Old Collingwood

Mosquito B Mk IV - Revell - My next non-ship project

1 minute ago, CDW said:

I thing the Spitfire Mk IX was their best looking Spitfire of all. Should be a real nice kit.

I was told  by my farther  they struggled to fit the beafed up engine in the same frame  - they could have done with extending the frontal area.

oc.

So!   - It begins,     I couldn't help it  "I had to",

I got the box out  - checked the instructions and found  the first build section (Bomb bay),   so I cut away the first sections needed  then put them in a tub and with the aid of washing up liquid/hot water and a tooth brush, I gave the parts a clean to remove the release agent.

Then when dry  I assembled the main bomb bay floor containing the fuel tanks, and the two bulkheads, this was set aside to dry.

Here are the first two pics  showing the stage so far  and the instructions stage.

OC.

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

Done a bit more  -  I decided to fit some pipework -  for this I used electrical fuse wire,   I  put a small  smear of ca down  then  layed  some  wire, with a hairdryer to set  It set in place - I then did the same to a run underneath.

I then painted both fuel tanks the brick Red colour  - for this I used Red Ocre,   after drying this I added a few coats of  dark wash  - very watery  then dried  in between each layer, the main green shade still needs to be applied.

OC.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

15 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Off to a great start, OC.  Looking good.

Thanks mark,   its interior green paint time next  followed up with some more washes and a bit of  hightlighting   then some more additions to add, going to build  things in stages like that  - painting and weathering them  as I go  instead of assembling the whole  sub sections and trying to paint/weather.

OC.

Hi all,   some good work  today  -  I  put  some  interior green down  then ran some washes  over it,   after I worked on the three sub frames - painted and washed, then when dry (quickly with a hairdryer)  I then did some highlighting   - lots more to do yet as it still needs the bomb rails and brackets.

OC.

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

41 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I know of a certain Huey that is in need of a qualified painter such as yourself! Are you certain that you won't stop on over to my place and do some yeoman work?

Great job, and yes I'm jealous!:(:D

Thank you lou,  but save your compliments till I have done the  rattle can painting  - that will be a success  or  fail  operation.

OC.

OC

What color are you going to use for the cockpit area. Do all British WW2 aircraft share the same cockpit color?

For US aircraft, it's almost universally zinc chromate green. You can get that color by mixing Tamiya's green and lemon yellow, but they (Tamiya) don't sell a premixed color for zinc chromate. For my current project, I've been using Vallejo Model Air zinc chromate, but recently found out I had bought the only bottle of it in town. If I had known it was that scarce, I would have mixed my own with Tamiya paints. I had to order some Vallejo from another state and am waiting for it to arrive.