Kevin

What have you recieved today

36 minutes ago, CDW said:

How will you potty train him?

Almost the same way as Jack described.

The last dog I had to train was my Shepard about thirty years ago before entering into K-9. I have only had two dogs since and they were older rescue dogs already trained. The only real big difference is that I am not a big kennel box kind of person, especially when it comes to a dog like a Shih Tzu. I had to wake the lazy mutt up this morning at about 6:30, carry him down stairs, (He is still to little to do stairs on his own) grabbed a cup of coffee as I carried him out the door and drank it while he decided if it was time or not. He of course went almost right away and got a lot of attaboy's that I think he mostly ignored as he really does not comprehend the concept of a potty place yet and was just doing what he would have been doing anyway if I had not brought him outside. I took him for his first leash walk later and he went poop that time but again he was just doing it when he felt. Like Jack says it will start clicking a little better when he starts understanding the words and concept through repetition, and puts them together.  

Give it a few days, I just might take that pocket knife!:default_wallbash:

Edited by lmagna

5 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I am not a big kennel box kind of person

I'm not either Lou. I was very glad to put the crate in storage and let our Corgi have free run of the house.  She's so well trained that now she will come and get me (barks at me) when she needs to go outside when it's "unscheduled". ;)

My last dog, (Also a Shih Tzu) did pretty much the same thing except she taught it to herself. She would go to the front door that has a slight rattle to it and slap her paw against it to make a noise then look at you to see if you heard. Then we would let her out the BACK DOOR! then she would give us a bark to come back in when she was done. 

I'm not so sure what is going to happen with this guy. So far we have yet to hear him bark at all! 

Just a short update.

I just took him for his afternoon walk, (Second time on a leash) and he found a pine cone on the ground about the size of a golf ball. He grabbed it up and with his head held as high as he could manage carried it almost two blocks just as proud as could be about what a treasure he had found! A real Kodak minute without a Kodak! His mouth got tired just before we got home and he dropped it for the last time so I picked it up and carried it the rest of the way.

17 hours ago, lmagna said:

Time to start again. Born 4/17/18 arrived yesterday.

Lou,

I look at your new son (the boss says he is cute as a bugs ear?) and he reminds me of the EWOKS from Star Wars, I forget what planet you had to travel to to pick him up. What's really cool I find out later you named him chewy for Chewbaca now how cool is that. Man the the Karma is working don't mess with it!

Take him for a walk in the park the cute little thing is a chick magnet (don't let the your Boss see this post.);)

8 hours ago, trippwj said:

You ARE trainable!  I hope you got a treat when you got home.

Wayne Just GETTING back home under my own power is a treat these days!

5 hours ago, gjdale said:

Not necessarily in that order.....

You have that right Grant, the order in this house changes depending on who you are talking to. The Admiral has her list, the kids have theirs, and mine doesn't matter!

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

you left out one!  Hot Dogs !

Jack

Not only are hot dogs not a food group, they are not even food!:o:P

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Jack

Not only are hot dogs not a food group, they are not even food!:o:P

Lou

That depends on whose brand of Hot Dog you are eating !   :D If you mean those "national brands" we see on TV and elsewhere I agree with you.  I don't much buy or consume the "national brands" either.  Just the local brand...... which is made in the same tradition as the German and Italian immigrants who started the brand many many generations back. ;)  But, alas, I have to drive 100 miles one way to find the one grocery store  that carries them ....

I can hear those arteries clogging. Since I cannot buy my favorite it was a Knockwurst sold at an old family owned delicatessen closed in the 80s, for a quick dog I had purchased Nathans all beef hot dogs  Note: of merit we just found out Nathans sold down here are not the same sold on Coney Island go figure. Next I am going to try this Sugardale Brand sold here $ 1.00 for 8 package, sometimes on sale BYGO 2 for a $1.00 really how bad can they be. :(

John, these are the brand of hot dog I prefer (company started in 1880 in Rochester NY) . They come in two styles - Red and White - the White is a favorite.  We have Nathan's around here also but not sure about it being the same as Coney Island - could be since we are only 100 plus miles from there.

image.thumb.jpeg.86cd9e2a49141b6bee41bfb543e45da5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6f80d1b231ec337fb8bab53828547dd.jpeg

Jack,

Would love to try I would have to have them flown in, this is Alabama so choices of foods is not good sometimes that's why I really miss Mrs. Shwartes Deli, man she had stuff from all over. Next trip to New Orleans will check over there you can find most anything in addition to things you do not want to find. Difference between red and white??

