A novice at age 70.

turangi

Hello all, what a wonderful site. As a bit of introduction I just completed the Model Shipways New Bedford Whaleboat. I started building this while undergoing 6 months of chemotherapy that caused the loss of feeling in my hands. I thought it would be good therapy and it did seem to help. I worked on it when I felt able and found it relaxing and fun as I was essentially on home confinement for many months. Due to my neuropathy and inability to feel the small parts I made extensive use of hemostats, forceps and tweezers. I am included a few photos and any comments, suggestions or criticisms would be welcomed! John

11165272-F575-4FF6-871A-7BA7104FB2B3.jpeg

2814EBE2-CC8C-4671-9DB4-238E4F12388F.jpeg

EAEB8765-EF60-4D54-8520-F63E093C57A8.jpeg

16A7565D-31C2-43FD-B629-952D66BA6553.jpeg

DE325794-652A-42FD-AC08-52CE772229DD.jpeg

3D5B4332-BCB5-4CC3-BD5D-FBBC11F18AEC.jpeg

AB16E12A-5CF4-408F-96AE-E8C5E874E16A.jpeg

BDC00749-3FA0-46B4-A2DC-E2EA792E9B3B.jpeg

82BCEA89-ADD7-483C-BC20-FC2D527DC9E7.jpeg

44482C45-5DB7-418A-AFF7-04ED46E637E3.jpeg

496CB71B-B12C-434C-86E1-1C3D366813F5.jpegIMG_2128.thumb.JPG.f934dc904856044c7711540ff57a31da.JPG

Edited by turangi

Welcome to MSW.  Great first effort.  Therapy with good results.  Keep it up.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Beautiful job! I hope your chemo turned out as well as your model!

Just one suggestion: build or buy a nice display case for it. That will preserve what is truly a work of art for generations to come. Without a case, well, there's dust, curious grandkids, the cat... the list goes on and on. :D

Any ideas for your next build?

Hello John,

Welcome to MSW.  I find it hard to believe that's a first build.  It is just incredible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday John and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

For a first build she is impressive

I really am impressed by your attention to detail.

You have found a site with plenty of knowledge and expertise.

I wish you all the best with your health and your future endeavours.

Mark.

John. I can only echo what everyone else is saying. That is most impressive for a first build. Heck. That's impressive for a third, fourth or fifth build !! So what's next ... a full scratch build of Sovereign of the Seas ?? :D 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

A most impressive first build regardless of your limitations.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Great work.

Greetings and :sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 5 months later...

I just found your log. Absolutely nice build and welcome to MSW. 

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

Great work! Hope to watch more builds from you...

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic