af Chapman English Cutter by cotrecerf - POB

Here is my long time build (> 10 years) . I'm going to pick up work on her by the end of this year. Basically its's my first ever scratch build after initial two kit models. 

Still a lot to do, but I enjoy very much thus being compelled to learn lots of new technologies and skills, materials and manufacturing know-how. With the support of this Forum I'am sure to come up with a nice model some day. 😉

P3190878.JPG

P3190879.JPG

P3190880.JPG

P3190881.JPG

P3190882.JPG

P3190883.JPG

P3190884.JPG

P3190885.JPG

P3190886.JPG

P3190887.JPG

P3190889.JPG

P3190890.JPG

P3190891.JPG

51 minutes ago, cotrecerf said:

I'am sure to come up with a nice model some day

She is a pretty little thing and nicely made. I think you have quite a good little model already.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 year later...

Nice build.  Any more progress on this model?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello Ryland,

up to date, there is no further progress of the build, .... BUT.... I bought a brandnew Table Saw plus all accessories (except tilting table for now)  from Jim Byrnes. It took surprisingly little time for shipment and bringing it through German import procedures. At present I make trials on this machine and on an Emco Unimat 3 Lathe plus Milling unit I acquired a while ago. So there are steep learning curves for me to master in integrating more machines in my modelling work.  Once I produce presentable results on my cutter build, I'll share pics.

So long. Regards

Joachim

Nice work!

I love cutters and Chapman references..

What is the source for your plans?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I discovered a box containing af Chapman plans of Architectura Navalis in the early 1980's in an antiquarian bookshop in Cologne. I got it for then 100.00 Deutschmarks. The box contains 6 carton folders with all plans, "frontispiece" showing Stockholm at the time of af Chapman and the rigging overview of all ships shown in the plans..

In this non-digital era I made lots of photocopies of the English cutter plans (side elevation and frames) scaled to 1:50. When I got internet access in the 1990's I sampled much more detailed information and could compare plans of various contemporary cutter builds, as the Chapman plans do not show much detail of deck fittings and other details.

We ship modellers are lucky nowadays: all the Chapman plans and many others are available in digitalized formats.

best regards an I hope you enjoyed a Happy Fourth!

20200705_115207.jpg

20200705_114905.jpg

20200705_114623.jpg

20200705_114441.jpg

What a treasure..   I have the soft copy of Architectura Navalis, but it doesn't come close to what you have..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I recently obtained a copy of the Chapman book on fleabay.....£10.

It's the English version published in London by Adlard  Coles.

My good fortune is that a previous owner had (very cleanly) removed all the pages from the case; so I've re-bound the text pages and left all the plans individually separate, which is a much better and convenient way to view them. Both elements sit squarely in the original case.

Though there are a wide selection of drawings, by modern standards, they are limited in value. A nice thing to have.