Sign in to follow this  
realworkingsailor

Andy's Non-Maritime Adventures

For anyone paying attention at home, it's been almost two years since I had to give up my sailing career. It has not been an easy transition to a shore career, but at long last I've settled on a course of action and now am pursuing a little more education to help me get there.

Back in August 2017 I moved up to a wonderful 80 acre parcel of gently rolling forest adjacent to my grandparent's farm. One of the assets at my disposal is a sizeable section of hardwood forest (about 20 acres in size), containing a large number of my favourite type of tree.... the sugar maple.

Now that winter has begun to loosen it's icy grip, I've decided to take advantage of the situation and try my hand at making my own, home made, maple syrup. Yummy!

I began a couple of weeks ago gathering the supplies that I needed to get started, spiles and buckets, and I set out with my furry friend into the woods.fullsizeoutput_cfa.thumb.jpeg.06fe574b2366dc3de64e7632c1293744.jpeg

1685718246_ZjXiDq5SsW90V03kXfJEQ.thumb.jpg.ed275217111d72ccf0b5e64437d1516d.jpg

For a first timer, it is suggested to tap between 5 and 10 trees (I tapped 7). Each spile will yield roughly a gallon of sap a day when the weather conditions are optimal (below freezing at night, and mild during the day). A few days after I tapped my trees, the weather decided to co-operate and things started to run.

dUV57ta2TjaQCKqmnU1T6Q.thumb.jpg.9d677e6570813a29f6d4caa5e9d4ad79.jpg

My furry friend is a great help when checking the buckets

2028456817_YKK6amSqGDJnwR4buFIg.thumb.jpg.49ec207af321a9853d5ab312585ee6c0.jpg

I'm out every afternoon emptying buckets, and since the bush trails are impassable by any vehicle that I own, it generally means hauling out the sap on foot (with toboggan assistance).

fullsizeoutput_d10.thumb.jpeg.e8b40ae3b90e8b50cedd06e80d7d1feb.jpeg

Six gallons of sap ready to go.

473465986_U2qBrneSUaur4WfB9K5EQ.thumb.jpg.46a7e7b7f53d88ed90065994b148be3d.jpg

This morning I began the initial boiling. This is always best done outside over an open fire (you can use a propane burner, but you'll run through a lot of gas!). If you try to do this inside.... say goodby to your wallpaper, it takes roughly 40 parts sap to make one part maple syrup, which means A LOT of steam. For my first run, I boiled down about 6 gallons at one shot.

s8vXwNUTRGGqRkPO0fxJUQ.thumb.jpg.31f01445ba07953a0a08ea93c270eff7.jpg

After a good day's boiling (about 6 hours at a steady rolling boil), the concentrated sap was filtered (there's always little twigs and things that fall into the buckets and the big pot), and brought inside for finishing. This is the tricky part where you have to watch the temperature carefully, and make sure the syrup doesn't boil over.... or burn.

YxU6nBq2S0OFysS2B1eS7Q.thumb.jpg.f4e8de3b735ab2aa5832062051fbb2f5.jpg

Finally after an hour on the stove.... my first bottle of maple syrup, it's a little cloudy because it needs to be filtered once more to remove the nitre (also known as sugar sand, which is a result of the natural minerals in the sap precipitating out), but it's still good enough for a first attempt......bring on the pancakes!!

Andy

PS, I've got another 10 gallons of sap waiting in the shed.... and more on the way.... I think I'm going to be busy.....

Welcome back, indeed, Andy. It's been an odd season for maple syrup flow, but the next week or so looks promising in this part of the world. Congratulations on your first batch of syrup. You could get free fuel by renting your reduction process out to folk who want their wallpaper removed....  BTW, does 'furry friend' have a name?

2 minutes ago, druxey said:

Welcome back, indeed, Andy. It's been an odd season for maple syrup flow, but the next week or so looks promising in this part of the world. Congratulations on your first batch of syrup. You could get free fuel by renting your reduction process out to folk who want their wallpaper removed....  BTW, does 'furry friend' have a name?

Thanks!

My furry friend is named Freyja, she’s 11 months old, and still a very energetic and entertaining puppy (and being a shepherd, she’s often stuck to me like Velcro). Sadly for the wallpaper people, I have an ample supply firewood that only cost me a couple of litres of gas and a few afternoons of work last spring. 

Andy