Dan Vadas

WWII Mk. IX Spitfire - Halinski - 1:33 scale - Card - FINISHED

The completed tail-wheel which will be left off until later :

IMG_5745.JPG

The two wing-mounted bombs and their mounts, another couple of day's work :

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

The two "propellors" are rather small and almost invisible when fitted, but why not :D :

IMG_5749.JPG

The mounts fitted. A few wire braces to be made and fitted :

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

One of the bombs fitted :

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

Danny

I also didn't know about the pre-molded canopy when I ordered the kit, so everything is made from 0.25mm acetate. Gluing this stuff is almost impossible without the right glue. Fortunately Loctite make one that actually works :) . It comes with an activator which must be applied before the super-glue :

IMG_5757.JPG

To shape the curved parts I clamped them to some scrap timber and used my heat gun on low setting to CAREFULLY bend them permanently. A couple of goes were needed before I found the right amount of heat without melting the pieces :

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

The canopy frames have an inside and an outside. The Loctite glue worked well, but a lot of care was needed to align the pieces properly. The excess was trimmed off after the glue dried :

IMG_5758.JPG

The windscreen :

IMG_5755.JPG

Before fitting the screen I had to fit the bomb-sight :

IMG_5759.JPG

All done :

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

Danny

After fitting the small details the model is FINISHED :D . It was a very enjoyable kit to build, and I'm going to make the Merlin engine next as a "stand-alone" build to be displayed alongside the plane :

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5763.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Danny

It's amazing what skill and patience can do, starting with what is obviously a well-designed and made pile of sheets of cardboard.

Very well done indeed. An inspiring example. 

Taken together with Doris's wonderful card ship models, it is a continuing amazement what 3D masterpieces can be produced with a raw material which is, essentially, only two-dimensional.

Great work Dan!

11 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Nice work Danny. One comment maybe. On the first page of the thread, a lot of pics dont show. Would you be able to reupload them so i too can admire?

They are all OK on my computer Pav. Perhaps you have a problem with your computer's Operating System. Sometimes if your Internet connection is running a bit slow it can take some time to load the pics and they only come up as the link to them at first.

Does anyone else have a problem seeing all the pics?

Danny

Thanks a lot, Danny, for the meticulous log showing the individual steps and methods. I also appreciate your noting the time it took for several of the steps. In all a real help to others, as well as a good reminder of the attraction and skills held by card modelling which differ so much from those of wood modelling. I find I have to have a very different mindset when approaching card modelling and your log demonstrates perfectly that mindset.

Tony

I see all the pictures as well.........apparently I wasn't getting the notifications that you were posting though.   I've been in the forum for a while now....all the logs that I've been following have been highlighted..........but not this one :(    don't mind my other question.....after seeing the engine compartment,  there's no way you'd be able to do it.  I shouldn't speak too loudly......knowing your level of experience,  you'd probably figure a way to do it  ;) 

wonderful model.......the level of detail is through the roof!   your truly a master of card  :) 

No missing pictures here either, but like Denis and Jan I had no idea it was being built as no updates showed up until today when the entire build appeared out of nowhere as finished!

I have no experience with card models but this one looks very clean without some of the squared off edges so many card kits seem to have. I am pretty much certain that is as much a result of the skill used in building it as in the model design.  Great work Dan