San Francisco II by Jim Bassett - Artesansia Latina - 1/90

• 1 month later...

Da planking boss, da planking boss, Da planking is done boss!  I'm pleased with the over all result but not with the my method of planking.  Better next time?  I will be anxious to stain and clear coat it to see what it looks like finished but first I need to attach the rubbing strakes and other strips that attach to the hull.  I am going to paint all the strips black for contrast.  Planking is hard and tedious but if you achieve a good result from all that hard work there is a great feeling of accomplishment-after the will to live comes back.

post-1957-0-98525600-1376751000_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-04612500-1376751004_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-06232800-1376751007_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-46448300-1376751032_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-74365100-1376751035_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-98905700-1376751038_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-11901500-1376751042_thumb.jpg

Congrats Jim, the planking looks very nice and clean...I hope you are pleased with her!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks Robbyn, I am pleased with it.  Congratulations on your beautiful wedding and best wishes for your future. 

"We were given two hands to hold, two legs to walk, two eyes to see, two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else for us to find."

Lookin good !

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

I'd say you should be very pleased with the results - an excellent job on the planking - especially considering the material you were dealing with! Great work

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I've been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.  I could live 3 months + no way to know-depends on whether I want to receive treatment like chemo to prolong things,  I will know more Monday.  I don't want to prolong this if it is just going to be miserable for me and my family and it probably will.  I am thinking about ending it quickly but don't know if I have the courage to take that step and then, is it better to do that or have my family watch me die?  I watched a close friend die of this so I know what is coming.  I am discussing this here so I can say things that I can't to my family.  The odds of beating a terminal diagnoses are pretty much non-existent, a few have done it though.  Being relative strangers the impact on anyone here should be minimal and maybe I can get some feed back.  I hope it doesn't offend or upset anyone. 

Jim,

I was a deputy corner for 9 years, and saw more than I want to. I've seen this happen many times. Taking your life will hurt your family and leave them in more pain than you intend. I've also seen people live decades past when a doctor has says his time is up. The constant factor with the survivors was a want and will to survive. Talk to someone now not on this forum

U will be in my thoughts and prayers

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Jim, I sam not sure how to respond. I am very sorry for the diagnosis...but I agree with Sport...taking your own life only robs your family of their time with you...time they will need to come to terms with the eventual loss...you thinking you are sparing your family, is in fact even worse, because it will leave them dealing with the anger of having you taken from them before it was time.

May you come to terms...may the treatment give you years! I will be thinking of you.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hello Jim:

I'm so sorry to hear about this diagnosis. I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through, but I do know that it's best to reach out to family in such moments and discuss your feelings openly with them. Do not think of it as burdening them, but as a way of drawing closer at the most needful time. My thoughts are with you.

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

So sorry to hear, Jim. My mother died of this in 1999. Hospice and doctors were able to keep her relatively pain-free, and she passed peacefully at my sister's home in Orlando. She was diagnosed pretty late in the disease, so only had a couple of months, but I hear the medical community has made strides in fighting this since then, so I hope you are one of the lucky ones. Take care, and don't 'give up the ship' too early.

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

Looks like I have a.few months or slightly more.  I'm not going to seek treatment other than meds to help with the physical trauma.  So ironic that my birthday is Wednesday.  I've missed having a motorcycle (been about 15 years) and I think I will get one.  Fall is beautiful in the north Georgia mountains.  I have a miniature poodle and I would like to rig something for him to ride in if it can be done safely.  I don't want to spend to much of my money because I want it to go mostly to my nephew who just bought a house and is going to be strapped.  I'm going to keep modeling to keep my  mind off things and I hope I can finish SFII.  I don't know why I like modeling so much but I always have.  I wonder if I could have a model shop in the hereafter :)  I need to post some pics soon.  Any bucket list ideas?  I'd like to do something that isn't just for me.  Thanks everybody for your kind words.

Jim, I saw your post yesterday and I have been thinking about you - hope I don't offend you but I have been praying that you will find peace and be comforted in this time of trial....  that your doctors ease your suffering and that you will have more days of joy than not. Also that you have loved and have been loved, and that you will still be able to celebrate life with those that are nearest to your heart and for all of you to have strength and courage as you persevere through this formidiable time.

Lou

Thanks Lou. 

More pics-nothing you haven't seen before.  I put the rubbing strakes on one side now so I stained and clear coated (more coats later) to see how it looks.  They are on slightly differently than instructions call for.  Any opinions on the "nail heads" showing?

post-1957-0-16901800-1377596988_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-66760000-1377596997_thumb.jpg

post-1957-0-65738300-1377597009_thumb.jpg

Nice work Jim, I've always loved the darkened rubbing strakes on the SF, they really seem to make the model really so much more and the nailhead effect is the cherry on top. The finish turned out beautiful also, that mahogany, for all its work, is really worth the time and effort.

Addressing your other comment:

as I caught up on your post yesterday, the joy of seeing the beautiful planking became Great Sorrow as I heard you bravely open up in a place with a very touchy and difficult subject. In 2007 I was bitten by a highly infected tick and contracted what the medical profession likes to call Lyme. I watched as the career and life I'd worked my whole life to achieve slowly melt away like warm butter on a hot car hood.

No amount of trying saved me from a disablity that has lead to a horror show over the last 5 years. I mention all this as you appear to be asking when saying goodbye cruel world is appropriate. It is a very Brave question, I know because It is a part of the neural aspect of my condition. Suicide is something I hid from and didn't talk to anyone about, due to the stigma associated with it. I can never know or understand the horror of your reality, but my last 5 years has changed the way I see others greatly. Its ok to be TERRIFIED. Its Ok to be angry. I've ok to scream WHY.

