Mosquito B Mk IV - FINISHED - Revell - My next non-ship project

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Yep,   the other side is fine,   I  have just this moment  gone down stairs (as its night here now)  and put a coat of micro sol  over the affected  decal/s  I will check them in a couple of hours to see if  (by miracle)  the micro sol has  worked - not holding my breath though.

The problem is  that top coat of Tamiya Laquer  is key  as it will either stop me working on the decal, or  if I decided to try to remove the decal using tape to pull it off  - I think the laquer will stop it  or at worst pull a larger area of paint and laquer with it.

OC.

I agree the top coat is key, it was fine until that was laid... TBH, I have NEVER ever seen anything like that, all the other stuff wrinkles, popcorn ceiling effect, bubbles, orange peel I have all seen and fixed, this one has me stumped... that looks like hippopotamus/elephant skin......

Well let me know how the second application of Decal set/sol works.... I have a suspicion that it will not work through the overcoat......

This is one bird that doesn't want to be finished or likes the attention, it seems like it's taking on a personality..... We have all had them, your not alone...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

17 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Can’t hit the Like button on that one, OC.  Why is that some projects continually fight us?  Maybe turn it into an airplane half model?  Seriously, I hope that you find a solution that allows you to consider this model finished.

Roger

Thank you Roger   - yep  frustrating.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I agree the top coat is key, it was fine until that was laid... TBH, I have NEVER ever seen anything like that, all the other stuff wrinkles, popcorn ceiling effect, bubbles, orange peel I have all seen and fixed, this one has me stumped... that looks like hippopotamus/elephant skin......

Well let me know how the second application of Decal set/sol works.... I have a suspicion that it will not work through the overcoat......

This is one bird that doesn't want to be finished or likes the attention, it seems like it's taking on a personality..... We have all had them, your not alone...

My suspicion  is that I applied the top coat a bit too heavy on that side  or perhaps it hadn't shrunk down as well due to the ridge it had to sit over, especially  the end of the ridge  causing an akward lump in the middle, possibly a bit of trapped air - that mde it an esy target for the top coat to loosen  and craze the way it did.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I don't think it was trapped air brother, that's what micro sol and a pin is for, and you would see it as soon as the decal is dry cause it wouldn't lay down, more like trapped water IMHO......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

18 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I don't think it was trapped air brother, that's what micro sol and a pin is for, and you would see it as soon as the decal is dry cause it wouldn't lay down, more like trapped water IMHO......

Just been down  put another coat of micro sol  over the decals, will try to put a few layers  on leaving an hour or so between layers  - just to see if it does anything.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

My suspicion  is that I applied the top coat a bit too heavy on that side 

OC.

This

Some decals don't like lacquer over top. But since it didn't give the other decals a problem, I suspect it's a matter of too heavy a coat. This is one of the limitations/difficulties of rattle can paint, a lack of flow control. Most of the time, decals will behave well to a light coat of clear lacquer, but a heavy coat will cause issues. It likely puddled here, which caused it. 

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

This

Some decals don't like lacquer over top. But since it didn't give the other decals a problem, I suspect it's a matter of too heavy a coat. This is one of the limitations/difficulties of rattle can paint, a lack of flow control. Most of the time, decals will behave well to a light coat of clear lacquer, but a heavy coat will cause issues. It likely puddled here, which caused it. 

I will  try my best  to see what the repair or part repair options are - wll see what micro sol does, then  (as I assume a barrier is on the model now)  I will try another flat coat over the top  to see if that might help hide the  wrinkles  (failing that its a  Good anti - wrinkle cream)😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Do like many model ship makers do.  If the other side is good, then the bad decal side is the "wall side".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Do like many model ship makers do.  If the other side is good, then the bad decal side is the "wall side".  

Indeed  Mark, thats what I will have to do  as  despite several  attempts with Micro sol, the orange peel  aint going know where, the top coat has sealed them in.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

This

I would agree, the decal floated in the lacquer.... there was a suggested way to kinda fix it on an online belog, but I've never had to do such... Hide it by gradually building up the clearcoat until most of it disappears.....

Never tried it but at this point the only resolution is to hide it, or remove it and do it over..... I know cost becomes a factor... And since it is already under the clear lacquer....

Quote:

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I would agree, the decal floated in the lacquer.... there was a suggested way to kinda fix it on an online belog, but I've never had to do such... Hide it by gradually building up the clearcoat until most of it disappears.....

Never tried it but at this point the only resolution is to hide it, or remove it and do it over..... I know cost becomes a factor... And since it is already under the clear lacquer....

So,   apply a couple more coats of flat  over the top?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

57 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

So,   apply a couple more coats of flat  over the top?

OC.

I was reading about this on another forum... it was a way someone dealt with a similar issue.. (his was excessive bubbling after a gloss coat) successive light wet coats to raise and smooth out the surface.... it's the only thing I've found after a lot of searching the net.... other than ripping it off again and redoing it...... it actually didn't come out too bad...

Quote:

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I was reading about this on another forum... it was a way someone dealt with a similar issue.. (his was excessive bubbling after a gloss coat) successive light wet coats to raise and smooth out the surface.... it's the only thing I've found after a lot of searching the net.... other than ripping it off again and redoing it...... it actually didn't come out too bad...

Thanks mate,  Very much appreciate and am thankful  to you for  searching stuff  for my build, its help like this that makes this site so Special.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

My suspicion  is that I applied the top coat a bit too heavy on that side  or perhaps it hadn't shrunk down as well due to the ridge it had to sit over, especially  the end of the ridge  causing an akward lump in the middle, possibly a bit of trapped air - that mde it an esy target for the top coat to loosen  and craze the way it did.

OC.

did you use decal fixative, or only the softner?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, cog said:

did you use decal fixative, or only the softner?

I used both mate  - both micro set  then micro sol.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just a small update  fellow followers  following freely  forever figuring  forensic  feactures,     so  I played with the damaged decals, I decided to weather them to give them a worn look,  I did this by gently sanding with very fine watered  wet and dry, I did this both sides to keep a uniform look.

Pics later after I have done a few light top coats.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Just a small update  fellow followers  following freely  forever figuring  forensic  feactures,     so  I played with the damaged decals, I decided to weather them to give them a worn look,  I did this by gently sanding with very fine watered  wet and dry, I did this both sides to keep a uniform look.

OC.

good choice OC

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

34 minutes ago, cog said:

good choice OC

Thanks mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Here are a couple of  pre  top coat pics  to show the affect after I have  wet and dried  over the decals  gentley  on both sides.

OC.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

I think that was your best option my friend... The world hands you lemons, make lemonade.... I think that bird wants more than a pretty paint job, it wants to depict itself as the workhorse it actually was.... You have a special bird my friend....

Quote:

Very nice recovery, OC! A flat coat and some weathering and no-ones the wiser.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I think that was your best option my friend... The world hands you lemons, make lemonade.... I think that bird wants more than a pretty paint job, it wants to depict itself as the workhorse it actually was.... You have a special bird my friend....

Thank you for those kind words.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Canute said:

Very nice recovery, OC! A flat coat and some weathering and no-ones the wiser.

Thank you kindly Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I like what you’ve done, such strong perseverance. I enjoy watching everyone work through these issues because I don’t have anywhere near the experience to think of these solutions. A great learning experience for me!

1 minute ago, VTHokiEE said:

I like what you’ve done, such strong perseverance. I enjoy watching everyone work through these issues because I don’t have anywhere near the experience to think of these solutions. A great learning experience for me!

Just me digging my teeth in  and refusing to let it beat me,   but thank you  kindly  for saying that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So after doing some internet bashing  on the subject  (not fly flishing🙃)    later I will do a bit of shading using my pencil  along some of the detail lines, then I will  go over picking up the high spots with either a dull alum or white  dry brush, as around the region where the dameged decals, there is a  fuselage locker  and the strenthening rib, the same needs to be done to the other stab where  had to give it a re - paint.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sounds like a good plan, OC.  The recovery so far is looking great.  Nothing like a few worn spots and some scars on a war bird.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Sounds like a good plan, OC.  The recovery so far is looking great.  Nothing like a few worn spots and some scars on a war bird.

Thanks mate,  just my logic   - cover up the blemishes with blemishes   - just intentional ones.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.