La Belle Poule 1765 by MTaylor - Scale 1:64 - POB- French Frigate from ANCRE plans

Thanks for the likes and comments.  I pushes me to do better.

One thing I've found is that due to size, I can't put in much detail on most of these carvings.   However, it seems to be a quirk of the mind to fill in things.   I was working on the front porch and some neighbors came by... they looked at what I've been working on and then started asking about things they saw that I never carved liked feathers on the one raven I have done.   I need to look into as it's stirred my curiosity.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you have time, check out Netsuke carving on YouTube.  It's just unreal what some of those artists carve; I think they mostly all have to create their own tools tho.

Alan

18 hours ago, knightyo said:

If you have time, check out Netsuke carving on YouTube.  It's just unreal what some of those artists carve; I think they mostly all have to create their own tools tho.

Alan

I have.  I also have or maybe had a book on those carvings.   I'll have to check some boxes.  Very unreal what they do.

Speaking of carvings, here's where I am so far.  One shot close up and the other to show placement using my "dummy" stern.  The "dummy" is about 5" wide (130 mm). A bit of a pain if I screw up, the piece goes to the trash and I start over.   Next up are the leaves (?) and then the main event, the Arms of France.

DSCF3214.JPG.20e6cadfb570a3b9fc620cce269a5d2e.JPG

DSCF3213.JPG.563fcd6293b84a0465943d6b0a5bc08a.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All I can say at this moment is thanks for the likes and comments.   My eyes are crossed and happily the two carvings I'm working will soon be done.  They're the smallest.

I really don't know how Hubac's Historian can do the carvings he does at that size and with all the detail on his Soleil Royal.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You're doing a much better job that I could aspire to Mark.  If this is what you do with your eyes crossed, well what would you achieve if ....

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good question, Pat. I'm adjusting to the new glasses but I'll keep my options open.  My optometrist thinks that in about a year, I'll need lens replacement on my eyes.  If I get the surgery before I'm ready to install the tiny bits, I'll re do them.  But at least I'll know what I'm doing then.  This is still deep learning.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

After much hair pulling, naughty words, and rending of garments... the leaves are done.   I'm going to leave them on the backing for now.   Fragile and tiny.   I'm happy they're done and will have a (in my opinion) well deserved adult beverage.   Tomorrow, I face off with the Arms of France which just above the stern windows.   

Sorry for the "bad" photo... I'm pushing my limits here on photography also.  In person, I they do look better.... maybe it's my lighting.  I work on that.

DSCF3219.JPG.7724f7465e4c01159dd17e424d6e7b97.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Continuing the carvings.  Still working on the "Arms of France".     As a side thing and maybe to check my sanity (there is a little left it seems) I did the shield for the figurehead.  Don't look to hard but in person, the three doodles in the center aren't clear so could pass for three Fleur-de-lis.  The center is inset and doodles are standing proud.  Now my head hurts.DSCF3229.JPG.9322349a6d103ebc0230e0f8521601f8.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Jack.  I've put this back on the bench.  I think I can do better.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

"Ye people, rend your hearts! Rend your hearts, and not your garments!"

-from Mendelssohn's Elijah

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

A magnificent piece of music, JD! I've had the privilege of singing it (chorus!) a few years back. But I digress....

Carving at such small scale is tough. Do you have good, directional light to work by, Mark? That alone can make a huge difference. A few years ago I invested in a set of miniature carving tools from Mihail Kirsanov. It improved my success rate considerably.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I do have good lighting, Druxey and also a complete set of the old Dockyard chisels (they came in several packages of 6 each) and are well honed. Also some surgical blades (Swann-Morton and Havel's) which I keep honed.

The only power tools being used are the laser (to etch the design, not cut) and my jig saw to cut it out.

I'm currently working on the major stern carving and it's been a steep learning curve, sometimes frustrating, but overall, very satisfying.  Not sure why I'm obsessed with getting the carvings done, but this last is trying my soul.   Like the others, it's cut out and then glued to a backing plate.  I did some testing and found that by "painting" it with PVA and water mixed, I'm not seeing the breakage or splintering of the small, thin parts.    Hopefully, this week I'll do one that I'm happy with.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Question for the group: I see people from Europe referring to this vessel as Le Belle Poule, not La Belle Poule. The word poule in French is in fact feminine (for chicken, or a colloquial for something that is loved), so the La would appear to be correct at first glance. But I think they may use Le because essentially we are abbreviating "Le Vaisseau Belle Poule" (the vessel named Belle Poule) to Le Belle Poule. Any insights? Anyone from overseas want to weigh in?

