Jump to content

Mosquito B Mk IV - Revell - My next non-ship project


Recommended Posts

Thank you All  for the  likes and interest in my build.

 

Today  I decided to have a go at the  Flat clear coat  curtosy of Tamiya TS80  Rattle can,   I was always going to be  "on the dge of my seat"  doing this  as I was worried about it bubbling up the decals  due to it being a hot laquer,   I decided to try it on the wings first  as the decs have been settled the longest,  first I warmed the can gently  with  tap water in a bowl (this helps the paint to mix)    then out doors  on the patio  (a bit windy to be fair  but  cant change the weather)   I tried to do a misting coat  - not easy with rattle cans,  I gave it about Ten minutes then over sparyed a few more times.

 

Seems to have worked ok  - I could see the paintwork smoothing out to a nice flat coat  and no interference  to the decals,  I then repeated  it on the other wing,   I then did the same to the fuselage.

 

Trouble is  trying to not get the fumes from that damn Laquer paint/top coat is impossible in our house.

 

Why o why cant they do Acrylic  in  Rattle canc?

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you kindly Edward,    the only thing  that is scaring the living daylights out of me is  spraying the Tamiya TS80  Clear top coat  rattle can, I have no choice  it has to be dulled  and the rattle can is the only  smooth way I can do it,  so yep  it is worrying me.

 

OC.

Looks amazing OC!  Nice job!

 

Yesterday I used Mr Color Matt from a spray can on one of my current builds.  Couple of light passes and it dulled the plane nicely. I’m sure Tamiya will do the same and be just as easy 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks amazing OC!  Nice job!

 

Yesterday I used Mr Color Matt from a spray can on one of my current builds.  Couple of light passes and it dulled the plane nicely. I’m sure Tamiya will do the same and be just as easy 👍

Was that a Rattle can mike?    my paintwork/flat coat  has to be either  brush painted or rattle can,   but the most important requirment is for it to be Zero Fumes.

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry just realized I replied to an earlier post and you already applied the clear.  Yeah, I used a rattle can.  Was super easy, but the smell wasn’t fun.  Opened a window in my basement and vented using my spray booth but things still stunk for a while.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a funny tail  (didn't know if I should post it earlier)  - when I was top coating my fuselage  I was holding the mossie  by one of the rear stabs  and wearing a throw away glove  - all normal at that point, anyway  I then went and grabed the other stab (that had just been  sprayed😮)   and got a loverly Black finger print on the camo.

 

I was outside yelling  ####$$$$$$$&&&&&&   couldn't believe it   (dont put down technical ability  when stupidity spoils it)

 

So now I have to decide how I can rectify it without causing too much damage to the camo  - possibly a very very light  wet and dry  to try to remove the fingerprint.

 

"Fun and games  - fun and games"

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor hitch in the giddyup brother, well within your skills as I have seen right on this log.... Don't sweat the small stuff and that is small stuff..... Just make sure it is completely degassed before you try and fix it...

 

Beautiful work a mossy to be proud of.... (I'm sure your father would love it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Minor hitch in the giddyup brother, well within your skills as I have seen right on this log.... Don't sweat the small stuff and that is small stuff..... Just make sure it is completely degassed before you try and fix it...

 

Beautiful work a mossy to be proud of.... (I'm sure your father would love it)

Thank you kindly EG,   yep its just a "Bag it job"  to mask all the fuselage minus the area to be re sprayed, then after a few days  another blast over with the top coat.

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

That's looking amazing (I toyed with the idea of getting the airfix 1/24 scale but since I've never built a decent plane decided not to) this on the other hand looks great.

Thank you so kind,    yep its a nice kit  - has its issues that need fiddling  like the fuselage halves  joining, and the engine units  fitting them over the wing is a pain,  they need filing/sanding  and then a bit of filler.

 

But over all  it is a nice kit.

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,    I spent a bit of time on mossie to day,  the rear stab was nice and dry  so I gave it a few watery coats of Acrylic  grey  by brush - all good, I then took off the masking  and noticed the main decal on the one side had  crackled,   the trouble is  there is a  coat of  laquer  flat coat  that was sprayed over the top,   would micro sol  work on  it  to smooth it out  even though there is a coat of laquer over the top of it.

 

Looks quite bad  and spoils what has turned out to be a  good finish.

 

OC.

IMG_0394.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hi all,    I spent a bit of time on mossie to day,  the rear stab was nice and dry  so I gave it a few watery coats of Acrylic  grey  by brush - all good, I then took off the masking  and noticed the main decal on the one side had  crackled,   the trouble is  there is a  coat of  laquer  flat coat  that was sprayed over the top,   would micro sol  work on  it  to smooth it out  even though there is a coat of laquer over the top of it.

 

Looks quite bad  and spoils what has turned out to be a  good finish.

 

OC.

IMG_0394.JPG

I feel your frustration. I don't think microsol is going to work if you have lacquer on it as it needs to penetrate the decal to soften it. I am not an experienced aviation modeller and I don't know what may have caused that issue, but I do hope you find a solution as it's looking great. Best of luck with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewbyMark said:

I feel your frustration. I don't think microsol is going to work if you have lacquer on it as it needs to penetrate the decal to soften it. I am not an experienced aviation modeller and I don't know what may have caused that issue, but I do hope you find a solution as it's looking great. Best of luck with it.

Thank you for having a look  - much appreciated.

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CDW said:

You are having a string of bad luck on this one OC. I don't know any easy way to fix that in place. 

Tell me about it  - its like  its a jinxed plane,   the funny thing is  all the other decals are just fine  - nice and flat  and blended down with the flat laquer.

 

Its not an easy operation by any standards  even holding the  thing while spraying  is fiddly  then the blast from the rattle can, trying to control that is impossible, I have to do it freehand  as I have no way of spraying into a booth  or rotate the model on a turntable.

 

Who ever said modeling was easy  (well the painting side anyway)

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Brother, did this happen to just this one side?

 

Yep,   the other side is fine,   I  have just this moment  gone down stairs (as its night here now)  and put a coat of micro sol  over the affected  decal/s  I will check them in a couple of hours to see if  (by miracle)  the micro sol has  worked - not holding my breath though.

 

The problem is  that top coat of Tamiya Laquer  is key  as it will either stop me working on the decal, or  if I decided to try to remove the decal using tape to pull it off  - I think the laquer will stop it  or at worst pull a larger area of paint and laquer with it.

 

OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...