BETAQDAVE

Suddenly we are older

Here we are somehow... the winter of our lives, and it has somehow caught us by surprise..   How did we ever get here so fast?   Where did all of those years go and what has happened to our youth?  We can remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those "older people" were years away from us and that the winter of our lives was so far off that we could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, low and behold, here it is...our friends are retiring and getting grey... they move slower and we see an older person in ourselves now.  Some of them are in better and some worse shape than us... but, we have come to notice a great change...   Not at all like the people that we remember who were young and vibrant...but, like us, their age is beginning to show and we are now becoming those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd become.

Well, I for one, have come to realize that I am fast becoming one of those old folks, due to noticing some sure signs of aging.  I am sure alot of us here have also noticed.  Things like:  Taking a nap is not just a treat anymore...... it's becoming mandatory!  Because if I don't on my own free will... I may just fall asleep where I sit. 

Does this ring a bell with any of the rest of us?  If so, fire away, add your two cents here. 

Edited by BETAQDAVE
typo

30 minutes ago, davyboy said:

I often go to another room to fetch something and can't remember what it was when I get there 

I just go back to the first room so that I might remember why I left it in the first place. If I still can't remember then I just sit back down figuring that it wasn't all that important to begin with. Works pretty much all of the time except if the reason I got up in the first place was to go to the bathroom!:wacko:

I just celebrated my 72nd, I am now one of those old people I once chuckled at. I still put up the good fight, I tire easily but my old cat Amelia is always ready to take a little nap with daddy as I dream of far off sunny isles and nut brown girls. I don't heal as fast these days but I'm fortunate to be in relatively good health and I enjoy my hobbies, my friends, and most of all, my dear wife. Life is a grand thing, I want to be here as long as God will allow and I plan on savoring it till the last drop!

Hi. I wouldn't say "suddenly" (we are old)...
It took us some models like scratched tally marks, showing us how long was the way to become old (actually adults...);)
Keep making tally marks ! :)

Edited by Thanasis

This is somewhat off the topic of getting older, but today being national beer day, it brought this story to mind.  Remembering some of the good times makes some of the bad times easier to take.  Like one of our first trips to Maui with our best friends back in 94.

While the admirals were out shopping Mark and I of course went in search of the nearest tavern to cool down from the unseasonable 90 degree heat wave that they were having.  This one was the Blue Lagoon in downtown Lahaina.  We spent several hours there talking to the owner and had a few just to wet our whistle.  He wasn't a native of Hawaii and we had a session of where were we from to pass the time.  Try as we might, we couldn't seem to figure out where he was from until I just took a blind stab at it guessing Iceland.

As a reward for my guess we got a round on the house.  Taking out my camera, I took a couple pictures of our reward.  Feeling artsy after a having had a few, the first I called still life, and the second still life with flash.

328938763_HAWAII2004078.thumb.jpg.e0f06651444ed716bfa1217bbf32c936.jpg

260282519_HAWAII2004079.thumb.jpg.9e0403eb4c8954c474c2819be481e83e.jpg  This last is a picture of the owner in case you need to know what a native of Iceland looks like.

402445358_HAWAII2004080.jpg.17b82268b50d4039ea9058512ee5a0da.jpg

As my friend Mark has recently passed, it's good to remember some of those good times to soften the blow of the bad times. 

Looks like this topic needs to be resuscitated a bit.  Maybe these will breath a little life into it. 

Going out is good, coming home is even better.

You have finally come to realize that you're never going to be really good at anything............especially golf! 

What used to be called freckles are now liver spots.

Or finally:

You have begun to use more four letter words.............."what?"...."when?....????

I remember a comedian years ago, who said (paraphrasing, because I can’t remember his exact words ..... where was I going with this? Oh yeah.) When I was 20, I would go out all night. Drink all night, fight all night and “     “ all night, drive my car through a brick wall, get up in the morning and go to work. Now that I’m forty, it just feels like I did all that! Forty was a while ago. Where was I going with this ............

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch.

Or.

You swear that everyone is whispering now!

