18th Century Longboat by tlevine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale - TriClub

Thanks, Joe.  The door frames are mahogany and the shelves are glass to allow the light to illuminate both sheves.  For builders who leave one side of the hull unplanked, the mirror allows you to enjoy both sides without having to move the model.  Because of the lights, I could not make them completely air tight.  So a  light dusting once every two years is necessary.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Holy Cow! Talk about pre-planning.....I'm impressed.

Hello Kurt. It's good to see you again.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Really nice boat and a great cabinet.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks, guys.  Just for comparison I took a picture of the longboat next to Atalanta.  They are both 1:48 scale.

post-262-0-92862400-1368279404_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

It is so nice to have things in the same scale next to each other. Good Luck on the HMS Atalanta project.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

It is a kick to see the two of them together, Rocker.  Thanks for the suggestion, Ben.  I'll think about it.

Toni

• 2 months later...

Hi Toni,
Wonderful work. I'm still going through your log at this time. Since I'm preparing to start on the Longboat when it arrives but while waiting thought I would build the jig. Would you please tell me what the over all length of your jig is?

Thanks, and again love your work.
Paddy

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks a lot Paddy.  Bob F uses the same building board.  In fact, he might have made mine!  These were distributed to all the participants in the Tri-Cub.  Anyway, the board is 3" x 9" and is made of 3/8" plywood.

Enjoy your build and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Toni

Paddy,

I'm sorry, but I can't take credit for the building boards.  They were constructed  (17 of them I think) by another Tri-Club member, Kurt V.  The building board was indispensable while gluing the bulkhead/frames to the false keel.  It's time well spent building one.

BobF

• 6 years later...

Actually, I don't remember what my logic was.  That was almost seven years ago.  But in general I work from the bottom up.  

Toni

• The title was changed to 18th Century Longboat by tlevine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale - TriClub