I am hooked on Howard Johnson's Black Raspberry Ice Cream, one store would order it for me then went out of business I have to stop depression setting in.

Ron,

You are right ,they grind everything for dogs, bone, hair, skin anything that does not have a commercial use goes in the good ole American Hot Dog once seen most people pass.

20 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

depends on whose brand of Hot Dog you are eating

True

There are different grades of "Hot Dogs" and some actually approach the level of food.

I am unaware of a store brand in my area that has this kind of quality, Trader Joe's may come close.

The big difference does not come until you go to a town in the area called Leavenworth that prides itself for German food. You can get a meal there that is truly worth eating consisting of assorted Hot Dog like items or Brats, (My favorite) with home made Spaetzle. Now THERE is a meal I can get behind!

If I go somewhere and I am not going to be home for dinner the first meal My wife thinks of for her and the kids is Macaroni and cheese, (Another non food substance) and Hot Dogs! They LOVE that as a meal!:huh:

What is also kind of funny is that when i was doing research on my last house that was built in 1905 the original owner was from Germany and made his living as a "Sausage maker".

3 hours ago, John Allen said:

really how bad can they be

John. We will be awaiting your report should you accept and survive the experience.

Ron

There are a lot of things you never want to watch being made. I have heard the same thing said of the kitchens in Chinese restaurants. 

John,

The Red is a slightly spicy all beef hot dog, a little spicier than your typical national brand; the White is more a bockwurst style made with equal amounts of pork, veal and beef and some spices,  as I recall.  Zweigles can be ordered online; see their website Zweigle's  open the tab that reads Where To Buy then select Buy Online. It takes you to New York Style Deli.com.

Around here the only grocery store that carries them consistently is Wegmans which is mostly Western NY (Rochester - based, Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton) but they have opened stores in MA, NJ, PA, Eastern MD,  northeast VA, with plans to venture in NC in the Raleigh area. BTW I grew up in Rochester with Wegmans and Zweigles hots.  The Hot Dogs are more in the style of "Old World" German sausages with an American adaptation. :D  Anyone I have ever served them to has raved about them. When we were kids and our parents took us to the lake we go to one of the lake shore hot dog stands and order a "hot dog", invariably we were asked "which kind, Red or White (or "Texas" or "Porker")"

Used to have lots of HoJo's around here but they all closed down years ago.

Ron, according to Zweigles' website they use only top quality muscle meat with no chopped up chicken parts as fillers like other producers use. The company was started in 1880 by German immigrants. I think the current owner is the 5th generation - great-great-granddaughter.

35 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Trader Joe's may come close

Lou

We have a couple Trader Joe's in our region but none close enough for me to patronize on a regular basis - the nearest one is in Albany 55 Miles north of me :( but we have made the "pilgrimage" north to shop there :D as we do to the Wegmans in north Jersey about 100 miles south of us.

26 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

The Red is a slightly spicy all beef hot dog, a little spicier than your typical national brand; the White is more a bockwurst style made with equal amounts of pork, veal and beef and some spices,

Both sound good if they ship in a cold container will try both white sounds more interesting thanks for the heads up.

55 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Macaroni and cheese, (Another non food substance) and Hot Dogs

Lou,

You are a communist shame for slamming Americas favorite 2 food groups.

1 hour ago, John Allen said:

You are a communist shame for slamming Americas favorite 2 food groups.

