HMS Leopard 1790 by Juergen - 50 gun ship - 1/64 - POB

Hi Chris,

Much thanks, your interest pleases me very well.

I used a scroll jigsaw at first that I put in a jig as you can see at the following photos.

post-3439-0-93803200-1373220100_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-18884600-1373220108_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-44415000-1373220122_thumb.jpg

On the second photo is the power button that I can press with my foot.

After I sanded with a belt sander

Oh my english, I hope that was what would you like to know :huh:

lovely work - well done

may i ask a question?

why are you working wales up wards and not closing the hull in -

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi again Juergen,

Sorry to keep asking questions! May I ask, how do you get the profile shapes for the frames? I am used to working from bulkhead drawings but these don't have as many cross-sections as a frame plan. Did you draw them yourself? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the kind comments Chris and Kevin,

You can ask what ever you want, that's a great help for me because I can improve my english ;).

@Kevin

It's much easier for me to construct the gunports at the right position instead to cut them in a closed hull.

I have some problems to make clean openings afterwards. One or two are not a problem, but this plenty of ports are a big problem for me. I don't feel like it. ;)

The frames of beech are very solid. That's a help because I'll fit the details from the Gundeck upwards.

That's the main reasons why I decided to do it at this way.

Also it's a good exercise for me of a real planking and (a bit) constuction because I would like to finish my Triton anytime.

@Chris

The bulkhead drawings from McKay are showing all the frames that you can see at my model

The McKay bulhead drawings corespond to the original drawings and they are showing every second frame.

What drawings do you have Chris?

Hi Juergen,

I am happy we can help you with your English, although I must say it is very very good already – a lot better than my German!

I have the same book as you (Rif Winfield's 50-gun ship), however, I am currently drawing the frames and keel sections for a 74-gun ship based on the Bellona Anatomy of the Ship book. I am drawing them in Illustrator to create accurate templates for cutting. This will be my first wooden period ship. I have experience scratch-building other ships/subs but not of this period.

Looking at the Anatomy drawings of the Bellona, it appears they also show every other frame too, which will be helpful.

Once I get a little further with the drawings I will begin a build log too.

Your ship has inspired me to take the plunge and do it after much thinking.

Best wishes

Chris

That will be a very interest project Chris. It's nice to hear that you will starting it in the near future.

I'll follow that build with great interest when it's nearer the time.

The AOTS of the Bellona is very good base for a build of a 74-gun ship.

Will you build in POB or POF?

Hi Juergen

It will be POF. I am currently sourcing the wood at the moment. I am considering beech or I might experiment with English oak for the frames. I am waiting for some samples to arrive so I can try cutting, shaping, sanding and see how it reacts before I decide.

The keel will be English oak.

I will post as soon as I have anything worth showing!

Chris

Hi Jürgen,

I've just found this thread and I'll be following it closely!

I started building Leopard about 3 years ago and it still has a few years before it will be near completion, but following your thread will keep me motivated. I'm also using the Rif Winfield book and plans, and as you know the plans are at a scale of 1:96. I felt that scale was going to be a little too small for me to work with so I had the plans expanded to equate to a scale of 1:80. Did you have the plans expanded to get to 1:64, or are you just making the calculations as you go?

I am in awe at your fabulous hook and butt wales! -- I tried to make these for my build but I found it was too much of a struggle, so I cheated and just went for top and butt wale planks! I'm also very impressed by your scarf jointed planks and other intricate joints that you have built in to the upper hull. This is my first real attempt at modelling anything like this, and when I started there were a few proceedures that I approached from different angles than I've seen here on the forum, but watching your build will help me stay closer to a more "proper way to build".

Keep us up-to-date with photos of your build!

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Hi Bluto

Thank you very much for nice comment.  I'm glad to hear that you will follow this log.

I just as do it as you and expanded the plans in scale 1:64. That was the simplest way.

You must build the model how you can do it. There are so much nice models without some details.

Sometime it's better to exclude some details and nevertheless your model is looking very nice.

I wish you all the best at your build.

@Chris

I hope your build is starting soon

Edited by jaerschen

Hi Bluto

You must build the model how you can do it. There are so much nice models without some details.

Sometime it's better to exclude some details and nevertheless your model is looking very nice.

Hi Jürgen,

Thanks for your response.

When I began the build I intended to make it as close to the plans and drawings as possible, but there have been a few details and proceedures that I have found a little difficult so I opted for an alternative way of doing them.

My intention for the ship is only to have it as a display item in my livingroom, and while I want it to be as accurate as possible I won't worry if there are a few things that were done a little differently. After all, it will be mostly myself who will be looking at it !

Jim.

Jim.

Hi Jürgen,

I just discovered your Leopard while admiring Ferit's Berlin. You had posted a response on his build threads. I think that he is right (:-) You artists who scratch build are really amazing. I will follow your Leopard with great admiration and pleasure.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

@Jim

That's the right attitude Jim. We are building models to have fun.

@Michael

Much thanks for the kind comment Micheal. I watched also to your thread. Your Wasa is looking great and will follow your log too.

Juergen,  I just found your build while perusing  EdT's build of the HMS Naiad. Your work is very professional and clean, good job! I will definitely be watching this build through to the end. However, I cannot wait until you complete the Leopard and return to the Triton build. I am just in the throes of starting my build of the Triton.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Hi Learner,

much thanks for the kind words and your interest. That's always a great motivation.

I'm really pleased to hear that you build the Triton, it's a great online project here on MSW.

You have much experience in model building how can I see. Your Druid and also the current progress of the Triton are looking very nice.

My heart is with the Triton. I'll follow your build with great interest

The Port Side is at the same progress as the Starboard Side.

I don't make many words because the procedure is the same.

Here some photos of the current progress.

post-3439-0-63468800-1397689371_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-94230100-1397689377_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-65432300-1397689383_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-55406000-1397689389_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-84477200-1397689466_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-29531600-1397689478_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-74652700-1397689490_thumb.jpgpost-3439-0-58324400-1397689498_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaerschen

Hi Jürgen,

That Leopard is looking great!

Can't wait to see her fully planked and the stern quarters and quarter galleries finished.

I hope you're going to show us how you construct all that intricate work around the stern. I've been having some "fun" trying to construct mine! . . . as I don't have any previous experience of doing that. (I don't even want to think about all the projects for the build that lie ahead of me, and for which I have no previous experience!) eusa_wall.gif

Jim.

Jim.

Beautiful work, Juergen.  I'm following closely.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i love the hull planking - especially some of the fancy joints - very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Jim

I fear that I don’t be a great help for you now. It will take a long time at the beginning of that phase of building. Furthermore I haven’t many experience of such a Stern. The only Stern that I build was this one of the Irene. And that was very simple.

I'll try to show the construct when the time comes and can manage the sternbuild ;)

Edited by jaerschen

Hi Juergen

it`really a great pleasure to see this Kind of skill Level and results being kept up and practiced in our newdays time of plastic and kits. I find myself also it is the individual Motivation, combined with the idias pregnant in onès mind and the neverending drive to tackle and solve difficult sequences. This Forum is a great place to Support this attitude. Keep going so well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Juergen,  I just found your build while perusing  EdT's build of the HMS Naiad. Your work is very professional and clean, good job! I will definitely be watching this build through to the end. However, I cannot wait until you complete the Leopard and return to the Triton build. I am just in the throes of starting my build of the Triton.

I have much to learn! Perhaps we will learn from each other.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Juergen

she is coming along very well I always look forward to your updates.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

• 3 weeks later...

beautifull Progress Jürgen

ist a pleasure to watch such a great model grow...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50