La Belle Poule 1765 by MTaylor - Scale 1:64 - POB- French Frigate from ANCRE plans

18 hours ago, j.guydal said:

Hello, Mr. Taylor, I am very happy to discover this post on the construction of the Belle-Poule. I am myself on this same subject and it is very interesting for me to discover other methods and tips for the construction of this beautiful frigate. I will now follow the progress of this subject with the greatest interest, thank you for this sharing.J.Guydal.

Jacques, thank you visiting my log.  I've been following yours since I started and it has been very helpful.

13 hours ago, cog said:

j.guydal, do you have a buildog somewhere ?

Carl,

Here it is:  https://5500.forumactif.org/t3216-la-belle-poule-de-1765-au-1-48-par-guydal   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 hours ago, cog said:

j.guydal, do you have a buildog somewhere ?

Hello, I am surprised but also very happy to know that my "post" on the French forum concerning the Belle-Poule could have been useful. Like what, the passion for model making has no borders.
Do a "buildog?" that I translate by: site monitoring and that the Google translator speaks of: "newspaper". Why not, of course if a few can learn from it. I do not yet know very well the rules of this forum largely because of the language. I still haven't figured out how to put photos on it.
Thank you for your interest in my work, I will study this possibility of "Buildog? »But before that, I must learn the functioning and the subtleties of this forum.
Good day to you, Jacques

Bonjour, je suis surpris mais aussi très content de savoir que mon "post" sur le forum français concernant la Belle-Poule aurait pu être utile. Comme quoi, la passion du modélisme n'a pas de frontières.
Faites un "buildog"? que je traduis par: surveillance du site et que le traducteur Google parle de: "journal". Pourquoi pas, bien sûr, si quelques-uns peuvent en tirer des leçons. Je ne connais pas encore très bien les règles de ce forum en grande partie à cause de la langue. Je n'ai pas encore compris comment mettre des photos dessus.
Merci de l'intérêt que vous portez à mon travail, j'étudierai cette possibilité de "Buildog?" Mais avant cela, je dois apprendre le fonctionnement et les subtilités de ce forum.
Bonjour à toi Jacques

Edited by j.guydal
ajout texte en français

My apologies for writing "buildog" when I meant "build log".    Thanks Tony for posting the correction.

Alan,

I'm sorting that out now for the gun deck.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, knightyo said:

Mark,

Are you going to curve your deck planks as well, or have them run straight from end to end?

Alan

That's one of things I'm sorting out at this time.  I'm arguing with myself as roughly 75-90% of the gundeck will not be visible.   So I'm arguing about how much detail to have.  The upper/main deck certainly will be tapered and curved to the best of my abilities.   The problem that bothering me is that at 1:64, the ends of the planks at the bow and stern become really narrow.  I hope to start laying deck planks this week and then start the framing for the gun ports.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

15 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's one of things I'm sorting out at this time.  I'm arguing with myself as roughly 75-90% of the gundeck will not be visible.   So I'm arguing about how much detail to have.  The upper/main deck certainly will be tapered and curved to the best of my abilities.   The problem that bothering me is that at 1:64, the ends of the planks at the bow and stern become really narrow.  I hope to start laying deck planks this week and then start the framing for the gun ports.  

I hear that.  I'm in the same spot with my 1:64 Triton.  I was going to bite the bullet however, and fully plank the gundeck in order to practice.  I've never installed tapered planks on a deck, so even though most of the work won't be visible, it's still worth the practice time to me.  Where I stalled however, was trying to determine how to actually lay that kind of pattern down on my false deck.  Running straight from end to end is simple, but how to find/make a suitable tapering pattern?   

Alan

Valid questions for which I have no answer.  I'm trying to look ahead (really murky that far ahead) and have made some notes to myself such as matching the drawings and possibly even laser cutting the planks.  But I have long way to go before then.  This week I'm finally gluing planks to the gundeck and setting up for the ports build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Indeed it is, KP.   Seems I spend more time figuring out how to do something while keeping in mind what has to be done later than anything else.   But, good exercise for the brain.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.   I did a lot of soul-searching to get to this point as there's a couple ways to go so I decided to simplify things.  I've laid the gundeck using two methods.  One is for the areas that won't be seen (and that's most of it) which is simply a single large plank of thin yellow ceder.  The center area is boxwood planks.  I went forward and aft enough on the boxwood to add some details where things will be seen.  I've also added the waterways before the decking.  The boxwood still need sanding and the grates (which have planks such as used in bad weather).  I'm thinking I'll just actually use a grate where needed and paint that area on the deck black.   

