US Brig Syren 1803 by blackjack40 - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - by Joseph Brown

The chain plate was an interesting. I followed chucks instructions for the dead eyes and they were pretty simple and straight forward. xjQ6o_0HdBKVnkqerbq25Zs4Ow62imA-ir5Xr6OS 

OITKCGZQ3iuA2-kwyEiA8euCZEbvk-O6MoMqWwSn

qjLwbp24e_v_e6cX4iugpTOO-nYyxTrnB2GpiMT2

After the dead eyes, I ran into issues. I set up my jig as per the instructions but I couldn't get a consistent result. the nails pulled against the wood and bent inward ultimately leading to a lot of frustrations. I ended up using round nose jewelry pliers and a micrometer to get the results I wanted. 

C2zOKbFaDDteeSlk7Ta9RnCnLGiDEMbX-rpx6enr

s5-OC4uVxfV4V2Lj8A8nHzSvqMfV-JhLdXOlBT7Q

N7HksnW-wsfsAEk_wGUDdzp89czv0h5HDJIA0l5I

iHWkzYoEQ2_rUtT9-ycMuiHO_CbUKhGTudBS3Gw9

6AMqH7y-YTSi6FRbeCHg7q-ekGXCTB8-ggqtb9TJ

vdOdNv4wA-EeN6ahnzJgXiLIILPUbs0C3zo6IeVp

b2Weq9mibmVozX1wWon_18vMc9Imxh9U4nJ0kCWF

3bZb3CZXMtZPizGhq-IkzlDzbuLuwjRK_w_Wkey_

esVkrUU0mMJZyuTQqXwfSZYkictfNzn_X7LPkLY2

And now I'm caught back up on the build log. I hope you guys like all the pictures, in my mind, the pictures tell the story much better than I can. I ordered Chuck's serv-o-matic this week (thanks Chuck), once it gets here I'll start on the standing rigging!

-Joe

Policing up all the items I skipped over before I start going up with the rigging and I can’t reach stuff easily. I knocked out the anchor lines, stern gun port hatches  and the rudder pendants. Pretty happy with how everything is coming along. I decided to go with 1 piece gun port covers instead of the split ones called for in the plans. I like the way it looks better. 1 thing is for sure thou, my skills have improved a lot since I made the gun port covers for the sides, these look much better... almost makes me want to redo them... almost.

Rudder Pendants/gun ports.

f1FtSFPP7BaRoW4IG8u5r0_yJTJ9qhr-l5sfKM8c

d2bQB1-5plyusdaxD4Aru-8h2KJ-GmwrB7D59r-U

Anchor line

C1cOMLuAMxfwzn_WNNU4CerEgYDO8fZ-sZ13Uuoe

Thanks for taking a look, as always, open to feedback!

-Joe

Edited by blackjack40

Experimented with tying mouse knots tonight using Banyan's jig.

For this I'm using .40mm Line for the main and fore stay's and 50 weight thread for the weave. After building the jig, I turned formers using my mini lathe approximately 1/8 of in long and about 6/32 tapering to 3/32 and bored with 3/32 for the line.  

TAzWeqEN54uAXv7nYiDd5YBMZmbbz1VnQadbV7oA

then, I loaded up the jig with 13 lines. I experimented with waxed and unwax lined, didn't seem to make a difference. 

mekHMDmsgP7fjDCy61xEtFarw5IcRXntzN3Ey9Yg

After it was loaded up, I used a needle to attached the weaving and serving lines then tied the weave down around the rope behind the former. I tried doing this once on the wide portion and once at the point. It didn't seem to make a difference either way. At this point, it was expedient to serve the portion away from the weave, both times this seemed to work well.  I then ran into an issue. a portion of the running threads have bunched on one side of the former and despite my efforts I can't seem to get them to lay properly, the result is a nice weave on one side and a bare portion on the other as the weaving line continues to hook behind the former. once I'm done, I can some what cover this with some massaging and with some paint, the end result don't  look terrible, but it's certainly not the beautiful weave Banyan got.

Is this something I need to continue to experiment with or am I missing something? 

KHbaKdua0Quv96rrBar_TQejWlOj_JVEWf6I4YVS

P5czJzEqIxfqhJvzGGdl5FEK3rVVSaYEHgAECWG6

Thanks for looking.

-Joe

Got my Serv-o-Matic from Syren Model Ship company this week! absolutely love this little machine. what used to take hours with meh results now takes mins and looks amazing. Thanks Chuck! 

dmAnYdd014EUo-ce0BVEYZMFiCxYUnfHl8K1AjSm

Made all of my pendants, below served vs un-served. The wrap makes a huge difference in my opinion. 20 min job per pendant. 

2OeaNT_6yi_mZRpEJi9QctsWKgam2KWPrNtoneS3

Shroud number 1 Complete!

mXCTPF83QbzNKBD2SWgTJbl_BWU2IbnRiDKShSOL

Still working on some of the technique, but I'm very happy with this simple to use little machine.

-Joe 

The standing rigging has started! currently complete with the main mast and 4 shroud on the fore. the pictures only show through the main stay, I'll post more once the fore is completed. 

first up, the mouse! after I got my serving machine I decided to experiment with serving a mouse in stead of weaving. I really like how it turned out. I made both preventer stays in this method and the fore stay. the main stay was already rigged . I turned a former on my lathe, measured and served from the eye up to the former. Applied a generous amount of white glue then served up from the running end over the former and back to create the mouse. A little patience and I think it looks awesome. 

e0sUS2MSTcljEYHf7EpdcAaoyzALSBa2t5tI0B_E

More to follow...

That mouse looks great! I wish I could make them that good.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 years later...

Team, Happy Holidays! I'm sorry, looks like I've neglected this Log for a while. Since my last post in 2020, the Army saw fit to send me to school in Kansas for a year then moved me again to Washington. between that, and a short deployment I haven't kept this log up to date. That dose not mean that I haven't made progress on the Brig though. Currently I'm working on building the yards arms. I'll make several post to bring this log back to current, lots of lessons learned, so check back in!

AL9nZEXMTGnSLG29MHpCmlAxpoO6-MZqZ8R8y5Hu

-Joe

After tying the lower shrouds I started the rat lines, tied the catharpins, the futtock staves and shrouds. I'm really happy with how these came out. It took a few tries to get it right and the rat lines still look a bit tight, they cause the shrouds to come in a little, but over all I was pleased enough to drive on.  With these complete, I packed up the ship and moved to Kansas. AL9nZEVr6N0ejjdmlPhLZOhjCaGdGmKbzSHZ2vLA

AL9nZEXcUiRLZ-oY-7Cd67DMw9AhCWBaw0ulNYgh

During the 10 and a half months we lived in Kansas, I did not have a lot of time to work on the ship. School effectively dominated my life. Aside from very minor progress tying rat lines on the lower shrouds I left the ship in more or less the same state as the move to Kansas and moved it to Washington.   

Since we got here about a year and a half ago, I've made good progress. First up, rigging the main and fore topmast and topgallants! 

AL9nZEUmR7kgfXNy4tV25dVY9x6tNdUMcjl-kSMl

The shroud cleats were tricky, I ended up ordering the cleats from from Syren Model Ship Company, supper happy I did, they look much better than the cast ones. They still took a bit of shaping but I think they came out well! 

I choose to serve The topmast shrouds, I'm not sure this was the right call as they became much thicker than I think they would be otherwise. If I had to do it again, I would either not serve them or use a smaller serving thread. 

AL9nZEWOCfDDUsPdmx7_YNeaeEa-tYNDpGj41cv- 

AL9nZEVSRvKjKM5HA3jgiBj73dAhq4vyM_2kZ1D7

After rigging the main topmast, the topgallents went quick. 

-Joe

On 8/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, blackjack40 said:

The flurry of activity is coming to close tomorrow as I come back off leave. However, I'm making more hay while the sun shines, below is the completed sub assembly for the ships wheel and the cradle stand completed!   

LQlchX-GL2cmqm142TKvTUxN7x0sx0MxLXqH6uei

2it_J7fd67KnVPDdVY31BxdlnACEGQcZMnr05iTj

9U6JrTHY--WlA5pCktzBjODv2Tt_YK5kc6uc5_1h

la_1R8B4ZjVqcGpQha2Kk5T_MQzcmdiNYFHHsuoP

Now, back to work!

-Joe 

Just an army dude that likes ships 

excellent work, very nice indeed