USS Fletcher by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Looks a good solid base of colour Greg.  What is the actual colour (and Brand) f paint you used for the decks?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat, XF9 (hull red) and XF50 (blue) at a 1/2 ratio (That’s the Tamiya instructions)  I need to lighten and highlight yet as there are non slip walkways. 

Cog, I’ve done oilcanning on a lot of my builds, in particular the USS Spruance but I’ll break it down when I do it next. 

Greg

Thanks mate.  That is a very similar colour used by the RAN fore  while and I also need to do some non-slip (Devron) walk areas on my little 'lugger' so will watch with interest.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Lower hull, using a piece of card, overspray of red to highlight the ribs, then diluted coco brown to dull it down, the very dilute burnt occre to highlight. Next will be grunge which will make most of this go away, but as this is 1942, the damage and grunge would not be so bad. 

DC5BDD4B-373E-4620-9982-7C0F856DE2A4.jpeg

AFF698E1-45B2-4B75-B973-82A6F06B2BF5.jpeg

982E2625-C7AE-4D80-ACD9-51DCEC49A5F1.jpeg

4BE6C1AA-FDA3-49A4-9033-BEAB8303652E.jpeg

Greg

16 hours ago, RGL said:

but as this is 1942, the damage and grunge would not be so bad. 

Great build as always Greg

You may find that there were many of the US Navy small ships that were looking pretty grungy in the early days of the Pacific war. Long miles of steaming, shortage of upkeep and repair facilities and many other factors made a number of ships look old before their time. For those that survived into the next couple of years things improved considerably and it was much easier to keep up with maintenance and grooming needs.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It’s near impossible to find any contemporary photos, there is a website dedicated to the restoration of a Fletcher class destroyer where the hull is covered in barnacles and almost rusted through but it would be sitting fallow for years and years. The oilcanning would (I expect) get worse as the years and pounding into big waves over and over. 

Greg

Do you use masking tape or e.g. carboard to get the sharp line for the oilcanning effect? Shouldn't you have the light side from the effect at the bottom of the hollow and the dark side at the top. I know I am a pain right know. It looks like the light comes from right under. It looks very real, as if you can touch the hollow

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It’s not finished yet but I always try to have the line forward of the bow and above the gunnels. I use post it notes, as they come in lots of sizes and are thick enough that the paint won’t soak through but still soft. 

When an very five opeque overspray 20% colour/ 80% thinner it will give it more depth. That’s tomorrow’s job, as there was rugby watch this afternoon plus beer to be had. 

Greg

Just caught on to your build, fantastic as always. I thought the Orange Hobby PE sets were tough but this one takes the cake, it is one thing to lose PE parts into the carpet but to lose them into the folds of your fingerprints!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

So I tried this new modeling putty. Nope, don’t like it.  0C6B640E-57C7-41A8-AC0B-A33787597F56.thumb.jpeg.055cd86345ae46b707d4ab810e82cca6.jpeg

This is now really fiddly and slow as I’m using individual stanchions. Fading done with an airbrush and then dry brushing to bring out the details. None of this is glued yet, there are a heap of details to go. 

9F30F260-BC63-4DB6-9935-F0EFEF5AAFAF.thumb.jpeg.7ab4f0d54ade2b938f954ee5a2e449cf.jpeg

Greg

I'm not a huge fan of the PE nonskid at 1/350--it's just way too thick on the kits.  The decal versions have the opposite problem, of being too thin (and, really, way too uniform in color).

Now, I can understand how some one tasked to make PE of it might do it that way.  The WWII non-skid was thick stuff, looks almost like asphalt when applied and eyeballs to 3/8 - 1/2" thick, toe-stubbing tall on deck if you don't have your wits about you.

The color ought to be somewhere between a "panzer" gray and NATO Black, with the foredeck and main deck the most faded.  The foredeck stuff, particularly under the  ground tackle gets to a faded, speckled, color that really resembles the old faded asphalt of a country road.  An effect impossible to achieve at 1/350.

There are endless debates on other websites on how to get the "proper" USN Deck Blue.  Most of those are just pointless flame wars.  However, most agree you really want a blue hue to come through, as the tints were based on a Purple-Blue paint scale.

Tiny note--the "roundhouse" on the torpedo tubes was only used on the aft mount on Fletchers, to protect the crew from Mount 53 firing.  The mount between the stacks had no roundhouse, but had the station for the three Torpedomen and a Talker assigned there.

The oilcanning looks good, as does the paint texture below the waterline.

When you get to weathering, remember that the main and upper decks were frequently painted and subject to constant upkeep (especially around the Bridge), which then falls off a bit from about the 04 level and on up--hard to get up on masts and stacks while underway and in between drills).

That's my 2¢ from having done the juggle of what the Division or Department needs to do, and what the XO requires.

Thanks for the feedback, I put the second round house on really because it was that complicated to construct this piece it just would have looked ramshackle. I’m reasonable at PE, but this one really needs a it 10 attempts to get right.  The deck is always hard, and it’s a balancing act and if it wasn’t ‘42 it would have been a lot more faded. That being said, there is so much detail to be added yet not that much will be visible. 

Whats 04 level?

Greg

3 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the PE nonskid at 1/350--it's just way too thick on the kits.  The decal versions have the opposite problem, of being too thin (and, really, way too uniform in color).

Now, I can understand how some one tasked to make PE of it might do it that way.  The WWII non-skid was thick stuff, looks almost like asphalt when applied and eyeballs to 3/8 - 1/2" thick, toe-stubbing tall on deck if you don't have your wits about you.

The color ought to be somewhere between a "panzer" gray and NATO Black, with the foredeck and main deck the most faded.  The foredeck stuff, particularly under the  ground tackle gets to a faded, speckled, color that really resembles the old faded asphalt of a country road.  An effect impossible to achieve at 1/350.

There are endless debates on other websites on how to get the "proper" USN Deck Blue.  Most of those are just pointless flame wars.  However, most agree you really want a blue hue to come through, as the tints were based on a Purple-Blue paint scale.

Tiny note--the "roundhouse" on the torpedo tubes was only used on the aft mount on Fletchers, to protect the crew from Mount 53 firing.  The mount between the stacks had no roundhouse, but had the station for the three Torpedomen and a Talker assigned there.

The oilcanning looks good, as does the paint texture below the waterline.

When you get to weathering, remember that the main and upper decks were frequently painted and subject to constant upkeep (especially around the Bridge), which then falls off a bit from about the 04 level and on up--hard to get up on masts and stacks while underway and in between drills).

That's my 2¢ from having done the juggle of what the Division or Department needs to do, and what the XO requires.

Ex service then?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for your service CapnMac. Your additions to this build log have been a treasure for the Fletcher fans.

RGL, great work. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

23 hours ago, RGL said:

Whats 04 level? 

Naval vessel decks are numbered in "hundreds" so the main deck is 100, Second deck (down) is 200, and so on.
Superstructure decks (until 1947) were in "tens" from main deck up.  So, top of the deckhouse is 01, next level up is 02, and so on.

After '47, the upper decks would be 0100, 0200, etc.  (and this can be quite a stack of deck numbers on a carrier, like 01300 and more).

For relatively new WWII nonskid, NATO Black with a drop or two of pale gray is probably your ticket.  If you paint them in batches and they don't quite match, that's actually more prototypical. 

Personally, I like just enough color variation so that the anchor chain, painted semi-gloss black will show up different in hue than the nonskid it rides over.

4 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

NATO Black with a drop or two of pale gray is probably your ticket

Which is all very nice, but how many drops of black, or for that matter, ml

I can do a single drop of black and stil have a darkish grey with two drops of pale grey

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...