Buckboard Wagon by JohnB40 - Model Trailways - 1:12 Scale

Greetings to all

I needed a break from the hull planking on my Model Shipways Confederacy build. I really enjoyed building Model Trailways Chuck Wagon during my last hiatus and wanted to try another "wagon of the west". I always liked the look of MT's Buckboard,so when I saw it on sale I ordered it.

The kit is nicely put together with good plans,instruction book,laser cut wood parts.photo etched parts and cast parts.

Buckboard 006.JPG

Buckboard 012.JPG

Buckboard 002.JPG

The first thing on the agenda is cleaning up the castings. There is a lot of flashing and general roughness to take care of. With the larger parts such as axles etc I used small amounts of JB Weld to fill in voids and imperfections. When cured,I cut it back with files and fine sandpaper. Then the castings are then cleaned in alcohol and sprayed with flat black primer. When all the cast bits have been through this process,I will use a finish of flat black enamel. I am unsure if I can use the cast rails for the seat/bed,or will have to make my own like Dan did on his stagecoach build. It will take a bit of time to get through all these small pieces. I will use Brass Black for the PE parts.

Buckboard 013.JPG

Buckboard 016.JPG

Buckboard 020.JPG

looks to be a very delicate model ;)    I'm a big fan of the westerns of the old days.......Wagon train,  the Rifle man,  Gun Smoke,  Bonanza....to name a few.   look forward in seeing more  :)    prep work is very important  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

I've been busy lately,but now have some time to get back to hobbies...Spent a fair bit of time prepping the cast parts for the kit. I have removed all flashing,reshaped and painted them with matte black primer. I have finished some with matte black top coat,but many need drilling before assembly ,so I will wait until that is done to finish off the rest. 

I have now assembled the wagon bed. The kit supplies laser cut wood panels and nails to simulate the screws holding the cross braces in place. For some reason I painted the heads instead of using Brass Black. The nails are pushed through with a tiny drop of CA applied on the shank. They are then clipped off as close as possible and then filed flush with a mill file and sanded. The cross braces were aligned to the bed using brass rod through the corresponding laser cut holes and bonded together. I stained the wood with General Finishes water based golden oak. It is my first experience with water based stain after years of using Minwax oil based. I like the results. I am thinking of using it on the Confederacy build as I have only used oil based stain on the counter,so any slight difference in shade will not be noticed. The bed was finished with Dulcote.

The seat assembly comes next....But I need to do a little more hull planking on the Confederacy before.

004.JPG

006.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

the nails look really good.........I say that,  because I have an abundance of 10 mm brads,  collected from all my past kits,  but I find I have to comb through them to find the perfect ones.  some of them are really malformed.   I wasn't at all worried about the hiatus.......I do the very same thing,  as I have many other projects that I'm working on.   good to see the continuance  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch