Mosquito B Mk IV - FINISHED - Revell - My next non-ship project

More progress today  -  I took the tape off both fuselage  sections and surveyed  the seams,  they were not too bad  just needed some light sanding with 1000 wet and dry,  I then turned my attention to how the two sections join  -  they lock into each other but it was very tight so the sanding stick and several dry fits and with a kind of "click"  - they joined together,  I pushed a bit of  glue into the seam  then pushed them together.

I left it for a few hours then I added a pe  fuel  cap ontop  and while at it  I even put two masks  on the lower forward  windows.

Oh!  I also added a strengthening  strip with 2mm  paper underneath the fuselage.

OC.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

SO!   here's the plan  -  next I will fit  the nose glazing unit (after fitting the masks to it)   will probably dry fit it first to check for fit,   then I will check the main cabin canopy unit  - then mask that also  before  fitting,    this will leave me with a completed  fuselage  minus the rudder and stab - flaps.

The idea is  it will probably be more manageable  to hold  and  spray the first (all over coat)  with out the wings attached,  I will also  count the rudder and flaps as separate items  to paint them off the fuselage,   then after letting that to harden  - I will be able to mask up  for the first  layer of  grey camo  using the blue tak and paper/tape (i got to day).

Well thats the plan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just found an interesting article  in a discussion room  about the last air raid/raids on Germany  in WW2,   it has a lot of talk about my late farther  air base where he was stationed  and the squadron/s  he was  working for,    it was the attacks on Kiel  Town and Harbour   to stop the Germans from sending ships to Norway to continue the war there.

Here is the link  -

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/the-last-bombs.4811/

And below  a photo  from that sight  possibly with my dad in there somewhere during the bases celebration of the end of the war.

All  courtesy  of the  original posters.

OC.

_83484384_kielbombwearn.jpg

_83484389_vedayparty624.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good comparison of British WW2  Bombers.

Again pic off the net.

OC.

0083dc6072e5c8edfc7b3b6d45ad5c9d.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, good pictures and that chart. Nice.

Do you remember if your Dad supported the Amiens raid. The Mosis attacked a prison where French Resistance folks were held. They blew holes in the walls and a number of the French escaped. I could really appreciate the low level flying they did across a part of France that is relatively flat. Wonder what the returning Mosis looked like after that raid.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

OC, good pictures and that chart. Nice.

Do you remember if your Dad supported the Amiens raid. The Mosis attacked a prison where French Resistance folks were held. They blew holes in the walls and a number of the French escaped. I could really appreciate the low level flying they did across a part of France that is relatively flat. Wonder what the returning Mosis looked like after that raid.

I'm not sure ken,   depends what base was  operating it  and the year it happened.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

"Masking Time"    Talk about fiddly difficult job............the problem is  the masks are the same colour as the backing sheet  making it real hard to see the edges  let alone remove them, then lifting them is real  fiddly,   so  first thing first  was the  nose glazing unit, this  required a center oval piece  (not to difficult  as it was a good size and shape,   then there was a couple of  shaped  edges  - a bit more fiddly needing a few attempts to place them correctly.

After a bit  it was  done  so I worked out what paint was needed and  gave the frame work a few coats, this was put aside to dry  for a bit,    when dry  I glued it in place on the nose - but then discovered I should have dry fitted it  as the glazing unit is a mil or so  larger than the circumference of the nose area, to late to do anything about it now that its placed/masked and painted.

Then it was the turn of the  cockpit unit, after  cutting this from the sprew, I discovered  it has two additional  units that have to be glued to it  - put it this way   - the room is now blue from my language  and I nearly gave up, they are the most  awkward  things to do without mucking up the clear parts,   why o why  didn't  it come in one piece,   anyway  eventually  I kind of fitted them  (not as neat as I wanted)    so next trick was to start  masking   - I started with the top, nice square  piece  - then  a few  more smaller ones.

After an hour or so  it was masked  minus a  couple of places  - but as I decided to  paint it up first  by hand  with my smallest brush, then this  would be ok.

So this is where I stand at the moment  - the cockpit  unit will be glued down  but after covering the whole thing, ready  to lay the Tamiya Surface Primer  down.

OC.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 minutes ago, Javlin said:

One of the biggest PIA's when building planes but yours will do . ;) Kevin

Tell me about it  - that canopy  is a serious  poor point  in the kit  - should be all in one.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Tell me about it  - that canopy  is a serious  poor point  in the kit  - should be all in one.

OC.

Are the "bubble" portions on each side of the canopy the separate pieces you write about? Your canopy came out nice I think. I can see why those features were molded separately, as the only other way would have maybe been a slide mold. From what I've read, a slide mold is a very expensive item to tool. They were probably concentrating on keeping the cost of the kit down to a level that would make it available to many modeler's budget. If my Tamiya 1:32 Mossie wasn't buried in such a deep pile of models, I would drag it out to see how the canopy is molded in that kit.

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Are the "bubble" portions on each side of the canopy the separate pieces you write about? Your canopy came out nice I think. I can see why those features were molded separately, as the only other way would have maybe been a slide mold. From what I've read, a slide mold is a very expensive item to tool. They were probably concentrating on keeping the cost of the kit down to a level that would make it available to many modeler's budget. If my Tamiya 1:32 Mossie wasn't buried in such a deep pile of models, I would drag it out to see how the canopy is molded in that kit.

Yeah  in the kit  on the clear  parts  there are  two options  flat or bubble, these are four  separate parts, I went for the bubble  as I think  it was more  highly used on  the  B IV  model.

Just would have been better if the assemblies  were complete  wit two canopy options  for  bubble of flat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

really nice progress OC........did you use window maker to assemble the canopy?  I've done canopys before by hand and really stunk at it......most of the time I don't do them.  we'll see what happens with my next project.  did you have to add the bubbles on the sides?  those will be tough to mask.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

really nice progress OC........did you use window maker to assemble the canopy?  I've done canopys before by hand and really stunk at it......most of the time I don't do them.  we'll see what happens with my next project.  did you have to add the bubbles on the sides?  those will be tough to mask.

I just held it between my fingers  (very carefully)   as it was very fragile  - then I added a line of ca  to the main part  where the smaller  bubble section  was to go  then  as best as I could I attempted to  glue it in place,  I must have tried it about five times  each side   before it would stay in place, then I ran a fine line of ca  using a  fuse wire  tip  to  catch the other sides  of the small part, then I  did the same on the other side.

My heart was jumping out my chest as I was doing it  - so so so fiddly.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

These are the clear parts  showing the main canopy  and  the four  side units.

Pic of the net  not mine.

OC.

revell04555reviewbg_2.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

hope the CA doesn't 'frost' the glass.......it also has a habit of doing that {as I've found out}.  if you can find it in your neck o the woods,  you should try it.  it has plenty of uses.  most of the kits I've worked with have multiple canopys......the M.B.  has two........the B 25 I have,  has two options as well.  now I have a Heinkel He 111 that has the nose glass in two halves.  I use the window maker on it,  but it still looks like a dog's breakfast.....the whole kit does,  actually........poor fit and all the problems you could ask for {if you wanted to torment yourself}.   I have a good mind to.........seeing as I did the Wulfe Hound,  paint it up and put American insignias on it....like we'd capture that!!!!!!  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I was wondering  (as you do)   with the circumference difference  between the glazed nose cone and the front part of the fuselage, I wonder if a thin/narrow piece of paper wrapped around the fuselage would work as a "stepper"  it could simulate a riveting band.

Like this  inside the white line  - 

OC.

IMG_0156 2.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Coming along nicely.

Thank you kindly.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good day all,

Firstly  a Big thank you  for all the likes and comments,

Right,   another good day  -  I had a go  at  hiding the difference between the nose glazing unit and the  fuselage,  I cut  a  narrow strip of paper about 2mm  wide then using watery pva I  stuck it down following the nose glazing, then I joined it underneath and trimmed it.    I sealed it using a bit of top coat,  next  I  painted  the cockpit canopy frame  with a couple of coats of top coat,   then put it aside to dry.

