Old Collingwood

Mosquito B Mk IV - Revell - My next non-ship project

I have been given this  (waiting for it to arrive)  as thanks for some online help with an associate,     just a little bit of background  - in the period of 1942 - 1945  my late farther worked on many aircraft types  - Spitfire/Hurricane/Seafire/Mosquito/Wellington/Lancaster and Short Stirling  as an airframes fitter.

So you can imagine my utter delight when I was told about  being given this  that I will be able to build in memory of my farther.

OC.

Dt_YH1rWkAALRhv.jpg large.jpg

Mosquito-bombed-up.jpg

Decals.jpg

Wing parts.jpg

Fuselage.jpg

Main.jpg

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

keen to note that the camo on all of them is the same....very interesting.  quite a project you have there.....it will be a pleasure to watch :) 

Thank you kindly denis,   I have to finish the pearl first  but after that   -  I will make a start,   I will deffo  spray paint it though with rattle cans  as I dont think hand painting with a furry stick will do the fine detail justice  - there are some very fine panel lines and rivet detail on the kit,  I have read up on a few reviews  and its a very fine kit.

OC.

Without even having the kit infront of me I know of one fairly major mod  I will need to do  - higher the two main  undercarriage wheel  frame heights  as the kit ones are a little bit short  and the whole kit sits a little to  "nose down"   - how I dont know yet  but Im sure I will think of something.

OC.

6 hours ago, nikbud said:

One of my all time favourite aircraft so will follow along.

Are you going to attempt the "classic" aircraft wheel bulge? its something I could never achieve.

Good luck.

Im not sure  about the bulge  but I will certainly flatten off the weight spot under both wheels and the tail unit.

OC.

3 minutes ago, cog said:

Nice plane. Built a 1/72 when I was a boy. You should read up on some of the techniques to bring out details like grooves and such, or will you be weathering her ...

Yep I will try abit of  shading in the groves and highlighting  like i have done on the pearl (only lighter)

OC.

Yes, you have grooves on this, rather than stand out lines. Way easier to do up properly. I remember having to sand markings and rivet lines off a plane, way back when. The rivets must have been 3-4 scale inches across. An old Hawk brand kit from the 50s I believe.

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Yes, you have grooves on this, rather than stand out lines. Way easier to do up properly. I remember having to sand markings and rivet lines off a plane, way back when. The rivets must have been 3-4 scale inches across. An old Hawk brand kit from the 50s I believe.

Will give it a go  - thinking along  I will need to get some MicroSet  and MicroSol,   for the transfers.

OC.

Right then folks it arrived yesterday  - the box slightly battered but all parts seem fine - all sealed in bags,  also with the kit I was supprised to find some extras  - a mask set for the windows and a few areas that need masking, and also an Edward PE set, oh  and an extra set of wheels,   (I know the wheels in the kit are over scale but dont know if these are extras or replacements).

Here are pics showing the  extra items -

OC.

s-l1600 2.jpg

438787.jpg

Looking forward to this build as well OC.

This is definitely my favorite British aircraft of all time. And possibly one of my favorite aircraft of all. I'm also a 633 fan from years ago.

You may reconsider flattening the tail wheel. Not only were they fairly light in that area but I believe the tail wheel was a special hard wheel intended for use on the grass runways in considerable use at the time.

I still need to get the two miles across town and get a look at the restored Mossy they have there. I think it is still one of two flyable in the world.   

24 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Looking forward to this build as well OC.

This is definitely my favorite British aircraft of all time. And possibly one of my favorite aircraft of all. I'm also a 633 fan from years ago.

You may reconsider flattening the tail wheel. Not only were they fairly light in that area but I believe the tail wheel was a special hard wheel intended for use on the grass runways in considerable use at the time.

I still need to get the two miles across town and get a look at the restored Mossy they have there. I think it is still one of two flyable in the world.   

Thanks lou,    yep I will have a bit of fiddling to do to the get the correct "sit" of the model, as I understand the kit undercarriage units are slightly too short,  yet the kit wheels are two large (tall and thin)  perhaps the extras in a bag are better?    we used to have a single flying varient over here  RR-299  it was gorgeous  till it crashed, I saw it regularly  at different shows over the years, it was like listening to two spitfires  flying together.

OC.

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

it was like listening to two spitfires  flying together.

I know when you mean. Years ago I lived close to the Reno Air Races and you ALWAYS knew when a Spitfire flew over. The RR Merlin engine is VERY distinctive!

I think the aircraft you are talking about crashed because the pilot did a Mosquito No No. He pulled negative G's starving the engines for fuel at low altitude and with no power was not able to recover. From what I understand it is one of the few faults with the Mosquito.

I have heard or seen the Mossy here three times since it arrived a couple of years ago when it has flown over my house. It is still distinctive but sometimes I wish they would really open it up like they did the Spits in Reno. The Merlin engine almost sounds like a jet at 350+ MPH!

37 minutes ago, Wallace said:

That's something I would like to see!

Unfortunately unless I crawl there I will not be going to see her anytime soon. 

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/paul-allens-mosquito-flies.html

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Britian/de-Havilland-D-H-98-Mosquito-T-Mk-III.aspx

Edited by lmagna

Sweet Mossie! How did I miss this thread until now?

Looking forward to this tribute to your dad. 

Check out this video by Kermit Weeks. He is a local aviation enthusiast and owns a fleet of vintage WW2 and WW1 aircraft, including this Mossie. He flies them almost every day, too.