And then there is this one that really hits home with me since becoming confined to a wheelchair. (It takes a good hour for me to accomplish this now.)

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Keith Black said:

I plan on savoring it till the last drop!

Hi Keith

I know you posted this a while ago but somehow I missed it, or possibly don't remember seeing it!

At any rate I could not agree with your entire statement any more. Today is my 70th and my wife went out of her way to try and make it special. But just being here with her and the rest of my family is good enough for me.

I still don't think I felt this old a few months ago!

Edited by lmagna

Thanks Mark

Now to see if I can make through the next decade and really achieve something! To me 70 feels a little like 21 did only WAY OLDER. Kind of like a milestone in life. I can't help but wonder if 80 will be like turning 25 and realizing that you are not a kid anymore and have to get your life together?

What I was referring to Mark was that for some reason, when I turned 25 it seemed like everything became a little more serious. I had a family to raise and other responsibilities that at 21 I probably had not paid as much attention to. 21 was much more fun, at least for me it seemed to be.

I had no idea you were reaching "Senior Citizen" status Jack. You type much younger. :P^_^

Lou, a belated Happy Birthday.

Yep, the original Byrds was quite the band with Jim McGuinn, David Crosby, Gene Clark, Michael Clarke and Chris Hillman.  Loved when McGuinn broke out the 12 string guitar. Folk rock.

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

I had no idea you were reaching "Senior Citizen" status Jack.

Well, let's see ! Most places in the US give a  "Senior Citizen"  discount to anyone age 62 or older.   And I've been enjoying that little perk for a long long long time ! ;):P😎

On 6/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, Jack12477 said:

And I've been enjoying that little perk for a long long long time ! ;):P😎

62 is just the apprentice stage! True old age comes when they no longer ask you for ID to prove your age! Isn't it funny how having to prove you are old enough comes back to haunt you after all these years?

I just got done reserving a camp site for our annual summer family gathering and for the first time my America The Beautiful Senior pass was not usable! It is supposed to be good for half off on all National parks and Federal lands but some bean pusher apparently decided the Government was loosing too much money on us old people even though the membership was supposed to be good for life. So much for promises! I could have possibly had a little more understanding if I had booked the weekend, (Assuming I COULD have booked a weekend) but I booked weekdays when the campground will practicably be empty anyway. I would think that half price would be better than no price for an empty space. 

Oh well, snivel snivel, whine whine, time marches on. 

A few months ago my wife and I are watching TV and a PSA comes on talking about being a good neighbor and checking in on your older neighbors from time to time just to say hi and see how they’re doing. I turn to my wife and say      “ We really don’t have any older neighbors “. She looks at me and says

” Honey, we ARE the older neighbors “. 

1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

so old or not, I'm good with it.

Reminds me of a poem I originally heard from my grandmother as a child;

My Get-Up-And-Go Has Got Up and Went

Anonymous

Old age is golden, or so I’ve heard said, 
But sometimes I wonder, as I crawl into bed, 
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup, 
My eyes on the table until I wake up. 
As sleep dims my vision, I say to myself: 
Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf? 
But, though nations are warring, and Congress is vexed, 
We’ll still stick around to see what happens next!

How do I know my youth is all spent? 
My get-up-and-go has got up and went! 
But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin 
And think of the places my getup has been!

When I was young, my slippers were red; 
I could kick up my heels right over my head. 
When I was older my slippers were blue, 
But still I could dance the whole night through. 
Now I am older, my slippers are black. 
I huff to the store and puff my way back. 
But never you laugh; I don’t mind at all: 
I’d rather be huffing than not puff at all!

I get up each morning and dust off my wits, 
Open the paper, and read the Obits. 
If I’m not there, I know I’m not dead, 
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed!

Edited by lmagna

5 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

Heck, after going through open heart surgery, I'm just happy to be able to get up in the morning and put my feet on the floor by myself, so old or not, I'm good with it.

Exactly.  I worked with a gentleman years ago who was in his 70's and worked because he loved what he did.   His favorite saying when asked how he was is pure simplicity:  "Well, I woke up, was able to sit and take nourishment.  So it's a good day.".