Next up after getting the deck sanded is framing in the gunports. I'll use the method that   Jacques is using.  I'll start that ports at mid-ship and work fore and aft as it just seems logical to me.  When I get to the aft end, I'll need to work on the stern area.    

Having fun, exercising the brain and upper body with the sanding.  I put the boat from the wreck of the Licorne just get a sense of things.

1-25.thumb.JPG.6e403b6a71cca10bcdcafc0345f1f772.JPG1-26.thumb.JPG.c2061c3cfe32f9cf47380047bece98ae.JPG1-27.thumb.JPG.54ce55c4b5aea6488c59c265bfaf3823.JPG1-28.thumb.JPG.9c02894385ab36b5250187eda468d4e1.JPG1-29.thumb.JPG.51ac0ca13826dec8418c3c9a9cc84752.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good now Mark, bet you're glad the real dusty bit is done😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That sectiopn of deck looks great Mark; look forward to seeing more of her.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

6 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Looking good now Mark, bet you're glad the real dusty bit is done😁

The dusty bits are just starting, Edward.  ;)  There's two decks, the framing that needs to be added, and planking.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 5/14/2020 at 5:25 AM, mtaylor said:

The dusty bits are just starting, Edward.  ;)  There's two decks, the framing that needs to be added, and planking.

Yes I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.🤪

Realized my goof when you reposted. 😖

I'll get my coat😂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

7 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yes I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.🤪

Realized my goof when you reposted. 😖

I'll get my coat😂

No worries.  I get brain-farts on a regular basis... or if you prefer, some call them "senior moments".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, the very obvious "waist" in the bulwarks is really quite an interesting feature. It will be really interesting to see it planked. Do you have any idea why they did it like that? 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

6 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Mark, the very obvious "waist" in the bulwarks is really quite an interesting feature. It will be really interesting to see it planked. Do you have any idea why they did it like that? 

Good question, Keith.  My answer is pure speculation.  I think it's to make things easier with the ship's boats.  Not just lifting and launching but also getting over the bulwarks and down the ladder to them.    There is a walkway that runs from the forecastle to the sterncastle/poop.   But again this is a guess.  I'm also trying to figure why they ran the sterncastle/poop to in front of the main mast.   The 8-pdr frigates (most of them it seems) had that deck shop short on the aft side of the mast. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Just a bit of an update.... one is one of those little things just bug the heck out of you..    The plans show the main mast coat area with eyebolts on gundeck.  It's bugged me since I couldn't figure out how the rigging would reach it.   A bit of research on other sites, shows it needs to be on the weather deck.  Much foul language ensued while fixed it. 

Oops.JPG.3791195233a0d814a08e45d459617aa8.JPG1082046885_Oopsfix.thumb.JPG.6340b80c920d41d8460fe20c36b510e3.JPG

The major work was adding ribbing.  I just need to add the port sills and sort out the stern and then... sanding.

1-30.thumb.JPG.f247d207fa78d94fe4420400116e7470.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A neat fix, and something you will be happy to have finalised Mark - nothing worse than that wearisome bugging minor issue nagging away at you.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

I am happy about it.  Just a lesson for me to check not just the prints but the rigging drawings.  And also... check logs of those who have been there. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just a bit of an update.... one is one of those little things just bug the heck out of you..    The plans show the main mast coat area with eyebolts on gundeck.  It's bugged me since I couldn't figure out how the rigging would reach it.   A bit of research on other sites, shows it needs to be on the weather deck.  Much foul language ensued while fixed it. 

Oops.JPG.3791195233a0d814a08e45d459617aa8.JPG1082046885_Oopsfix.thumb.JPG.6340b80c920d41d8460fe20c36b510e3.JPG

The major work was adding ribbing.  I just need to add the port sills and sort out the stern and then... sanding.

1-30.thumb.JPG.f247d207fa78d94fe4420400116e7470.JPG

Very nice fix Mark . Vlad

• 1 month later...

Proof of life.   Still slugging away at this.  I have installed all the port sills and everything has had a good sanding.  More will be done just before planking starts.   I'm still working on the stern which is giving me pause.  Too many complex curves involved but I think I have it sorted.  Maybe one more time to get it right then planking.    I'm holding off sanding the interior at this point as the Lite-Ply is very fragile and one slip and a minor disaster for repair.  Live and learn.   Here's pics of the state of work.

1-31.JPG.7afceb1751dadd08cf2e354a783134af.JPG1-32.JPG.ecde1cdbaafbe6fc301386cd97f6492d.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, nice to see you back on this build. She's going to be a lovely ship. 

lovely work Mark

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat