Henke

HMS Agamemnon by Henke - Caldercraft - 1:64

Hello Henrik, Great work so far. You have been helping me a great deal over the past few weeks, whether you know it or not. I've now caught up with you and we appear to be almost at exactly the same stage in construction. I've just begun the 2nd planking myself.

I look forward to continue watching your progress and learning.

Regards,

Trent

First of all thanks for all likes. Started second planking this weekend.

y4mfGpscdQn1BTMaVpi1l7_IU5qTT8ttpw7k7NhA

I use the method of planking from midship and outwards toward the bow and stern trying to be 2-3 rows of planks ahead at midship. By doing so I get a better feeling for the need for tapering towards bow and stern. All the work of getting av smooth surface from first planking is now paying dividend 🙂. Most the second planks are cut in 12 cm lengths which are glued with wood glue with two or three blobs of CA-glue. The only problem so far is a small tendency (very small) with a dimple just ahead of the first lower gun port.

Regards

Henrik

Looks good Henrik. I like the shorter planking, I should have done that on retrospect.

Can I ask how your are leaving the recommended 1mm border around the lower ports? I ran the planks over the openings and then cut to the inside dimensions and finally tried to cut in the 1mm by sight. Doesn't seem very accurate or neat though. 

Trent

Hi Trent,

I did same as you. I glued the main wale and cut out the affected gun port openings with a new and sharp blade. The result was ok. I have considered pre-cutting on the port side but I do not think the accuracy will be better. An off-set of two or three tenth of a mm will be seen on a 1 mm rim anyhow. You will be there with the scalpel anyhow risking damaging the lining of the gun ports ☹️. A steady hand and very sharp blade will do it 🙂.

The idea of cutting 12 cm planks was something that that was suggested to by ETNZ a couple of months ago. Thanks for the tip ETNZ.

Regards

Henrik

Hello my friends,

Started second planking four weeks ago and have now finished starboard side. It is the most comprehensive second planking I ever have done before but I did it. I have done some sanding today but I have decided to leave the final touches to when port side is done. I had some problems with a couple of gun ports but on the other side I am confident that port side will be much better as the builder now has more experience 🙂. Most of the planks are fixed with a combination of CA and wood resin glue. I have a feeling that wood glue is more reliable but CA has its advantages when planks are to be set in curved positions.

Looking at my pictures below make me realize that flaws which are barely visible to my eyes when I work on Aggy becomes very prominent with the Iphone camera. Is there a flaw filter I can use before publishing🙂? This makes me realize that when some of you, dear fellow builders, publish close up pictures without any apparent gaps, bumps and cracks, there are some very skilled builders at MSW. I lift my hat!

y4mSWd8OfmxPuCTA8v1w1gI1LJfK16tWNM-Mmduo

y4mbF6p4zxMIJ-wTZ81ki3c9HneEXxnM3jWj7GzM

y4mOpAkITRDxMBDRIJHbMcl6y0EgtnAoKV3W01Bg

Regards and stay safe

Henrik

Henrik, 

It's kind of funny, my sons' name Henrik and I his cousins are calling him Henke, even though that isn't his true first name.

Your "Aggy" is coming together nicely.

She's looking good Henrik; very nice work!  Great comment on how she looks with the naked eye vs. phone cameras.... I wince every time I look at my Vic because it looks like I have a lot more filling/sanding to do on the hull!