I'm not personally a party member but you need to remember that I live in a area where they are common and proud! https://fremont.com/explore/sights/lenin-statue/ 

Where in NY do you live Jack? The last time I was there it was pretty much town to town and a endless stream of people from one point to the other, kind of like southern California, or western Washington I suppose. It sounds like all your good shopping is too far to bother.:o

Currently I'm in the Hudson Valley about 10 clics east of Woodstock - before that I lived in Rochester in western NY right on Lake Ontario.  Used to be heavy lake effect snow country but climate change is messing that up big time.  Yankee stadium (NYC) is 100 miles south of me. Manhattan a few clics more.  I'm on west bank of Hudson River.  On weekend the NYS Thruway looks like the Pasadena Freeway with everyone driving back to NYC / NJ from the ski areas just north of me and north of Albany or in summer from Lake George and/or Saratoga - we avoid the Thruway on weekend - take back roads, much much faster.  But I still have plenty of elbow room here - ditto Rochester.

Where in NY were you when you lived here?

Edited by Jack12477

2 hours ago, John Allen said:

Both sound good if they ship in a cold container will try both white sounds more interesting thanks for the heads up.

John, I'm sure they ship in cold containers. My family back in Rochester tells me they have friends who moved away due to job relocations and still have Zweigles shipped to them for special gatherings - some as far as California.  Check their website - I don't remember the details but I did read about in at one time - fortunately I have a Wegmans within a couple hour drive of me so I can make a quarterly run and stock up - freezers are great for bulk storage ;) - BTW if I remember correctly both red and white dogs are par-boiled first before wrapping so they are partially cooked when you buy them.  They are best GRILLED not boiled :(

Jack,

Pythagoras here!!  We always bring a supply of Zweigles back to Florida when we leave NY.  We love them.

Tom

Edit,  Jack, Wegmans, our favorite grocery store, also has a "knockoff" Zweigles and they are  great!!!

Tom,  again!

Edited by pythagoras
overlooked your ending of last post

Tom, yes, I know ! Under the Wegmans brand name. But I think they discontinued it.  I was in their "flagship" store in Pittsford Plaza last Saturday and I did not see their brand name hot dogs anywhere. Only the Zweigles brand.  Of course they had the Syracuse favorite brand Hoffman's and the Buffalo favorite brand Sahlens right alongside the Zweigles.  I've had the other two brands, they are good but not like Zweigles.

17th Century Naval Battle Station

Several months ago a couple of my modeling cyber friends and I decided to do a joint venture project.  One of us owns a CNC router and laser cutter, so we started to look for a project that was interesting, but doable for guys like us with no experience.  After some searching and discussion, we settled on Jeff Staudt's 17th Century Battle station as our subject.  Jeff's plans are freely available for scratch building, so we decided to go ahead.  We are NOT going into the model kit business!  This is for our enjoyment only! Here's a link to Jeff's plans:

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_images/custom/Battle Station Practicum - 1-32 Practicum.pdf

This project takes a bit of a different approach and uses some techniques not generally seen in the hobby.  We plan to build not just 1 but 3 examples of a 17th century battle station based upon Jeff Staudt's plans. The models will be in 1:32 scale and exhibit the following features:

- Use of both CNC and laser for the fabrication of parts. In some cases parts may be fabricated using a combination of both tools.
- Over 200 parts - all architecturally dimensioned for perfect fit including the planking. Very little manual cutting, sanding, or shaping.
- Experimental laser etched details to include properly scaled treenails and the use of laser char to simulate plank caulking.
- Paint-with-wood. Entire model built from various custom milled hardwoods. No paint or stains will be used.  
- Hand turned brass cannon and custom fabricated metal work.  
- The use of Google Sheets for real-time collaboration of technical details such as part numbers, dimensions, machine specs, etc.
- Much more ...

Prior to starting to produce the kits, we did a bunch of work up-front to include:

- Imported all of Jeff's drawings into CAD software, cleaned them up, made corrections where needed
- Rendered each of the parts for either CNC cutting or laser cutting... or in some cases both
- Test cut prototypes of all 200 parts in poplar and basswood
- Assembled the prototype taking extensive notes and making updates to the design where needed
- Created a spreadsheet of all 200 parts to enable selection of hardwood types, machine method, and grouping
- Selected, sourced and milled the various hardwoods necessary for 3 separate models.

I'm pleased to report that I received my version of the kit today! It weighs nearly 6 pounds and includes various hardwoods, including cherry, hard maple, swiss pear, boxwood holly and ebony.  There are hand-turned brass cannons and custom fabricated metal parts.  Although similar, the three kits do have several options to differentiate a builder's model from the others if he chooses.  There is even a CNC produced 3D carved gun port wreath of osage orange!

We're excited to share the build experience with you.  Watch for logs about our building process, and also some background information and photos that help explain how we got here.  Enjoy!

Note:  Although this Battle Station was designed to represent no particular vessel, it's layout is very similar to the HMS Mordaunt, a 4th rate British Ship of the line of 46 guns, launched in 1681.  We choose to name her Mordaunt, with a little poetic license!

Mordaunt2.JPG

Mordaunt6.JPG

Mordaunt5.JPG

Mordaunt4.JPG

Mordaunt3.JPG

Mordaunt1.JPG

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Where in NY were you when you lived here?

I didn't live there.

Just passing through when my son was in college and later when he did his residency and lived in neighboring states before moving back to the west a couple of years ago.

2 hours ago, DocBlake said:

17th Century Naval Battle Station

Several months ago a couple of my modeling cyber friends and I decided to do a joint venture project.  One of us owns a CNC router and laser cutter, so we started to look for a project that was interesting, but doable for guys like us with no experience.  After some searching and discussion, we settled on Jeff Staudt's 17th Century Battle station as our subject.  Jeff's plans are freely available for scratch building, so we decided to go ahead.  We are NOT going into the model kit business!  This is for our enjoyment only! Here's a link to Jeff's plans:

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_images/custom/Battle Station Practicum - 1-32 Practicum.pdf

This project takes a bit of a different approach and uses some techniques not generally seen in the hobby.  We plan to build not just 1 but 3 examples of a 17th century battle station based upon Jeff Staudt's plans. The models will be in 1:32 scale and exhibit the following features:

- Use of both CNC and laser for the fabrication of parts. In some cases parts may be fabricated using a combination of both tools.
- Over 200 parts - all architecturally dimensioned for perfect fit including the planking. Very little manual cutting, sanding, or shaping.
- Experimental laser etched details to include properly scaled treenails and the use of laser char to simulate plank caulking.
- Paint-with-wood. Entire model built from various custom milled hardwoods. No paint or stains will be used.  
- Hand turned brass cannon and custom fabricated metal work.  
- The use of Google Sheets for real-time collaboration of technical details such as part numbers, dimensions, machine specs, etc.
- Much more ...

Prior to starting to produce the kits, we did a bunch of work up-front to include:

- Imported all of Jeff's drawings into CAD software, cleaned them up, made corrections where needed
- Rendered each of the parts for either CNC cutting or laser cutting... or in some cases both
- Test cut prototypes of all 200 parts in poplar and basswood
- Assembled the prototype taking extensive notes and making updates to the design where needed
- Created a spreadsheet of all 200 parts to enable selection of hardwood types, machine method, and grouping
- Selected, sourced and milled the various hardwoods necessary for 3 separate models.

I'm pleased to report that I received my version of the kit today! It weighs nearly 6 pounds and includes various hardwoods, including cherry, hard maple, swiss pear, boxwood holly and ebony.  There are hand-turned brass cannons and custom fabricated metal parts.  Although similar, the three kits do have several options to differentiate a builder's model from the others if he chooses.  There is even a CNC produced 3D carved gun port wreath of osage orange!

We're excited to share the build experience with you.  Watch for logs about our building process, and also some background information and photos that help explain how we got here.  Enjoy!

Note:  Although this Battle Station was designed to represent no particular vessel, it's layout is very similar to the HMS Mordaunt, a 4th rate British Ship of the line of 46 guns, launched in 1681.  We choose to name her Mordaunt, with a little poetic license!

Mordaunt2.JPG

Mordaunt6.JPG

Mordaunt5.JPG

Mordaunt4.JPG

Mordaunt3.JPG

Mordaunt1.JPG

Is there any way to get the plans for laser-cutting and cnc-machining? Would love to build this one, because I have a friend with such machines.