Byrnes Saw Auction - See in Naut General Discussion ×
marktiedens

Potholes

Anyone else out there having trouble with potholes in the streets?  In my area they are so bad you can`t drive in the outside lanes of the four lane streets unless you like paying for blown tires & bent suspension parts. Driving on the two lane streets is like driving through an obstacle course!  Been driving here for 50 years & I don`t recall them ever being this bad.  The city(Des Moines) seems to be more interested in building bike trails ,skate parks,etc.,etc., then complain that they don`t have enough money to properly maintain or repair the streets without raising taxes again(which they just did).

Mark

Here in Aiken SC we don't have the pothole problem you do in the North, but we do have a similar problem downtown. In one section of the main (divided 4 lane) main street, there are four or five drain grates that are several inches below street level on the "passing" side. They are in the area that your wheels would normally go over, not the center of the lane.  To avoid them you have to swerve close to the other lane, as there is parking on the other side, preventing you from serving that way! I always shift into the "slow" lane to avoid this section, as do many others. These drains have been in this condition for at least the 26 years I've lived here!

The city has spent most of their tax money adding fountains, fancy street lights, parks in the center divider, etc. including a 1 cent per dollar extra sales tax, but they never fix these drains!

I've never blown a tire, but I did blow a McPherson(sp) strut on them!

We don`t have the drain grates in the traveled part of the roadways,but every time they resurface a street they don`t raise the manhole covers,so running over them is almost like hitting a small pothole.  I know they can raise them because they have done so in a few places. Considering the cost of resurfacing it can`t cost that much to add a spacer  or thicker cover.

Mark 

It seems strange, but have you noticed how often you come to a Scott hole (in honor of our ex Governor) that you meet a car coming at you to keep you from avoiding the hazard!  Our state spent all the transportation dollars on making new round abouts just about everywhere rather than fixing the existing roads and bridges that really needed it!

Yes,same here.  The city in their infinite wisdom is starting soon on a "beautification" project along one of the major north-south streets that is full of holes:huh:.  had a story on the evening news tonight about how all the repair shops are swamped with tire & wheel repairs. The bad thing now is we are getting a lot of snow melt,so the holes are full of water and you can`t see them.

Mark

Last month Toronto announced so far in 2019 they fixed 13,000 potholes in 2019. In a single day blitz they say they did 4000.  I see no evidence of it on Highway 401 (the busiest highway in North America) where I dodge an obstacle course every day. Some of these are more than 12 inches deep. Enough to lose a filling when your jaws clang together. It’s quite awful. 

That's interesting Haliburton

I have driven in BC a few times and thought their streets were better maintained than ours. I guess that just like here it is not the same all over Canada.

A few decades ago, the Mayor of Pittsburgh ran for the Governor of PA, under the campaign slogan that he had ballanced the city's budget during his term. He won, and then we found out how he had done the ballancing. He almost completely eliminated the city street repairs! When he left, the streets looked like a war zone!

I'm probably dating myself here, but I remember an episode of The Real McCoys where Grandpappy  (Walter Brennan) was upset over a long standing pothole in the road at the end of their driveway.  No amount of complaining to the county could get anyone to come out and fix it.  So they took maters into their own hands and tried to fix it themselves.  The next thing they knew, they had the police and government officials at their door saying that they had no right to do that as it was against the law to fix it themselves. :huh:

Many years ago in Baltimore, there was a city playground that was covered in graffitti. The neiborhood complained many times, but the city never cleaned it up. So, two mothers bought paint and painted all the equipment and the concrete. The police showed up a couple days later and arrested them for "Defacing Public Property"! They were convicted, and sentenced to having to remove all the paint, including the original graffitti!

Our government at work!

So the potholes are winning then?  Seems normal.  I guess I'm just glad where I am we don't see many. Come to think of it, I don't remember running across many when I was driving across the pass everyday.   Hmmm...  we don't use salt here but sand. I do remember the potholes in the midwest (Ohio, Illinois, Missouri) and they all used salt.  But coincidence isn't causation. 

I could loan you my Mini Cooper with the JCW suspension and you would change your mind Mark. The suspension picks up ANY little bump or crack and makes it FEEL like a pothole. Super great for cornering but you pay the price on some city streets and older back country highways. You don't want to ever drive in Seattle. I think their road crews go out and install potholes just to encourage people to take public transit!

Edited by lmagna

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

more craters than the Ho Chi Min trail in Vietnam after a B52 bombing run.

AH HA! That is how they do it in Seattle! They secretly take the B-52 from the Museum Of Flight out at night and Viola! Instant multiple pot holes! It's a conspiracy!

20 hours ago, lmagna said:

I could loan you my Mini Cooper with the JCS suspension and you would change your mind Mark. The suspension picks up ANY little bump or crack and makes it FEEL like a pothole. Super great for cornering but you pay the price on some city streets and older back country highways. You don't want to ever drive in Seattle. I think their road crews go out and install potholes just to encourage people to take public transit!

I had a little Mazda back than, Lou.   It was 75 miles one way and I did the round trip every week day for almost 3 years.  Only missed maybe 1 or 2 days.    Went through tires though.  Usually 2 sets per year.    Best time was less than one hour headed home.  2nd best tme... well... it would have been if there hadn't been a cop at the bottom of one of the dips. :P  He wrote me up a ticket for a lot less than what I was doing.  He saw out there practically every day and some mornings I'd stop at the rest area if he was there and chat, have a cig, and coffee.  Fun times.

That was like my ex brother-in-law. He had a El Camino with I believe a 350. But it could have been a 454. Whatever it was he liked to show off the power by punching it at a dead stop and lighting the tires up. I watched him go through what had to be 20,000 miles of tires while going nowhere once when he just stayed in the gas and let them smoke. I think they would have gone flat on him if he had not let up!

At any rate he wanted to find out just how fast he could go and talked a CHP into letting him run one night/early morning with the patrol cruiser keeping track as the El Camino's speedometer only went up to 120 MPH or something like that. They did the run but he was still at a loss as the patrol car was unable to keep up with him! His meter was over 130 when he started falling behind though. There is no way he could get someone to do that these days even in a small community like that one. Like you said, "Fun Times"

As a side note I watched a car run a flashing red stoplight in the early morning hours once and pulled him over. When I told him why I pulled him over he said without hesitation that "I went through between the flashes" :wacko: :D I was stopped dead in my tracks and looked at him as if I could not believe what I had heard. I had no idea what to say in reply! It was also probably clear that I was having some problems with keeping a straight face. I ended up telling him to get the H*** out of there and I didn't want to seem for the rest of the night! I spent the rest of the night chuckling whenever I thought of his comment. If it had been me, my mind works too slow and I would have only thought of a reply like that two or three days later!

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, thibaultron said:

A few decades ago, the Mayor of Pittsburgh ran for the Governor of PA, under the campaign slogan that he had ballanced the city's budget during his term. He won, and then we found out how he had done the ballancing. He almost completely eliminated the city street repairs! When he left, the streets looked like a war zone!

Our former Governor used the same tactic, only he did it for our entire state.  I have learned to beware of politicians who say they will cut your taxes, because they will merely eliminate some other essential services to do it. 

Edited by BETAQDAVE