Joe100

SMS Baden by Joe100 - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

Aft funnel and aft searchlight platforms now finished. I have to finish the searchlights themselves.

Inspent a lot of extra time making the baffles and louvers on the air vent inside the searchlight platform, and the extra platform bracing under the platforms themselves.

D41669B0-05C5-4949-B285-E2523AA5362B.thumb.jpeg.f9e32c7439b5e4004b5ce1af57914015.jpeg97FF8E97-A506-4620-A69A-18CC01ECE7B1.thumb.jpeg.205b85704f4d94f52f5bee051a5090e0.jpeg

On 3/31/2019 at 9:55 PM, Joe100 said:

HMV does a nice job with their printing

One thing about HMV's printing I don't like much is the "starkness" of some of the black lines, especially on a light background. Halinski tend to either make them thinner or "feather" the edges of the lines, which makes it look a bit less like a card model. In saying that the Baden looks better than Emden in that regard, maybe they're improving their "artwork" :).

It looks like you've been rolling your gun barrels from paper (nicely done BTW). Were there no lathe-turned brass barrels available for this model, or did you intentionally not buy them to keep the model as much of a Card one as you could? The turned ones are quite detailed, with tapering etc. and I've used them on all three of my larger ships (Amatsukaze, Bismarck and Hood). A bit of extra cost, but I'm very happy with the results.

Danny

Posted (edited)

HMV uses an odd scale, 1/250, less common, most card models (for those that don’t know)are usually even numbers like 1/300 or 1/200, so sadly no turned barrels exist for this one. I don’t think any substitute exists, and by that I mean that while there are 1/250 barrels, none are the correct profile for Baden. I might have been able to adapt a Bismarck set, maybe. 

My upcoming Malaya in 1/200 will have turned aluminum barrels. Aluminum is better than brass because of the weight savings. Heavy brass barrels attached to card is hard to stabilize. 

Most of the HMV heavies were designed by the late Peter Brandt. I’m not sure if they’re going to be making updates to them anymore but I hope they release something new though. Most of the HMV ships have been updated over the years, sometimes not for the better. An example would be the Scheme 9 Emden. On the latest print, the ship’s boats are about 5% too small and don’t fit together. If you know ahead of time, you can easily fix it, but you have to know before you go at them with the #11 blade! That and the part numbers that don’t match the instructions, parts, laser cut, or the laser cut instructions. If you’re not careful, the instructions will seem to be having you build the bridge on top of the coaling winches!

That said, I like HMV. They can be a little quirky but that’s the fun of it!  Their art is a little stark, I agree, but I think that’s how Brandt wanted it. 

Edited by Joe100

JSC also issue models in 1/250, as does Wilhelmshavener. As for weathering, Halinski's stable of designers are the masters, with everyone else being a distant second.

One thing that HMV does pretty well that I wish more companies would emulate is producing kit-specific detail sets in laser-cut card. The card detail sets have it all over PE in terms of ease of use, and they really appeal to modelers like me who don't want to deal with the extra hassle of prepping, forming, and painting PE. It'd be nice, though, if they offered turned barrel sets.

Posted (edited)

I’ve spent some time this week on the forward superstructure. The navigation bridge, conning tower, and forward funnel are you in place. The funnel interior detail wasn’t included so I scratch built the flue uptakes. The bridge window glass was duplicated with Krystal Clear. The bridge itself has a full interior which was mostly a waste of time but fun to work on. 

I had to add a lot of extra detail to the exterior of the funnels as well, since they didn’t include the grab irons. Probably an extra 100 parts in those alone. 

8781F680-1EE5-4A82-8195-6270FAA0B545.thumb.jpeg.d742c626cc2cfa38e7ece2691ec3e723.jpeg7DAD7B39-76DB-4B7B-A115-CA4B5A642F6A.thumb.jpeg.a37c7484b110ebc29ce2a1d71c482c78.jpeg794A0F3F-17BF-467F-8FF7-D2C01767B057.thumb.jpeg.53a7bb42e925c961c920c432c1ebdfb7.jpeg9763DB5A-A861-41FB-A568-6729B359E16C.thumb.jpeg.6d4de5840c29d6223beeef3d0b1b3ede.jpeg

Edited by Joe100

The starboard bridge wing has been installed, and I added an MV lens to the navigation light. It’s a little hard to see in photos but the lens catches the light at certain angles and simulates navigation lens glass. Very subtle.

67CA3DA9-209E-4685-9A1A-76662E23A297.thumb.jpeg.8d3847c840662fd61f1a8ccce170caca.jpeg

Hey Joe100, 

How do you attach all the railings to the decks? This is fantastic build, card when done well gives the best results of any materials IMHO. Way beyond my capabilities mind. do you have to keep the finished models in a controlled environment like a giant humidor?

Glad you like it!

I only use two types of glue, “The Ultimate” PVA which bills itself as a water soluble super glue, but is just a very high quality PVA, and Zip Dry which is an archival paper glue. Neither one of these set rock hard believe it or not. I don’t use CA.  I do use spray glue for doubling of large sheets though.

Zip Dry is only used in the construction of the hull since I need a glue with zero warp. PVA warps like hell if used on any large joint.

As for storing them, they go in the glass case and so far no issues with degradation.

Someone did tell me yesterday that it was “sad” that this was “only” a paper model and I’d get more respect if I’d made it out of plastic. Sigh. So it’s nice to see someone interested in what I’m up to! Thanks again for the kind words.

3 hours ago, Joe100 said:

Someone did tell me yesterday that it was “sad” that this was “only” a paper model and I’d get more respect if I’d made it out of plastic. Sigh. So it’s nice to see someone interested in what I’m up to! Thanks again for the kind words.

I think that most people that see a really well-done card model up close can't help but be impressed by the level of detail possible with the medium. I understand what your detractor meant by his comment, though, and he probably didn't intend to offend. As for me, I harbor no illusions about the inherent value or long-term durability of my card models compared to their wood and plastic counterparts. But -- they're cheap to obtain and build in comparison too, which counts for something, besides which I just like the thrill of turning two-dimensional sheets of paper into works of art. We do this for fun, after all.

Just caught up on this wonderful workmanship. I currently have the Mauretania on hold while I work on some plastic kits. I found the skinning to be more straight forward then I expected and didn't need to fill - but then again I have no intention  of painting and weathering. I have the HMV SMS Beowulf in my stash  haven't had the guts to tackle it yet - however your model looks pretty big and may be a bit easier to work with but then again it may not if they try and cram more detail on it.

Anyway wonderful work. - will keep looking in.

Hi Joe

I sit in wonder at your skill, I'm building the same model myself l just wish l could get your perfect finish. This is my first HMV kit & l must say it's very impressive, l was surprised at how thin the card was so like yourself l stiffened the hull thank god l did. I will use your photos to help me with the build. I am 72 years old & love this hobby it gives me hours of enjoyment at a very low price, looking at your work makes me wont to do better. Thank you Joe.

Rory McNicol