JMaitri

Flattie by JMaitri - FINISHED - Corel - 1:25

Thanks for dropping in and the compliment Cap'n Bob--btw, your yawl is looking great!

Richard, thanks for your kind words! I went around vs. through the bolt rope with small, tight stitches. My instructions are the same as yours (btw Mondfeld mentions the same in his "Historic Ship Models"; he also suggests using glue :) ); however, the line in my kit would have made doing it that way a total hash. The kit's line is basically a very coarse, two-strand wrap (looks great, though), so getting through it with a small needle without gurring the line and along with having it lay fair on the sail wouldn't have worked out well--I did a test on some scrap cloth. I suggest trying a test to see how it works and how it looks with the line you have; an additional consideration is that going through the line likely will be a more difficult and time consuming sewing job.

Jay

Line close up:

post-4129-0-16754800-1375138208_thumb.jpg

A little late to the party - but having viewed your work  - just wanted to say great job and that I enjoy your pics as well!   Look forward to following along !

Jay, great progress!!! The oars are fantastic and yes, it seems you have learned from past mistakes and put that knowledge to great use on this build! Keep up the great work....I hate to ask, but how bout a shot of the whole boat as she sits right now...I would like to see her total progress to date

Always room for one more, Gerty--folks aren't exactly beating down the door on my builds! lol--and thank you for your kind words! Just plugged into your Skipjack--she's great looking build!

Jay

Thanks for dropping in Robbyn and for your compliments--hey, your SF2 re-rig is looking wonderful! The morope and serving machine have really made a difference.

Oh, the mistakes are definitely there with this one too--am jist gettin' better at hidin' em an' wit takin' blurry pictures! :) Seriously, I'll shoot a full profile shot for you tomorrow--it hasn't changed a whole lot these past few weeks. Though once I hang the rudder, then she'll really take off with gettin' gussied up with paint, deck pieces, and etc.

Jay

Robbyn, here's the latest full-boat picture I promised last night. Not much has changed; however, by the time you're married and back from Sturgis, she'll likely be all gussied up with paint and fixin's. :)

post-4129-0-96129400-1375232907_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Gerty!

Some tools for doing the rudder arrived today, so I should be on track for having a few pictures ready by the time you're back, Robbyn! :)

Jay

Got the rudder hung this weekend--found some old-model Lindstrom jeweler's end cutters on eBay (got an amazing price for these! :) ) that worked great for making the pintle and gudgeon crimps.  It's a little off whack in the photo from being jostled from the painting I did.  

Hanging it was a bear though--still haven't yet found an easy process for doing this shipwright job--maybe they'll get easier or I'll get smarter at doing them going forward! ;)

post-4129-0-88628800-1375671791_thumb.jpg

Marking the waterline was tricky, on the plans the tip of the lower bow sits higher than the tip of the stern by an inch (in real dimensions, it's an incline of just over 2 feet).  While Chapelle shows this difference as well, his "American Small Sailing Craft" plans were too tiny for me to see what this measurement ran.

Here's the mask job when I was shooting the right wale, bulwark, and etc.

post-4129-0-22187500-1375671791_thumb.jpg

Here's how she's looking with a little paint.  Still have a fair amount of touchup and cleanup work to do but am waiting until the paint has had more time to set before I do that work--esp. since I'll be taping off parts of the hull to touch up the waterline.

Seeing the paint on a build is one of my favorite parts of the process--for me, the boat takes on a whole new character!  :dancetl6:

post-4129-0-55478200-1375671791_thumb.jpg 

The rudder and the waterline paint job look good. Nice work.

I am thankful that our local rudder assemblies were not near that complex. :)

Russ

Thanks for dropping in and your kind words, Russ. Sounds like Biloxi builders were a lot wiser with their rudder assemblies than their Yankee counterparts! ;)

Hey while I'm thinking of it, I saw that Euromodels is using your tutorial on ship lines--not sure if you knew or etc., but thought I'd mention it since they're a for-profit.

Jay

First couple of shots are the raw metal work for the boat--still have some clean up and etc. to do with these.  The chain plates are folded brass strips--pretty much a PITA to make and get to look decent.  The oar locks will go in after I finish up with some more deck and hull work.  The 3-eyed mast band turned out really well.  I originally bought a cast one from Bluejacket about two months ago before I started hard soldering, but think mine looks much better. :)

Misc. metal work:

post-4129-0-74717300-1376280379_thumb.jpg

Mast bands:

post-4129-0-48862400-1376280380_thumb.jpg

Here's how she's lookin' now that she's all gussied up with most of her fixin's:

post-4129-0-64887600-1376280376_thumb.jpg

I only mildly blackened the brass horse so that it would have a more tarnished look:

post-4129-0-07805500-1376280379_thumb.jpg

At the horse ends are hard-soldered 22 gauge rings:

post-4129-0-12941600-1376280377_thumb.jpg

Note the pulley; it's a bit difficult to see:

post-4129-0-62034700-1376280377_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-10829800-1376280378_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-62932700-1376280378_thumb.jpg

Great timing on those pics Jay, just got home, and as promised the updates are here!!! She is still looking amazing! I can't wait to see more!

Nice paint job. The metal work looks very good as well.

Russ

Thanks Russ and Robbyn for dropping in and your kind words. :) Robbyn, congrats again on your nuptials--hope your time away was relaxing and lovely!

Ah, time to consider the next build... Was going to do a Mamoli cutter but nixed that--sent the kit back, too many faults with it, esp, the fittings (I think its artillery was plastic...).

Jay

Thanks for your kind comments and for popping in! So far, the metal work has come fairly easily for me, much of the rest, well let's just say there's lots of room for positive growth! ;). That's why I'm keeping to simpler builds while starting out--these have been great for getting a lot of errors out of the way and for learning the proverbial ropes.

I'm starting to get a good set of sea legs for going forward--I'll probably do one or two more simpler builds so that I get a feel for a couple more things like more complex rigging and masting and then who knows? :) I'll likely donate most of these first few builds to charity auctions we periodically have at work; I'll gift other builds to family and friends once I start more serious builds. :)

Jay

Just read through your log Jay. Great looking boat. I'm thinking of starting with a flattie as my first wooden model. Really neat to see yours take shape.

Thanks for dropping in and your kind words, Rfinn--most appreciated! If you decide to build the Corel Flattie, by all means give me a shout if you run into "stuff" during your build. At times the directions are pretty cryptic or want you to do things at a sequence that doesn't make sense. Also, the wood that came with my kit wasn't too great; now that I know about the Hobby Mill (link is on the 1st MSW forum page), I would have replaced a lot of it--something to consider if your kit wood is so-so.

Jay

Hi Anonymous, thanks for dropping in and a hearty laugh to start my morning; btw you're on the "list" lol :)

Here's how I'm envisioning the sails--pretty snappy, eh?

post-4129-0-56740000-1376569173.jpg

Jay

This update will be one of the last of the build!  :D

I wound up scrapping the kit's sails.  I was about 3/4 through sewing the bolt rope to the main sail when I noticed that the rope was laying on the sail very wonky--it looked like a roller coaster.  Turned out, that that sail edge had been sewn crooked in the factory.  It was not noticeable until I had sewn on the bolt rope--I followed the seam line and that was all she wrote.  When I put a straight edge to the sail, I saw that it was pretty bad... Long story short, I scrapped the sails!  

While Corel's line generally looks pretty decent, they used a mostly polyester blend of line for the kit.  While the line was easy to rig, it was a royal pain to make coils or etc.--way too stiff; particularly the small diameter stuff.  Lesson learned...won't be using that type of line ever again!!  :huh:

Anyway, here are a few shots of the rigging work: 

post-4129-0-55631200-1378175464_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-81803400-1378175463_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-23715500-1378175464_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-27584000-1378175465_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-88906200-1378175464_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-33882800-1378175466_thumb.jpg

The Byrnes saw also arrived--wow, what a lovely piece of kit; I now understand why everyone loves it!  :)

post-4129-0-32773000-1378176809_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-68925800-1378176809_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-04519800-1378176810_thumb.jpg

I did some "getting to know you" work with the saw by making a simple stand for the Flattie.  I experimented with a pack of Brazilian cherry wood pen turning blanks until I came up with a setup that I liked.  BTW, I bought a pack of 5 blanks at Woodcraft for about $5; nice price and very lovely wood (Woodcraft offers a nice variety of exotic wood blanks at fairly reasonable prices--the pieces are about 5" x 3/4" x 3/4").

Couldn't make these cuts without the saw:

post-4129-0-41283600-1378176810_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-77523400-1378176810_thumb.jpg

And now for the final phase of the build:  She's done!  :dancetl6:

Thanks Russ and Robbyn and everyone else who followed along as well as those who popped in from time to time--most appreciated!  ;):)  I'll post some good gallery shots in about a week or so (I'll take some decent pictures the next time my sister has our joint photo equipment setup for a shoot).  

Here's how she's lookin' now that she's finished:

post-4129-0-41134900-1378177357_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-97690800-1378177355_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-54558900-1378177358_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-91520500-1378177359_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, Russ for your kind words and for following along--both are very much appreciated! And the next build begins! :)

Jay

Thanks so much for following the build, Bob--it was great having you aboard--and thanks for your kind comments!  :)

Jay