I then packed inside the bomb bay  and entrance hatch  with tissue paper  - and  covered the  rear wheel  with tape.

When the main canopy  was dry  I glued it  in place.

So the fuselage is now ready  for its first spray of Tamiya surface primer  - just need to wait for a  dry day  as all  spraying  has to be done out doors.

OC.

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

nose cones and glass like that I try to cut around the edge,  lightly scraping afterwards.  sanding always leave the white ring where ya did it.  what you did is good,  but isn't that going to give a slight rise when painted?  you want to be careful around the cockpit......the tape looks like it's lifting {happens to me too....I have to be vigilant}.    I also have been known to use scotch tape...clear or the clouded stuff to hide mating lines.......it's a bit thinner than paper...fingers crossed it doesn't swell on you 🎨

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

nose cones and glass like that I try to cut around the edge,  lightly scraping afterwards.  sanding always leave the white ring where ya did it.  what you did is good,  but isn't that going to give a slight rise when painted?  you want to be careful around the cockpit......the tape looks like it's lifting {happens to me too....I have to be vigilant}.    I also have been known to use scotch tape...clear or the clouded stuff to hide mating lines.......it's a bit thinner than paper...fingers crossed it doesn't swell on you 🎨

There is  a few layers  of tape on there  denis  so fingers crossed  (I will  press it down again though before spraying)   hopefully  the paper ring around the nose  will  not be too noticable  when its painted  as it is quite thin  I think it just stands out  with the lighting  kind of causing a shadow  (oh  and its white).  Any one asks  though  - its  battle damage  repair  to strengthen the nose.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The idea OC is to tape off all glass leaving the framing exposed and then glue all glass into play and spray.The temptation is high to remove the tape but leave it till all decals and clears have been applied this gives the paint a uniform coat.You will be okay as it sits but did you remove the tape from the canopy and why it is taped as such now? :unsure: Kevin

55 minutes ago, Javlin said:

The idea OC is to tape off all glass leaving the framing exposed and then glue all glass into play and spray.The temptation is high to remove the tape but leave it till all decals and clears have been applied this gives the paint a uniform coat.You will be okay as it sits but did you remove the tape from the canopy and why it is taped as such now? :unsure: Kevin

Some of the masks  were in separate  sections  and too fiddly  to put on the remaining glazed windows  in the  canopy - so  I left them off  and  painted the frame  by hand with a fine brush,   the frame  of the canopy has been painted  and  had a couple of  top coats  (Just on the frame  not the glass).

So the  canopy  is a completed assembly  I glued it  on as its easier  than covering the cockpit area with  tissue paper  in case the delicate parts  in the cockpit got damaged.

I then added additional  tape to cover  the canopy  (any small bits of  frame where it meats the fuselage  are ok   as the  spray colour is the same as what I hand painted.

Well   thats the idea  anyway.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So  just to explain myself a bit better  - the canopy  is  done  its just covered in extra tape  to stop any spray  from going on it,    it will stay covered like that until all the spraying  (including the top coat)  has been done.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

yea....it would be hard to cover those bubbles .......I'm sure the yellow masking doesn't have anything for it.  when ever I mask.....I always go over it before I spray.   I've been goofed too many time :(    Damn you Murphy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

8 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

yea....it would be hard to cover those bubbles .......I'm sure the yellow masking doesn't have anything for it.  when ever I mask.....I always go over it before I spray.   I've been goofed too many time :(    Damn you Murphy!

Yep  I will  re check  before I pray/spray  or both,    I might  put some more tape over it  - knowing me  it will have so many layers on it  it will end up several inches thick.😲

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

42 minutes ago, Moab said:

Looking great...Moab

Thank you kindly for looking in.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking good and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the painting.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

Looking good and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the painting.  

Thanks Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.