Or perhaps this has already been discussed...

JD

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Where did you see the masculine form ? In fact, the 'La' is not a grammatical article here, but part of the ship's name in French. In Germanic languages we typically do not use the article in ship names, at least not in this kind of name, hence we tend to drop it from French names.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I saw it in Frolich's text on ship modeling by Ancre (English translation).

JD

Hmmm.... interesting.  The monograph uses "la" since that is the name on the stern. I had a look and I'm not sure why Frolich used "le" for the name.  Might be an error is translation. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just catching up Mark,   that is some lovely work you are doing  and  with your carvings  - nothing can be taken away from the skill to even attempt such a task  - hats duly taken off my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Mark, I admire a man who takes his job seriously. Because it's all about the details. And I've learned something from your work. Open-minded, friendly, discreet, all in your position. I noticed that the angle adjustment of the background inspired me a lot! Because I have several such accessories, although the accuracy is not high, but convenient, intuitive is the advantage. It is often more practical to deal with some common processes. Inspired me to design other tools. Thank you!

1788441451_QQ20210707115136.png.51ae16f3bc4a61234ed799a9c25a6f97.png

40 minutes ago, bitao said:

Mark, I admire a man who takes his job seriously. Because it's all about the details. And I've learned something from your work. Open-minded, friendly, discreet, all in your position. I noticed that the angle adjustment of the background inspired me a lot! Because I have several such accessories, although the accuracy is not high, but convenient, intuitive is the advantage. It is often more practical to deal with some common processes. Inspired me to design other tools. Thank you!

Thank you.  That is a Hitachi CW-40 scroll saw. It basically allows the deck to be rotated for angle cuts.  You might get some better pictures on the internet.  If not, I'll be glad to take some photos at different angles for you.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

4 hours ago, jdbondy said:

Well if that's what's on the stern, that settles that!

I agree. I took a look at Frolich's site and using the French language choice, he calls it "Le" there also.  I'm sticking with ANCRE at this point.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,That's very kind of you. In fact, my basic tools are comprehensive. But because the Chinese are so sorry, many of the world's best tools are scarce at home and often more expensive. Although the online shopping is very convenient, but involves the procedure, the transportation, the time, the assembly model processing gadget is nearly all blank (mainly is Proxxon) , after all, the domestic real player is not many. So many special tools, I am based on their actual needs of the design and production. It's another fun thing for me to do with models!

On 7/6/2021 at 11:40 PM, bitao said:

Mark,That's very kind of you. In fact, my basic tools are comprehensive. But because the Chinese are so sorry, many of the world's best tools are scarce at home and often more expensive. Although the online shopping is very convenient, but involves the procedure, the transportation, the time, the assembly model processing gadget is nearly all blank (mainly is Proxxon) , after all, the domestic real player is not many. So many special tools, I am based on their actual needs of the design and production. It's another fun thing for me to do with models!

Bitao,  I had to give this some thought.   I recall that some had a saw without a tilt-table who made one using some wood and hinges.  But, I can't remember where I saw it.   Maybe that would work.   As I recall, the hinges were screwed to the existing top and the wood deck was raised by wedges.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well... I think the Arms of France are about done.   Needs some tweeking on the left side still but for now, I'm putting it away to work on some planking and hope my eyes uncross.  At a "normal" viewing distance it looks pretty good considering it's size.  Still have more carvings but.... need a break.  I may decide to re-do the carvings later on once I've have my mind cleared as there are some things I think I could do better and I need to stop comparing them to the 1:48 scale work I've found on line.

DSCF3240.JPG.db6b3be063876d19ccc703519128e3d8.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just now, wefalck said:

You are getting better, Mark, practice helps.

How do you fix the parts during carving ?

By "fix" I assume you mean "hold"?    After laser etching, I cut them close as possible and then glue it to piece of scrap wood, much like what's the photo.   I used Swiss pear for the photo backing since I wanted to see what it would look on the planking.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: