covering board/margin plank

I have a question concerning making up margin planks or covering boards for a schooner from 1850. Would the joints be scarfed or butt joints. In this diagram from Chapelle's Boat Building page 321 it would appear that a butt joint would be appropriate, especially with a nibbed deck. Would this be appropriate for 1850?IMG_0086(Edited).thumb.jpg.45367a90f7fbc8264e1f989526e3f053.jpg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Kurt:

Most margin planks I have seen had the scarph joint to connect them, regardless of the nibbing. If you can, look at some specific examples of  boats like what you are modeling and perhaps that would clear it up. 

Russ

Russ, 

I looked at Pete Jaquith’s Newsboy and Eagle build and it appears he has butt joints and he is a marine architect and both ships are from the 1850s. I shot him a PM so I’m hoping to hear from him. I think it depends on the size of the vessel, larger ones are scarfed for sure.

I’m hoping it’s butt joints for obvious reasons.

Kurt

Kurt:

It has been a while since I looked at Pete's builds. Keep in mind, the margin plank and the covering board are two completely different pieces. In any case, build the model as you like. Have fun. 

Russ

Russ, You’re correct of course, the margin board would be alongside the covering board and nibbed, but you can also not have one and nib directly into the covering board. I think it depends on the size of the vessel and whether its naval or merchant and a question of the strength required. I’m thinking of a pilot boat. I really should be calling it a covering board..

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson