La Belle Poule 1765 by MTaylor - Scale 1:64 - POB- French Frigate from ANCRE plans

3 hours ago, malachy said:

Through industrial espionage missions educational trips of their shipwright trainees. These were a part of the very thorough education danish naval engineers received on the way to the top post of fabrikmester (with tasks similiar to the british surveyor). For example, Frantz Hohlenberg travelled to France, England, the Netherlands, Italy and Sweden before he was recalled to Danemark.

Um, 'step'? The transition from 'normal' planking/diminishing strakes to the wales? :)

Yes.

1 hour ago, druxey said:

The illustration shows what I meant, Mark: the hook is more rounded than angular.

Ah.... the inside of the hook then? facepalm_48.png.24fd0f4bb8af952a568d3e8cd0fac777.png   Got it.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Darn, you up to multiple builds too! Where do you find the time ... It is good to clear your head by doing something entirely different Mark (:huh:) As usual I'm late, must be the French hour I maintain dilligently. Now I have to thank Grant for taking that last front row seat.

I see you have your knowledgable, and resourcefull crowd gathered ........, so I will refrain interfering. I see druxey has a point (pun intended) the rounded top of the gammon. Sometiomes we just overlook the obvious ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks again for the likes...   Welcome aboard gentlemen.   

Carl,

What else do I have to do besides read MSW and play with the pup?  

Druxey,

I this better?  I think I got it.

1872125060_KneeoftheHead.jpg.a4a4b0465e0d3197c8d5c0c09604cb57.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

good to see your still modeling.......haven't seen any progress in a while.  you've always had a sweet tooth for this vessel too ;)   pulling up a seat as well

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

As I mentioned elsewhere, tore down and reworked the DeathStar with a good cleaning, tighting of all hardware and re-aligning the laser and lenses.  Seems the move distorted things more than I thought and I should have done this after it was in place and settled in.   Still didn't fix the issue I was seeing with a wider kerf.   Chuck had the answer... use a shorter focal length lens and that did the trick.   I also found the lens I had in there had a burn mark on it from who knows what... could have been a bit of ash from lens alignment months ago but all is well.   So I'm heading back to the drawing table err... computer... and start the keel/false keel work.  

Plan is to draw the pieces that will use the heavy (1/4") boxwood (keel, sternpost and stem) and cherry (false keel and bulkheads) to mark the wood and then cut using a very thin scroll saw blade.  I've found that wood that thick, the kerf is a bit of an issue in my mind as the laser cut is a narrow "V" and wider than I want.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

There is a plan in the NMM.

Belle Poule fl.1780 (French, captured) ZAZ3117 J6627

An image can be seen here:

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82908.html

Sister Ships DÉDAIGNEUSE 1776, AMPHITRITE 1768, TOURTERELLE 1770

Also:

Catalogue des Plans - Les Archives de la Marine

2030 Page 176 Frégate << La Belle Poule >>. << Construite à Bordeaux en 17.. par M GUIGNACE. L'Enphitrite & La Tourterelle ont pareillement été faites à Baux par le même ingénier .. Non signé ni daté [vers 1764].

Tracé des formes de la coque : pl. vertical. Encre noire. Dim. 0.53 x 0.40.

2G4.3, no 65

Regards,

Bob.

DeathStar is fully operational now and tested.   I've decided for the bulkheads and much of the larger/thicker pieces I'll just etch it and then cut the parts out on the scroll saw. Need a change of pace.

Along with dealing with what life has to toss my way, I worked on the rudder, the sternpost and the bow area of the keel.   The keel is pretty straight forward so everything there can be taken off the plans.  The bulkheads should be pretty straight forward once I sort out a few details and fun to do.  The next step is to do the false keel so as to set up for the bulkhead notches.

Here's the progress (that cluster of bits in the center is for the cutting):

Keel-SternPost-Rudder.thumb.jpg.e5ac67e99ba8506d2da213b71cc020ad.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's the plan, Mark.   I think some serious focus has medicinal effects for calming the mind.