I have since had long discussions with my wife about my fear of all the myriad of emotions that cause terminal conditions to stress us to the point of breaking and just saying "I can't". I've fought the demons so many time and being alone so much of the time makes things seem even more uncontrollable.

I know where you are and I can tell you Its OK to consider such things, I have so many times, but in the end I'm glad I never have and am now at a point of semi-acceptance. Lyme is also terminal, it just takes years to slowly eat away the core. I can't imagine the fear of such a short diagnoises. I weep as I type this, as I can feel your pain and mental anguish.

I've said many times that ship building has saved my life, at the least my sanity. Continue your SF as your able and try to live life while there's life left. I know thats clique, but I've found it to be true. I agree with you on not destroying your last moments with chemo and radiation. I think often that cancer is made so much worse at the end due to unhelpful attempts to do anything in hope of a cure from the shadow of death. I've so many times wished Lyme was a faster progressing disease as the waiting is numbing and terrifying and every other negative emotion possible.

Ultimately it's your life and you are the pilot on this journey. For everything that my condition has put me through, its also opened new ways of percieving the world. Empathy was never a strong suit for me and at times I still struggle with the frustration of it all, but in a sad kind of way it has helped me become better. Just know others are experiencing similar roads and I offer you my sympathy but more importantly my support. Please feel free to PM when you need to talk, as I so well understand the pressure of gazing into the unknown abyss and not wanting to bring further pain to those I love.

Know that you will be constantly in my thoughts and I'm available if you need just an ear. So many time just to be able to vent helps quench the fire of mental agony brought on by the mind. More then Sympathy, I wish to offer strength and support in this time.

Love the rubbing strands and the nails give it some pop. I wish I had done this with my build really looks sharp

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

Hi Jim:

I'm happy you're continuing your SF - it is shaping up to be a beautiful model. As for the nail heads - right now they might really stand out and you might be tempted to "hide" them. But as the build proceeds they will probably become less obvious and more "ambient". I'd leave them as is - they look great and will add something to the build for sure. 

hamilton

Thanks so much to all for the kind, encouraging words and insight from your personal experiences on my situation.   I have two more tests, a PETscan and a GI to go and then they should have a feel for how long I have and how things might play out.  In a way I feel like I'm no longer part of this world or at least the world I used to know, it is truly bizarre knowing ahead of time that you are going to die and really hard when your not sure when.  I still can't wrap my head around it and it just seems so surreal/unreal.  All those little things that seemed so important everyday-not at all.  I work on the ship constantly now to bury my thoughts.  The black strakes seem to make it look longer and more substantial and I will leave the nail heads as is.

Jim, I am hoping you get some good news from the test results. I can only imagine what you are going through, and I am not a professional, but I would guess that you are of course dealing with the shock of the diagnosis. Throw yourself into what ever helps you cope...then when your mind is ready you will be able to deal with things better.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Today is the roughest day I've had so far.  I'm getting very sharp pains in my stomach as well as nausea and extreme bloating, I look like I'm in the early stages of pregnancy.  Any exertion, even walking puts me completely out of breath.  I have some medication coming this afternoon and I hope it will help, Some from the pharmacy and some from nature ^_^.  I'm having trouble with my eyes blurring and my hands shaking-not good for modeling.

I'm working on the gallery right now and the starboard rubbing strakes.  The gallery is different than any I have seen and I will post some pictures.  The first wooden model I made was the Spirit of Mississippi by Ocre.  I am very pleased with how it came out and I am ordering a case for it and putting it in my will as a family er loom.

Still want to get that motorcycle but fear I may not feel good enough even with meds to handle it.  I would like at least one ride when the leaves turn. 

Again thanks for every bodies support and kind words.  By doing this I am able to spare my family at least a little.

Jim I hope the meds help,

The natural meds are typically best (less side effects), one that many don't know about is Passion Flower extract, its like natures valium and really helps muscle spasms and relaxing, helps sleep also. You can buy it but I make my own tincture. Also Milk Thistle helps the liver detox, I'd consider this a must, the standardized is best. Puritans Pride is a great source for these, They usually have great deals also.

http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/milk-thistle-standardized-250-mg-004548?scid=6829

and

http://search.puritan.com/search?view=grid&w=passion+flower&x=0&y=0

Whether you get a cycle or not, find someone from a local Harley or bike club to take you out, maybe someone would have a side car. At this point I say do what you want to enjoy life and the things you love, We have a beautiful Autumn in So IL also and I love riding through Shawnee national forest and watching the leaves changing. I haven't been allowed to drive for 4 years now due to pain medications. We finally got a wheel chair and I've found it helps me get out more, which is important to mental health.

The display case is a spectacular Idea also. Heirlooms are important. I lost a really close friend several years back, Brian was a huge cubs fans and we had bought him a chicago cubs watch. After his passing his mom gave Tam and I the watch back. We saved it and this past spring sent it to his nephew that was too young when it all happened. He had recently enlisted and was being send over to Afganistan. The Watch was a huge deal for him. I'm so glad we set it back as physical object take on so much more meaning and give those left behind something to remind them of their family.

I also deal with Nausea, weakness/fatigue, eye issues and being shaky alot. Sadly the best Nausea med is only legal in 20 states and the district of columbia. IL just passed legislation on it at the beginning of this month after 3-4 years in legislation. It's sad to be ill and forced to be a criminal if you need the correct medication. 

Be well as you can and know others of us care and are concerned.

Harley dealerships also have bikes to rent, just like a rental car...go for a spin!!!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station