Suddenly we are older

I remember going over to Grampa's house to see his new TV. It was in a huge wood cabinet, the screen was about 12-13 inches across with a huge magnifying glass mounted in front of it and it was all in black and white. Grampa sat in his easy chair directly in front of the tube and about 5-6 feet back and us grandkids stood directly behind him and looked over his shoulder to view the show.   Wow !  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Not sure what category this belongs in, but as someone who is technologically challenged by having grown up before computers, perhaps this is the right section . . .

image.png.bc50a5e7250acc535b7643198360270b.png

The problem with being old and having worked with computers since the 80's is I can think of worse things than Windows 8. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob?

And why can my brain cells remember that but then take 20 minutes to find where I left a screwdriver bit from a week ago.

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

The problem with being old and having worked with computers since the 80's is I can think of worse things than Windows 8. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob?

And why can my brain cells remember that but then take 20 minutes to find where I left a screwdriver bit from a week ago.

Let's not bring up Bob.... bad memory... very bad.  I'm an old hack also but never went beyond Win 7.  Watching the "updates" and "oh craps" going on in couple of tech pubs, Win10 isn't exactly ready for prime time either.

I think the brain cell issue is that we have do a soft-boot of it when we change from "doing something" to "go find tools".  Maybe a floppy disk needs to be swapped?

My first computer was the Commodore 64. I wrote a few articles for Compute! magazine, mostly converting games from the PET computer, one on a program to display math functions graphics (circles sine waves, and other algebra type equations) (Done for one of my college courses), and a program to use Assembler language (the Assembler written in basic) on the 64 (again for a course). When Compute! published a book of some of the articles that had been in the magazine, two of mine were included. Made enough to pay for all the equipment I'd bought, back. Back then each piece (computer, floopy drive, monitor, printer, etc.) seemed to each run about $500 (in 80s dollars). For that much I can generally build a really nice desktop, and buy a monitor too, today!

My son has gotten into the old computers (including the 64), now, so I'm going to give him my copy of the Compute! book. Signed by me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 7:29 AM, Louie da fly said:

image.png.d66d0d973ce988aac20014b5bbd6a8bf.png

And now it turns out there's a bigger carnivorous dinosaur than Tyrannosaurus Rex and the brontosaurus never existed - it was a confusion between a brachiosaurus and a diplodocus. Is nothing from my childhood sacred?

Yep,   Spinosaurus  -

https://www.britannica.com/animal/Spinosaurus

OC.

16 hours ago, lmagna said:

OUCH!:(  Of course, on some years that is pretty much how I feel after the first hour of up and down to the door anyway! I have no idea what this year will bring. 

Probably about the same as last year though personally I would expect fewer.   Does a Frankenstein mask count as virus face mask?