Sam,

I'll see if I can help.... there's the stem (the big curved piece), then a bunch of parts for the two pieces in red: the stern post and the rudder.  Hope that helps.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I wondered if it was the Stern Post Mark. I see you cut the section for the pintles/gudgeons as a separate part and I assume that is how the French did it. Any idea why? It appears weaker than cutting from a single plank?

I highlighted the two parts I am referring to below:

Sam

Keel-SternPost-Rudder.thumb.jpg.e5ac67e99ba8506d2da213b71cc020ad.jpg.1e89f69a41634bfdd344945562432ffb.jpg

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam, I'm not 100% sure of on if that was actually done or a convention by later authors.   Logically it makes sense to make it one piece.  I'll do some more digging as I get time.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think what you are seeing is the edge of the bearding back or bevel that allows the rudder to turn freely. It is not a separate part.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I think you're right, Druxey.   Back to the drawing board.   Luckily, an easy fix.    I rechecked my sources and yes... it's the bevel.   <smacks forehead on desk> One of the French logs that I referenced, had it as I did... an extra piece.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You must 'ave flattende your forehead considerably since you started this "hobby" of self-mutilation ... glad the problem with the rudder it's an easy fix, for fixing your forehead would be another matter altogether ;) 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yep... flattening my forehead.   I have to admit, this lofting isn't as hard nor as easy as I thought.  I stumble some but it's part of learning.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Worked on the false keel today.   I'm planning on cutting it from 1/8" ply then affixing it to keel which is 3/16" boxwood.  I'll glue and pin it in place.  I'll also be gluing and pinning the bow spit, etc. into place.  

Here's the drawing.  I building in interlocking slots to get a good fit and then probably will lay some 1/16' or 1/8" stock to reinforce the joint.  Since there's only (roughly) 1 1/4" of free space between bulkheads, it's a bit of squeeze to get reinforment in place.  

The deeper I go into this, the less my head spins.  Next will cutting the bulkheads.  That should be fun... there's also some stern framing for the counter.  I'm giving thought (not serious yet... keyword "yet" to filling in between the bulkheads and other bit with basswood to give a solid surface for planking.  I'm also musing over the thickness of the bulkheads.  If I go with the basswood filling, they don't need to be as thick which makes for easier cutting and lowers the cost of the ply.

149758233_FalseKeel.thumb.jpg.bcd080ae3f4e54eb5db82b0a9247021e.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

We are using our CNC routers more and more at work for cutting parts and speeding production. Many times we are make frames similar in method to what we do here with false keels and bulkheads. Something I have found benificial is cutting a slight taper to the alignment tabs between sections of what would be the the false keel here. It doesnt take much a few degrees, less at this scale. I have also gone as far as making the pattern different between for instance join AB and BC. It makes it harder to get parts mixed up - not that I have ever done something like that. Nope! Nor Sir, not me!

Just a thought.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks Sam. I thought of the locking tabs.  I'm going to run a couple of tests to see which I like better.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the likes and comments.   The trek continues....  Here's the first two frames drafted out in CAD and laser ready.   I'll not clutter things up with the rest of them.  Be back when either I have something different drawn out or actually mangling some wood.354591058_Bulkhead1.thumb.jpg.570b1b07ab6a0fc0202c9b4291dcd46e.jpg646997281_Bulkhead2.thumb.jpg.850f72a2d318b696d634a9f0c002a1e4.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

your making progress Mark....that's what counts ;)   the parts look good!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.... this project definitely is not dead.  I've been busy with Licorne and also dealing with some real life stuff.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 months later...

I thought an update was needed.   Well, back on board the Belle Poule build.   I have a pile of drawings ready for the laser and more being worked on.  I'm currently sorting out the bow area and stern with the stern being the priority.  I'm thinking another month of drawing work and I'll be ready to actually cut wood.

Oops... forgot.  I'm also reading all the other build logs I can find which seem to be only here:  https://5500.forumactif.org/f35-la-belle-poule-1765-plans-jean-boudriot.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Plans are finished for the most part though there's a couple of "gotchas" that came across which I'll work on addressing.   Lite Ply has been ordered for the false keel, the ribs structures and the deck underlayment though I may not end up using it.  I'l be picking up some basswood blocks for use in locking the structures in place.  Hopefully, I can start building later in the week once the wood arrives.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: