Kevin

What have you recieved today

Unable to upload pictures for some reason. But I received 2 Incra rulers, 1 inch and 1 metric. Also 2 sets of Artesania Latina Micro Shapers. Ordered from amazon with a gift card from the Admiral.

20190201_203226.thumb.jpg.0f31510d7ef58db4acfb08d5b27fdb4d.jpg

I guess they fixed it.

Edited by Osmosis

Hello!!!

Very small package but very big in value!!!

I received some of Chuck's blocks. I have to say they are excellent.

I have some blocks I ordered from overseas long time ago. Not going to mention where.

You can see them in the column to the left. You can also see that Chuck's (besides being much more well made), have a groove already cut in them.

The reason I ordered these 3mm blocks was because the ones I already have, in the left, have no groove and the rope constantly went out of place. So I had to manually cut it and at 3mm it was a very tiresome and time consuming operation.

So kudos to Chuck and his wide variety of products. I will make sure to order all my blocks for my next project from him!!!

IMG_0179.JPG.74aceaff4cc46848b9a693b7218a6897.JPG

Hello all...

Just returned from my annual trip to San Antonio Texas for the annual IPMS (Int'l Plastic Modelers Society) contest and meeting. I mostly go for the shopping, although occasionally I have entered some of my wooden ships.

In my continuous quest for finding a tool I don't already have I found the following:

Set of tweezers. Yeah right... like I don't already have enough. But anyway, they looked really well made...

IMG_0002.JPG.6303f8655de714e6f00b818482806ff4.JPG

A set of CA pinpoint placers. I rarely use CA but they fulfill the pre-requisite of being a tool that I don't already have... :)

IMG_0003.JPG.34e1de11dad798d8a59e5378bf331ddd.JPG 

This third hand tool I find will be very useful when tying blocks and such... so... come and get it...

IMG_0004.JPG.1d6e06f9a94869346378a8e41908ce4f.JPG

And what I think was my best purchase is this set of 7 multi-shaped mini saws. They have every imaginable shape in their cutting edges.

You don't need a handle. You get a very strong grip just by holding them by the grooved handle with your thumb and finger tips. I think they will be very useful to make very small and precise cuts. We'll see!!!

IMG_0005.JPG.e1d5b5adf74c0fd83faa55cf9abbfa20.JPGIMG_0008.JPG.dcdafacfad67d589b2ff98c3132f2e4f.JPG

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I finally, FINALLY received one of my Christmas presents over the weekend! I received a set of six 1/250 card models from Paper Shipwright (https://www.papershipwright.co.uk/), designed by David Hathaway. I will be doing some reviews of these in the not-too-distant future (probably -- ya never know).

Ulises, what is the brand name for those saws? I can see any number of areas I could use them, hacking up plastic. I've been using that CA gluing tool for a while and I really like it. Chucked it up in a spare Exacto handle and it give good control with a controlled amount of the CA. My old paperclip was good, but this makes for better size applications. And it's a new tool. ;):)

2 hours ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Just returned from my annual trip to San Antonio Texas for the annual IPMS (Int'l Plastic Modelers Society) contest and meeting. I mostly go for the shopping, although occasionally I have entered some of my wooden ships.

Ulises:

Did you see Mitch Michelson manning the NRG's table?  We gained 1 new NRG member for sure and possibly others from the exposure.  It was sort of a last minute invite from the local club.

Kurt

IPMS - TX 2-16-19.jpg

What??? No!!! I did not see that table. How could I missed it?

I t was the first time I saw wooden ship model kits sold in the vendor's tables. But at prices outrageously high.

There was someone selling a Mamoli Constitution at 250 dlls which was very reasonable, but there was a Constructo Mayflower selling at 300, when in Amazon was at 259. 

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Ulises, what is the brand name for those saws? I can see any number of areas I could use them, hacking up plastic. I've been using that CA gluing tool for a while and I really like it. Chucked it up in a spare Exacto handle and it give good control with a controlled amount of the CA. My old paperclip was good, but this makes for better size applications. And it's a new tool. ;):)

Here you go...

They are made in Italy, btw.

It says for plastic and resin, but I don't see how they can not work on wood.

IMG_0009.JPG.88a93819248680bda2732539f4ddab99.JPG

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I received 2 books :

- The 74 Gun Ship, Practical treatise of naval art 1780, Vol. 2, french version, From Ancre

74_canons_vol2_1.thumb.jpg.7fb0d59cf3b18e5f4023bd7c5c8cb7f2.jpg

A must to have : all the details about the fittings and the internal arrangements with a full of detailled drawings.

It's the first one I buy but I will certainly complete the series.

74_canons_vol2_3.thumb.jpg.d0b96686afcb099dd04cafbe948505a5.jpg

The second one is a supplement book edited by SeaWatch books : Swan IV, Sail Making Supplement from David Antscherl

Making_sail.thumb.jpg.f9cbeac34a0ea6daffb004c6578b6244.jpg

A very interesting book which contains a detailed description of one of the methods for making sails.

A lot of drawings and pictures. Very precise and educational. A mus to have as well.

Got some brass sheaves from Cornwall models. Though so far my attempts in making working blocks have not been fruitful!

Also, some iron chain in black colour from ebay in 2 sizes, it was very cheap

20190222_095746.thumb.jpg.dd7e76f4199dc854acf5bd4adcf85b4a.jpg

Just found this at my front door.  Big thanks to SeaWatch Books for the great packaging as it was dropped off in the only pile of snow on my front steps (ignoring the other 90% of completely dry concrete)...

Looking forward to sitting down with it 

IMG_0363.jpg.e39332aaec42aa98ed42763999d8e21a.jpg

I received I vol1 of HMS Swan class sloop by David Antscherl. it cost me only 45USD so good value. now if I only could get the set of plans for the Swan. this message is worrying."We are no longer providing plans or supportive material for the Swan class series of ships."

so if there is someone who would want to get rid of his/hers for a reasonable price...

The company I am working for are going from desk top towers for business to the small pc's that you can almost put in your pocket.
With that there are items from time to time that they are just to deposit in garbage.
So, yesterday I came home with this machine. Installed Windows 8.1 Pro, had it since before.
Not so shabby for a free Pc.90687066_Newpc2.thumb.jpg.ba74c511132fe2f5adbcfeba75ab2584.jpg446100241_Newpc.thumb.jpg.b68f3859c1e47e3aba48af3fbae0448f.jpg 

Upgrade time: got a Proxxon FET saw, model 210576, today.

DSCN0135.thumb.JPG.a9c9e6aebfd11754dd03d6f473f66149.JPG

I tried it on a few pieces of elm, walnut and pine. Nothing demanding, just carefully adjusted the fence and VIOLA! produced perfect parallel cuts first time. I think I am going to enjoy this, and I will get rid of my wobbly MiniCraft saw (but I am keeping the trusty saw attachment for my Unimat SL lathe). Next job is to find out what blades I need.

Bruce

Carl, that is very useful. I have tried slitting saws in the past on my Unimat saw table and was very impressed with the results when set up correctly. They worked best, in my experiments, on harder woods and left very fine surfaces which needed no sanding. Softer woods were inclined to furring. I have a couple and will try them. 

Thanks,

Bruce

having abandoned my Amerigo Vespucci kit many years ago, i will be bringing her back to the build table on completion of the Victory

as there is quite a lot of damage i have so i have orded a few part kits to get her back to something i can proceed on

IMG_3885.JPG

17 hours ago, Osmosis said:

I have been wanting to order this book but can't seem to pull the trigger. Please post a review once you have had a chance to peruse it.

Thanks

OK,

Next week i have vacation, and a lot of time to read. 

59 minutes ago, Backer said:

OK,

Next week i have vacation, and a lot of time to read. 

Do they still have that in Belgium: "Vacation" !?!?

I would have thought you'd have plenty of time to build ...

3 hours ago, cog said:

Do they still have that in Belgium: "Vacation" !?!?

I would have thought you'd have plenty of time to build ...

2 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Vacation at my house means more time for "Honey Do's"

A week in Tenerife, Canary Islands.

All in....

👍👍

1 hour ago, Backer said:

All in....

An entire workspace, fully utilised ... you must be in modellers heaven ... you won't have any excuses for not being able to work on your model now ...