WWII Mk. IX Spitfire - Halinski - 1:33 scale - Card - FINISHED

The completed tail-wheel which will be left off until later :

IMG_5745.JPG

The two wing-mounted bombs and their mounts, another couple of day's work :

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

The two "propellors" are rather small and almost invisible when fitted, but why not :D :

IMG_5749.JPG

The mounts fitted. A few wire braces to be made and fitted :

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

One of the bombs fitted :

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I also didn't know about the pre-molded canopy when I ordered the kit, so everything is made from 0.25mm acetate. Gluing this stuff is almost impossible without the right glue. Fortunately Loctite make one that actually works :) . It comes with an activator which must be applied before the super-glue :

IMG_5757.JPG

To shape the curved parts I clamped them to some scrap timber and used my heat gun on low setting to CAREFULLY bend them permanently. A couple of goes were needed before I found the right amount of heat without melting the pieces :

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

The canopy frames have an inside and an outside. The Loctite glue worked well, but a lot of care was needed to align the pieces properly. The excess was trimmed off after the glue dried :

IMG_5758.JPG

The windscreen :

IMG_5755.JPG

Before fitting the screen I had to fit the bomb-sight :

IMG_5759.JPG

All done :

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

After fitting the small details the model is FINISHED :D . It was a very enjoyable kit to build, and I'm going to make the Merlin engine next as a "stand-alone" build to be displayed alongside the plane :

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5763.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Superb work danny  - what an amazing job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It really is hard to believe that's card and paper, Danny.   Wonderful work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's amazing what skill and patience can do, starting with what is obviously a well-designed and made pile of sheets of cardboard.

Very well done indeed. An inspiring example. 

Taken together with Doris's wonderful card ship models, it is a continuing amazement what 3D masterpieces can be produced with a raw material which is, essentially, only two-dimensional.

Great work Dan!

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Wunderbar ! Danny

great work in card...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

11 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Nice work Danny. One comment maybe. On the first page of the thread, a lot of pics dont show. Would you be able to reupload them so i too can admire?

They are all OK on my computer Pav. Perhaps you have a problem with your computer's Operating System. Sometimes if your Internet connection is running a bit slow it can take some time to load the pics and they only come up as the link to them at first.

Does anyone else have a problem seeing all the pics?

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thanks a lot, Danny, for the meticulous log showing the individual steps and methods. I also appreciate your noting the time it took for several of the steps. In all a real help to others, as well as a good reminder of the attraction and skills held by card modelling which differ so much from those of wood modelling. I find I have to have a very different mindset when approaching card modelling and your log demonstrates perfectly that mindset.

Tony

Beautiful work on one of my favorite aircraft, Danny.

And I had no issues seeing all your photos.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I see all the pictures as well.........apparently I wasn't getting the notifications that you were posting though.   I've been in the forum for a while now....all the logs that I've been following have been highlighted..........but not this one :(    don't mind my other question.....after seeing the engine compartment,  there's no way you'd be able to do it.  I shouldn't speak too loudly......knowing your level of experience,  you'd probably figure a way to do it  ;) 

wonderful model.......the level of detail is through the roof!   your truly a master of card  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

No missing pictures here either, but like Denis and Jan I had no idea it was being built as no updates showed up until today when the entire build appeared out of nowhere as finished!

I have no experience with card models but this one looks very clean without some of the squared off edges so many card kits seem to have. I am pretty much certain that is as much a result of the skill used in building it as in the model design.  Great work Dan 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very nice Danny....Looking forward to the Merlin build

• 1 year later...

While browsing the forum I came upon your Spitfire build. Dan, I don't know what to say that other have already posted.  I am building boats now but I am a fanatic of aviation and the Spitfire is one of my favorites. I have never assembled a card model and your post is showing me what can be done for reality. I just put an order on E-bay for one of the Spitfire 5V from Halsenki. I will use your post as a guide. 

Excellent work, congratulations 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

sadly,  the master of card has passed away,  but I'm sure he's smiling,  knowing that his logs live on ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 4/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, Ras Ambrioso said:

I just put an order on E-bay for one of the Spitfire 5V from Halsenki. I will use your post as a guide. 

As popeye has pointed out, Dan passed away last year, but he was indeed a master of the card medium. As a card modeler myself, and having had mixed results with Halinski (all down to my abilities, not to any faults with the kits) I cannot stress enough: DO NOT start card modeling with a Halinski kit! Halinski are the 'gold standard' of card modeling, and their kits have a well-deserved reputation for detail and realism. But that detail and realism comes at a price -- Halinski kits are probably the most challenging kits on the market to assemble. When your Mk V kit arrives (which I also own a copy of), you will be dumbstruck when you see the number of parts in the kit, especially small parts. I would advise anyone starting out in card modeling to start simple -- there is a multitude of new skills to be learned, e.g. scoring, cutting, folding, rolling, etc. You don't even need to necessarily start with aircraft; the same skills are used for ships, architecture, etc. Spend some time looking around and you can even find plenty of free models (from reputable sources, of course) to build, allowing you to booger as many attempts as needed to get your skills down pat (we have a tutorial based on one such kit in our card modeling section). Then, you can try one or two models from publishers whose offerings are still nice but less complicated, e.g. Kartonowa Kolekcja.

Have some fun looking around at vendor websites to get an idea of what's available in card. A few of my favorites are:

Paper Shipwright

WAK

Orlik

GPM

Have fun!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Dan:

After I read your post I went and ordered a kit. Today it arrived. It is The Kartonomy Arsenal Spitfire Vb Trop. I assume that the "trop" indicates the tropical version of the Spitfire that fought in Africa. This model can be distinguished by the blunt air filter on the nose and the kaki camouflage paint. I think that this looses a little of the beauty of the Spitfire" slick nose but, I will go along with it.

I am at awe. I have have built Spitfire models in 1/72 scale and I figured the 1/33 would be much larger. Well, it is larger but the details are microscopic. I see myself buying a new set of pincers and really sharp scalpel blades. I am still working on my Fifie but I will definitely try to start this beauty. As soon as I do, I will start a build post. I will be following your methodology because this is my first card model

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

Sorry about my last post. I didn't realize that Dan had passed away. My condolences. 

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

Just read you reply to me Chris and I will take you advise. Sorry about the confusion on my posting but I went directly to tell Dan about my purchase. Should have read yours first. Thanks for the advise. Wilco

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds: