the plastic for the superstructures anywas. It looks like one big lump of brass ... does it come in "all brass" too???

With your hard work and this detail set, this is the best looking 1:350 Fletcher I have seen to this date. The main reason I never started my Fletcher kit was due to a lack of detail items. With this set, one has all they need to do it justice.

Is this the set you used/are using?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Star-1-350-FS350064-USS-Destroyer-Fletcher-for-Tamiya/253647720702?epid=16019614719&hash=item3b0e9510fe:g:hMYAAOSwJ7dbCG22