Castos

Redrawing of Ship Plans using Fusion 360

Posted (edited)

Good Day

After completing the lesson plans and working through additional books, I have now started to put this knowledge to use. I am using the body plans of Santisima Trinidad.

Firstly, I had to convert the plans to a svg format (with CorelDraw) and then uploaded it into F360 (created a project, Body plan and parts by stage folders.

2nd Sketch:  is the start of the outline, which I have redrawn and still busy with it.

1st Sketch:  is the start of redrawing the lines. The "Caja de Forma" took a better part of 3 hours to draw, as the lines where not accurate. I measured the length and counted how many boxes are there. this gave me the basis on which to draw and should the last box be slightly bigger I tool the difference and re-divided it and continued until I got them all on the same dimension.

I will continue redrawing and posting a log.

As I am a novice to using CAD and redrawing plans, I beg of you all, to assist and tell me where I am going wrong. It will be greatly appreciated as this will also serve as an inspiration to others to take the plunge and learn, with the advice and assistance from the experts.

ReDraw ST 2.jpg

ReDraw ST 1.jpg

Edited by Castos

Posted (edited)

Good Morning

I have hit a snag with redrawing the Keel. In the attached photo, the plans show a 45 degree line to the inside and then it continues vertically. Is this correct? The horizontal line above is not part of the construction.

I also found out that the ship has a list to Port of 1.6 degrees, which will be corrected once all the plans have been redrawn.

I do not have my books with me only Dean's Doctrine of Naval Architecture and Steel's Books.

ReDraw ST 2 Keel.jpg

Edited by Castos
left out some information

I have no knowledge of Spanish practice regarding the rabbet and the keel.  I say this to excuse myself from comment only because I would like to be helpful but my knowledge base is restricted to English ships.  I do observe, however, that on RN drawings the keel is more of a convention than an actuality.  The men in the yard would not use a drawing to cut in the rabbet.  So, to answer your question one would have to know the practice of the Spanish yards.  All of this is to say: I don't know.

Wayne

Castos,

The "rabbet" is a groove in the keel that the first plank (garboard strake) fits into. It looks to me that the 45 degree angles that you are referring to are the rabbet.

Before going too far you must be certain that the vertical and horizontal lines are absolutely perpendicular. Just rotating to eliminate the "list" will not do this. If these lines are not "square" the hull will be warped.

Are you planning to use the hull cross-sections to make a 3D model of the hull? Or do you plan to just cut out the bulkheads from your drawings?

I would caution you that no matter how carefully you draw the hull lines they almost certainly will be a bit out of true. Some will be slightly "fat" and others "skinny." The result will be a wavy surface on a planked hull model. In some cases you can correct this by sanding down the high spots, but you risk sanding all the way through the planks.

If you create a 3D CAD model of the hull using your section lines you can examine the rendered hull by rotating the view and changing the lighting angle. Imperfections will appear as a wavy surface.

An even better way is to create horizontal (waterline) contours on the hull - just the lines of intersection between a horizontal plane and the hull surface at different elevations. Then hide the hull and examine the intersect lines by looking at them length wise (bow to stern, etc.). If any of the sections are too wide or too narrow it will cause the waterlines to be wavy instead of being smooth curves from bow to stern.

Find the erroneous sections and correct the width. Create new waterlines and repeat the process until all are nice smooth curves. Then you will have a correct set of hull sections.

This can be a time consuming process, but the result will be a good set of hull section lines that will produce a smoothly curved hull surface without ripples or low spots.

Interesting project. I will follow you with interest. Perhaps Fusion 360 is a simpler way for checking my reconstruction.

Do you know, if it is possible to load a DWG file as startup point?

Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

DrPR: all my line drawings are perpendicular to the horizontal and vertical lines. Once I have completed the line drawings all will then  realign all the lines .

AP: as far as I know F360 used dwf and dwg formats. the only reason I used svg, was that I struggled to convert pdf/jpeg/cdr formats to be used in F360.

Regards

Andre

Posted (edited)

I'll be following this topic as I too intend to start making a set of plans in fusion soon. I was thinking of using the sculpt environment to model the hull, then slicing it into sections using a plane cut. This would produce a perfect curve and Allow me to place bulkheads wherever I wanted along the hull. 

I'll probably be starting off with a cross section or battlestation model to get into the swing of things first though. 

Cheers: Point. 

Edited by pointfiftytracer

Good Day

I came across a paper by "THE SAILING FRIGATES OF THE SPANISH NAVY  1600 – 1850 - IT’S TECHNICAL EVOLUTION By Enrique Garcia-Torralba Pérez" (Las Fragates de vela de la armada espanol 1600 - 1850)

The question about the keel that I asked is correct, based on the drawings in this article.

I love it when more people are using F360, which results in a better learning curve for us all)

At Present I am redrawing the frame lines, deleting and redrawing, deleting and redrawing etc until it resembles the correct shape. I and using the 3 point arc tool as it can be manipulated to resemble the correct curvature of the frames.

Cheers

Andre

One thing I forgot to mention about the 3 point arc. I select two points on the line I want to recreate and then slide (like a slider) the pointer along the line until it matches the curve of the drawing.

I have progress quite far with the redrawing and will put up some photos later.

The only problem I have with F360 so far is that you cannot change the Line Colour. Line Type (broken, dotted, etc) and Line Weight.

The tools are good  to use if you think outside the box which I will highlight in the photos I put up.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

What I have done so far and drawing of a slot in F360.

Redraw ST 3.jpg

Redraw ST 3 2 circle.jpg Drawing of circled

Redraw ST 3 slot 2.jpgfinding the centre points for the slot

Redraw ST 3 slot 3.jpgslot is drawn and the circles are removed

Edited by Castos

Good Day

Progressing quite a bit and nearing completion.

A problem I had was with the chainplates, as on the drawing it just shows lines and circles. I looked up the correct design for chainplates and will now update the plan I am redrawing.

Andre

Good Day

Not much progress as I am having problems with F360.

1.   Any action or task (drawing a line) takes from 4 minutes to forever to complete. This happens in both online and offline.

2.   When trimming a line, my whole drawing goes skew and I get lines and angles that I never did.

Waiting for an answer from helpdesk, but at this stage it is 75% that I will be going back to CorelDraw.

My laptop has more than the requirements as specified and the internet is good. I have done a system clean up, Hard drives have more than enough space and have enough memory.

Will keep you posted with the answer from Autodesk.

Andre