Armed Virginia Sloop by Dwight - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Well I got to the point with my 18th Cem\ntury long boat where it seemed finished so I'm starting my second build , MS's Armed Virginia Sloop. I've read the instructions several times especially the beginning. Next I cut out all the bulkheads , the false keel and the stempost , keel and stem. I followed John Earls advice and " cut " theerabbit beforeI installed the sten , keel and sternpost. It just seemed more practical

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

I then began work on the bulkheads. Again I listened to Mr Earl and made copies of the frame plans , cut them out leaving one side normal and the other cut to thee fairing line. These got two sided tape and were stuckto the actual bulkhead and traced the fairing to the bulkhead , flipped over and repeated on the other side.

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Dwight

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Carefully fitted each bulkhead to the center keel. Every one of the slots for the bulkheads on the keel needed attention. I used a emory board for this and it worked fine. After assembling the keel and frames a few times I was finally satisfied and began gluing the bulkheads. Thee first three , A , B , and C were a little sloppy so I added fillers pieces. The rest , so far fit fine and I'm following the instructions. That's it for now as my arthretic hands are telling me to stop.

IMG_0264.JPG

Dwight

Can someone tell me how to add the stuff below my posts like my name , what I'v built , what I'm building and whats under the bench ?

Dwight

Finished the bulkhead instillation. Only broke three. Fortunately they were easy to repair. I wonder why the manufacturer chose to align the grain perpendicular instead of horizontal. Horizontal grain would be much stronger seems to me. The bow and stern gave me fits. Hope everything is close enough so that some filler and a little ( ha ) sanding won't fix.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

Dwight

The stern frames and window frames are in, Still needs some more sandpaper work. All this sanding is killing my havds. Damn cheep camera ! Or maybe the photographer needs to be fired.

IMG_0268.JPG

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

Planked the transom. Looking at the instructions and at some of the build logs here I just didn't like the way the instructions dictated this planking. I especially didn't like the way the hull planking was supposed to wrap around the stern sooooo..... I'm gonna try something different. I know it will need some filling . Hope I can still find Mahogany filler. I've also installed the fashion pieces which still need some sanding.

IMG_0270.JPG

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

Also installed the false deck and the  waterway. I had also installed the gun ports , sills and filler blocks along with thewale but they looked so bad I cut all that out. After measuring the plan sheet and the extensions on the model I discovered they were all short so I'll and above , then install the gun ports and fillers based on the wale. Keep your fingers crossed.

IMG_0269.JPG

Dwight

Got the sides above the wale done and it turned out pretty ( for me ).Going to add the inner planking now.  I'm using Chucks instructions for the "Syren " and " Cherfull more than the MS instructions.

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Dwight

Been a while. It's kinda hard to post here if I get no responses , good or bad. 

Finished the ceiling planks , the roof over the cabin and the hull first planking. As you can see it's gonna need fome filler and a bunch more sanding which is good cause one of my contacts actually came apart and is gonna take two or three weeks to replace.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

Dwight

• 1 month later...

You’re doing well!  Keep at it!

In my opinion, planking the hull and getting the rough work done, is the hardest part of the entire process.

Detailing the hull and the deck is the fun part for me.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not dead. No I didn't throw the thing in the trash. In fact I've been slowly working on her. Finished the second planking ,the deck furniture ( some not very good but finished ) and gave her a coat of polly. Now I need to sand out the goops in the polly and re-coat her and get to work on the cannons ( yeck ). Don't know why the port and starboard are different colors in the photos , either a bad photographer or a junkey camera. Probably both.

BTW , thanks Phil , I think you're the first to comment on this build.

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

Dwight

Better pics of the planking. Also three cannons and one "rigged". I can't for the life of me get the damn thing mounted on the ship.

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

Dwight

Hello Dwight, I haven't done one of these fiddly looking beasts yet.

Have a look through this forum, you should be able to pick up a how to do or tips ect.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/15-discussion-for-a-ships-deck-furniture-guns-boats-and-other-fittings/

She is looking very nice there is a lot of work in these little things!!!

Cheers Chris

Thanks Chris , I'll have to do that.

Meanwhile I managed to get one cannon mounted. This is by far the hardest thing I've done. I'm visually handicapped so some of these small details give me a fit. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by the time I get to gun #6. Seems the blocks are too large ( 5mm ) but were almost impossible to " thread " so I'm kinda leary to try smaller ones.

IMG_0291.JPG

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

The cannon rigging is truly time consuming, even with only 6 guns to rig. But you have made a good start already.

If you want to use smaller blocks and you have some issues to work with them this is the way I did my cannon rigging on the AVS. I used 1/8´´ blocks (single and double) and used a small drill to enlarge the pre-drilled holes. The Syren blocks I used are made of castello, so they do not tend to break as easily as the supplied walnut blocks when you enlarge the holes. You may use a very small needle file as well and a magnifiing glass is also of use if you are visually handicapped. You may add after market brass hooks to the blocks, so you only have to hang the finished gun tackle into the installed eyebolts on the ship and cannon.

I also used some superglue on the rope‘s end to make it stiff, so you can easily thread it into the block and it won‘t untwist or stuck inside. I first installed all cannons with the breach lines only and then added the gun tackles later, so there is no rope mess on deck. An more easy way to add ropecoils is to cut the tackle about 1 cm after last passing through the block and glu it directly onto the deck. Then make a separate rope coil and glue that onto the tackle‘s end. But this is only one possibility. 

You may also check JpR62’s AVS build log for his method of gun rigging.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

And to bring the ropecoils to shape you may use dilluted white glue. That don‘t add to much shine to the coils after the glue has dryed. The right mixture may be 1/1 water to white glue but you may try that first with some spare rope - the consistency should be something like milk. You may soak the rope first, then form the coil around a piece of brass tube and leave it onto a piece of styrene or something with a smooth surface to prevent the coil from sticking to it. You can add more glue until the coils doesn’t soak that any more. If you have added to much glue, use a Q-Tip to wipe off the excess. Let it dry for at least an hour. This method works well with cotton rope but I haven‘t tried this method with polyester rope (supplied in the kit) before. Maybe someone can tell about his/her experience.

You may also check cdrusn89‘s Niagara build log (about Side 6), he documended his method very well with pictures.

Edited by captain_hook

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Thanks Cap. I think I'll order some smaller blocks ( or dig through the parts bin ) from Chuck. The walnut is a problem. I've crushed a few just trying to hold them.

Dwight

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the cannons done. Not real pretty but I've decided this Sloop has seen some action. These are Chucks guns and were easy to assemble but a real bear for my shaky hands to rig and install.

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been working and making myself crazy. I got the mast and thee bow sprint installed and they seem to be straight. Then I started on the standing rigging. I left the shrouds and ratlines till "last" partly out of abject fear and partly so I could work from the inside out.

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

Dwight

• 4 weeks later...

Got the shrouds and ratlines done. This is my first time for shrouds/ratlines and it was a monster task for about the first 60 %. Then it started getting easier and neater. 

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Dwight

• 2 weeks later...

Got the running rigging done as well. Can't really think of anything else to do so I guess it's done. Now to start " Fair America ". Thanks for all the likes.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Dwight

Well done! Congratulations!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Congratulations on the completion of your Armed Virginia Sloop.  You did an excellent job on building this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat