HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by svein erik - 1:48 scale

Hi 

am starting with chuck's cheerful, the boxwood version 

I wil use chuck's yellow cedar  for this prodjekt and also use chuck spilling metod with lining off hull.

am working on the frames and at this time is dry fittet.

started also with the boxwood keel parts 

Svein.erik 

20190330_102158.jpg

20190330_102220.jpg

20190330_102213.jpg

20190330_100930.jpg

20190330_102305.jpg

20190328_205501.jpg

• 3 months later...

How goes the progress....looking forward to seeing you build the model.   Remember to ask me any questions.  

Chuck

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

How goes the progress....looking forward to seeing you build the model.   Remember to ask me any questions.  

Chuck

hi chuck 

well i havent had the time to build more at this time , am working on the syren😲 and a little on the frame on the scratch build USCG Pequot,

so after summer i wil start fairing the hull and go from there,

wi have a sick child so am trying to get some building time in between!

but thanks for chekking inn😊 and yes i wil have questions when i start fully

svein.erik

18 hours ago, Chuck said:

Sorry to hear that....I hope for a speedy recovery!!!

thanks chuck, its going to be slow recovery.... it started 4 years ago and its going to be more years to come!

butt back to the building 😊 am now ready to fearing the hull and is there something i need to know before i start?

and i need some wood chuck😲 😉

svein erik

20190712_175853.jpg

20190712_175911.jpg

thanks for the likes,

more fairing( port side) and its beginning to look a hull ,

but how mutch do sand off..... its always a question😲

i do fhink i need to take more off at the stem and stern here 

there are some small dips etc here and there ... but its not going to be perfect as chucks cheerful😉

20190713_180002.jpg

20190713_175916.jpg

20190713_175745.jpg

20190713_175728.jpg

Am watching your build.  Looking forward to more of this project.  Do you after getting the frame too this point have any tips for what you had to think on or encountered during this assembly.  I purchased this semi-scratch parts project back in 2017.  Have it laid out on the work table just starting to clean and prep f/rabbit.

Rick 

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

9 hours ago, RickyGene said:

Am watching your build.  Looking forward to more of this project.  Do you after getting the frame too this point have any tips for what you had to think on or encountered during this assembly.  I purchased this semi-scratch parts project back in 2017.  Have it laid out on the work table just starting to clean and prep f/rabbit.

Rick 

hi Rick

before i start fairing the hull i always try to look on photo and plan it in my head as best i can , 

chuck always try to tell not to rush thrue this at this point .

am also using chuck's metod for planking the model, and at this point am using photo ... photo speeks for it self ... wel for me anyway,

i do have mistake but try always to learn from it . 

this prodjekt my task is to learn more and be better to planking the hull using chuck metod . 

chucks kit and parts is one of the best , so have a fun with this build 😊

my nex photo is coming soon ... then i wil be at the point of start planking ...

svein erik

thanks for likes,

the cheerful build is going nicly farword at this time,

the sills are finish and the stern frame is glued on and sanded down to match the planks,

next is to make the port sills at the stern and determine the wales before planking..... still waiting for the lumber...

svein erik

20190719_142050.jpg

20190719_142106.jpg

20190719_184156.jpg

20190719_184222.jpg

20190719_184320.jpg

20190719_184342.jpg

Hej min van,  Couldn’t resist, my father’s father was Swedish, my father’s mother Norwegian. Everybody on my mother’s side Irish. I only know enough phrases and words in all three to get my butt kicked badly, except for all the Christmas phrases. Anyway your Cheerful is coming along nicely. I’m currently building her in Alaskan Cedar.

Adjo, 

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

6 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Hej min van,  Couldn’t resist, my father’s father was Swedish, my father’s mother Norwegian. Everybody on my mother’s side Irish. I only know enough phrases and words in all three to get my butt kicked badly, except for all the Christmas phrases. Anyway your Cheerful is coming along nicely. I’m currently building her in Alaskan Cedar.

Adjo, 

Kurt

hello...😂😂  hei min venn , thats wat you wrote , this is the norwegian way😉

yes its coming along now , but i need to wat for the lumber so i can start planking,

so i wil go over to the syren build wile i wait😊

svein-erik

ok... i have deside not to wait for the alaskan ceder lumber and started to 

make the first planks for the wales using basswood strips milled down to 3/64 by 5/32 (first layer)

for the molding i yust used boxwood strips milled down to 3/64 by 1/16 (first layer)

then i have a start wile waiting for the wood😊

svein-eeik

20190727_153621.jpg

Just remember when you add the second layer to the wales, that as the wales approach the stem they taper their thickness until the wale is the same thickness as the regular planks at the stem. They no longer stand proud of them. You may want to taper the first layer a bit so that the second layer doesn’t become tapered paper thin. In other words taper both layers equally to obtain the finale thickness where they meet the stem. I would wait until you have the lumber you need to figure out how you want to achieve the taper. 

Chuck stated he overlooked this detail and had to go back to correct it. I know he did it deliberately to make him look as if he is a mere mortal. He’s very sneaky that way. Since the wale is painted black, it really does’t matter what type of wood you use, as long as it will take a decent finish (paint or dye). 

Is your building board some type of butcher block? If so that would cost a fortune in the US.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

43 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Just remember when you add the second layer to the wales, that as the wales approach the stem they taper their thickness until the wale is the same thickness as the regular planks at the stem. They no longer stand proud of them. You may want to taper the first layer a bit so that the second layer doesn’t become tapered paper thin. In other words taper both layers equally to obtain the finale thickness where they meet the stem. I would wait until you have the lumber you need to figure out how you want to achieve the taper. 

Chuck stated he overlooked this detail and had to go back to correct it. I know he did it deliberately to make him look as if he is a mere mortal. He’s very sneaky that way. Since the wale is painted black, it really does’t matter what type of wood you use, as long as it will take a decent finish (paint or dye). 

Is your building board some type of butcher block? If so that would cost a fortune in the US.

Kurt

thanks kurt, i diddent think of that😲 yes i think am wait for the vood, but am going to use the basswood plank as an template /test planking.

and yes its a butcher block😆 but from IKEA.... and i think the cost is about 9$

svein erik

53 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Your cedar has arrived in Norway....Probably get it today or on Monday.  Ten days 

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=la095465259us

Chuck

only 10 days.... its feels like forever...LOL

it has arived when i trak it, bit it was to big for the mailbox so i have to go to the post office to get it on Monday😆

svein erik