L' Hermione by MESSIS - Artesania Latina - 1/89 - 2nd build

• 1 month later...

Main mast backstays, top mast and top gallant backstays.(to those friends interested in greek,  topmast backstays=επίτονοι άνω ιστού, topgallant backstays=επίτονοι παπαφίγκου)

επιτονοι παπαπ.jpg

επίτονοι γαμπιας.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

So its Christmas time and I have closed down the shipyard. Everybody can now welcome their grandsons and all their beloved ones. This is what I will  be doing myself. But still.... I have let a small part of the shipyard open... maybe -when everybody sleeps- I get a chance to work occasionally on block staining and the  fore mast shrouds... who knows, maybe I catch Santa coming down through the chimney and have together a  glass of Monkey  Shoulder single malt scotch!

so...  merry christmas and a happy new year to all...

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year to all. Rigging is about to start. Hermione’s kit needed some upgrading also in the lines and blocks issues.

Concerning the black standing rigging lines, diam. 0.15 mm, 0.5mm and 0.8mm, those have been replaced by I purchasing rope of fine quality from Modellbau Tagelgarn. I have also upgraded the diameter size of them upwards, by replacing the 0.15mm with a 0.5mm, the 0.5 mm diameter rope with a 0.8 mm and the 0,8 mm with a 1.2 mm diameter. It looks better this way, because the kit’s lines look thicker than the good quality rope from M.T.. For the hemp running rigging am going to use the lines in the kit, the quality of those isn’t so bad and also 0.15 and 0.25mm diameters are  too thin to worth an upgrade.

Concerning the blocks and the closed hearts, Syren Ship Model Co. had provided me with fine quality single, double, triple blocks and closed hearts. Again, I went on 5mm instead of 4.5 for the single block, the 6mm double remained and what the triple blocks concerned, there are just two for the anchors, I used a 6mm instead of 7mm. Lastly I purchased 12 pieces of 7mm closed hearts of excellent quality, which they were delivered from Syren Moel Co for me to assemble. The dead-eyes remain the ones of the kit.

24 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Happy new year to all. Rigging is about to start. Hermione’s kit needed some upgrading also in the lines and blocks issues.

Concerning the black standing rigging lines, diam. 0.15 mm, 0.5mm and 0.8mm, those have been replaced by I purchasing rope of fine quality from Modellbau Tagelgarn. I have also upgraded the diameter size of them upwards, by replacing the 0.15mm with a 0.5mm, the 0.5 mm diameter rope with a 0.8 mm and the 0,8 mm with a 1.2 mm diameter. It looks better this way, because the kit’s lines look thicker than the good quality rope from M.T.. For the hemp running rigging am going to use the lines in the kit, the quality of those isn’t so bad and also 0.15 and 0.25mm diameters are  too thin to worth an upgrade.

Concerning the blocks and the closed hearts, Syren Ship Model Co. had provided me with fine quality single, double, triple blocks and closed hearts. Again, I went on 5mm instead of 4.5 for the single block, the 6mm double remained and what the triple blocks concerned, there are just two for the anchors, I used a 6mm instead of 7mm. Lastly I purchased 12 pieces of 7mm closed hearts of excellent quality, which they were delivered from Syren Moel Co for me to assemble. The dead-eyes remain the ones of the kit.

Syren Model Co closed hearts.jpg

Syren Model Co blocks.jpg

Modelbau Tagelgarn.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

• 1 month later...

Standing rigging almost finished. Some shoe paint was used in order to clean the glue stains from the ropes.  The ''binding thread'' (auxiliary thread used to bind standing rigging ropes in position) was waxed for better adhesion. All the standing rigging  ropes (from Modellbau Tagelgarn), were excellent quality and I have not treated them in any way. Mizzen mast backstays still to go.

stand rig stern.jpg

standrigging fore.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Yards have been formed and then prepared with a  pass of cellulose sealer and then had a fine sanding with a 240 and 320 sandpaper. After that two passes of black acrylic vallejo paint did the miracle.

After drying the yards were equipped with their fine quality  double and triple blocks from Syren Model ship Co.

20200220_112011.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

Two jib sails  (inner jib and fore mast staysail) in position. The wind blowing I think isnt bad, but the main or standing jib, is still not going to be used.

Forecourse  sail is also in place (not fully secured) but the yard is fastened through the parrel and its trucks on the mast.

Τρότσα.jpg

20200304_130200.jpg

20200304_130223.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...