HMS Leopard 1790 by Juergen - 50 gun ship - 1/64 - POB

Hello,

after I put off my Triton build I started a new project. Now I want to build the 50-Gun Ship HMS Leopard 1790 (POB) ,1/64 scale

Therefor I bought the book The 50-Gun Ship from Rif Winfield. At this are the plans of the Leopard drawn by John McKay.

I don’t make many words about the build of the frames because that’s often described here on MSW.

Instead I show some photos.

post-3439-0-25855600-1367641161_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-60015500-1367641157_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-90326100-1367641152_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-21593200-1367641148_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-47969400-1367641145_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-71347600-1367641142_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-02970300-1367641139_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-68479100-1367641117_thumb.jpg

Juergen

Hi Jürgen, nice to see your build of the horrible Leopard on MSW.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

I like the way you have fitted the upper frames into the bulkheads!

I had much trouble to find the right strake at the bulkheads. Than I filled the frames it was much easier

Juergen

Hi Niklas and Adam, thanks for the kind words.

It's going on with the Main Wale. I done it in the same manner as John McKay is shown at his plans.

I made two templates at first because I must produce many equal pieces.

post-3439-0-80874100-1367752842_thumb.jpg

Also it must drawn the postion of the Main Wales to the Frames.

post-3439-0-80668500-1367752826_thumb.jpg

Thereafter began the agony

post-3439-0-09688500-1367752874_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-24697700-1367752882_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-67669500-1367752834_thumb.jpg

Here's the result

post-3439-0-73546300-1367752858_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-60135800-1367752866_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-91723800-1367752850_thumb.jpg

Juergen

Hello Jürgen,

nice to see you here!

All the best, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Excellent work on the wales.  So, I'm assuming the agony was worth it?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello, Juergen! Good work, it is pleasant to look!

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Thanks every one, your kind comments are a great motivation for me.

Excellent work on the wales. So, I'm assuming the agony was worth it?

I'm not sure. After the painting it is not a lot to view of that detail, Mark

nice to see you here!

All the best, Daniel

Yes, I'm back Daniel. But with a new nickname because my old one from MSW1.0 is already awarded.

Greetings to LU from HD! :-)

Also greetings to HD from LU ;-)

Edited by jaerschen

Much thanks Niclas. Yes I painted the Main Wales black. A black Main Wale pleases me better.

The Leopard build is just a practice for me to learn some new techniques.

What I learned :huh: ... for the next Main Wales I will try ebony wood.

Juergen

Excellent work Juergen.

I will be following your progress on this build.  I really like the way you made the hybrid, frame / bulkheads.

How did you pick your subject?

Thanks for the kind comments Jason and Michiel

@Jason

I hope to understand your question, my english is a bit horrible

It was always a dream of me to build a ship of this age, preferred a 74-Gun Ship.

Two friends of mine, also model builder, gave the advice to the 50-Gun Ship at a model show, especially of the book from Rif Winfield. The result you can see, it was love at the first sight

@Michiel

It is beach wood how you can get it in a DIY market.

I believe there is HD-Invasion on MSW :D

Juergen

Edited by jaerschen

Juergen,

Instead of paint which hides the details, think about using an ebony stain.  You get the black without hiding the grain, treenails, etc.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Juergen,

If it's already painted, yep, too late to stain unless you want to remove the paint.  Maybe next time, my friend. ;)

I've used ebony woodstain on several projects and have been very happy with it.  Beats having ebony dust on everything.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I believe there is HD-Invasion on MSW :D

Hehe :cheers: .....Btw reading the posts: i am searching for a source to get ebony wood from myself. I need some thin planks for a hull. If i should be successful i will let you know.... so you can buy your own. Better than ebony stain i think. I really dont get good results with stains..... :huh:

Thanks for the kind comment Johann, nice to see you also.

Hehe :cheers: .....Btw reading the posts: i am searching for a source to get ebony wood from myself. I need some thin planks for a hull. If i should be successful i will let you know....

Do you know this one http://www.modellbau-leisten.de/ . I got some ledges last week and the quality was well.

I sanded one Main Wale today and used black stain from Clou. I don't got ebony stain on the qiuck.

It looks much better than the black paiting.

Edited by jaerschen

Thank you very much for the adress, Juergen. I will give it a try. Since he doesn`t have ebony in his lists i will call and ask if he provides. 

Looking forward to see new pictures of your Leopard. Have a nice sunday and a nice mother`s day to all mothers that might be here! :-)

Edited by Hyposphagma

. I will give it a try. Since he doesn`t have ebony in his lists i will call and ask if he provides.

Could you tell me the result please. It's very interesting for me-

And now to the idea from Mark

If it's already painted, yep, too late to stain unless you want to remove the paint.  Maybe next time, my friend

I sanded the Main Wales about days and following this I used black stain.

How shall I put it?

You are right Mark, it looks mutch better. Thank you, the effort paid off.

post-3439-0-51514900-1368395451_thumb.jpg post-3439-0-68740400-1368395230_thumb.jpg post-3439-0-12020200-1368395237_thumb.jpg

In fact it's much better to seen as at the photos.

And also I planked the Lower Counter

post-3439-0-80776100-1368395247_thumb.jpg

Juergen,

The wales look super.  I'm glad that the staining worked out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: