Boarding nettings - what size mesh?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask - maybe it should be in "rigging".

However, wherever it belongs, does anyone know the size of mesh (and rope thickness) used in boarding nettings? This is intended for a 16th century ship, but data from any period would be helpful - I think the mesh size wouldn't be likely to change much over the centuries, as the problem to be solved didn't change much.

Any information or advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steven

I am also interested in this topic

The Mary rose looks to be a good source of information.
look here on page.80

https://books.google.be/books?id=A5-ACgAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PA80&lpg=RA1-PA80&dq=anti-boarding+netting&source=bl&ots=QPLNL7G03S&sig=ACfU3U3M84A3LtPl4L8oUqFiYkW2HW0xlQ&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil07ax1YHhAhVGblAKHUbYCrIQ6AEwCnoECAMQAQ#v=onepage&q=anti-boarding netting&f=false

image.thumb.png.9a4397e263772a73064c43a1987bc887.png

searching further 🧐

And found some more

image.png.b862a9c65955942ce204726c2d30768b.png

The mesh is about 10cm 

The rope is (roughly estimated) 1.5cm

Anti-Boarding Net _ These are fragments of anti-boarding net… _ Flickr.html

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick, that's exactly what I needed! Thanks so much! The netting is for the Great Harry, but I hadn't thought of checking out the Mary Rose, which was almost a sister ship (though smaller).

Vossiewulf, I'm sure that's the way it was. And the 10cm (4") mesh would do that very nicely, I should think.

Steven