Reale De France by 72Nova - FINISHED - Heller

Michael - I’m noticing on these large, single sheave blocks, at the bow, that you have even seemed to represent the sheave pin/axle.  What is happening there?  Do you use a darker brown shade of very fine point marker to make a small dot for the axle? 

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Hi Marc,

I use a 0.49mm drill bit to create a small crater so to speak, using thinned black acrylic with a fine brush I just dab the area and the paint flows in to simulate the axle, whats nice about the paint if I apply too much I can simply wipe it off with my finger and redo without messing up the rest of the painted block.

Michael D.

A interesting video indeed, but what puzzles me is just about every built model I see displays them in similar fashion, Bjorn Landstrom shows them in this configuration also in the book The Ship. Maybe the Corel builders of this model can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their instructions show a similar setup?. Definitely food for thought and thanks for sharing that link Gerard.

Michael D

Hello,

You may not know it, but I am the author of the monograph "La Fleur de Lis", a work that required more than 15 years of in-depth studies on the world of Mediterranean galleys and mainly those of the French king Louis XIV.

What is represented in this video is not a scenario intended to entertain Internet users, but everything you see is the conclusion of a multitude of research and reading of period documents, manuscripts, drawings and engravings by authors contemporary with the galleys. These documents are an undeniable source of knowledge about their construction and use. This video was shown at the Musée de la Marine in Paris and was unanimously approved by my few fellow researchers who have worked on galleys (which are unfortunately becoming increasingly rare).

I am not familiar with the books by B.Landström, as I only use period sources, but if this gentleman indicates the position of the anchors in this way for Mediterranean galleys , he is deeply mistaken. This error comes from the restoration of museum models which are mostly worked on by people who do not have the culture of galleys and in particular the model of La Réale in the Paris Museum which, by the way, is not a real Réale, just count the benches. I could talk to you about the history of this model, which is highly debatable but widely used as a reference by kit manufacturers.

From a purely technical point of view, the small davit is not strong enough to lift the anchor and its orientation is not aligned with the galley slaves who perform the manoeuvre. This manoeuvre is perfectly described in an article by the "comite" Masse in his manuscript treatise on galleys (# 1695). On the other hand, it is nailed to a platform that is of such light construction that it would not withstand the pull of the anchor, which weighs nearly 2000 pounds on a large galley like a Réale.

I am not sure that a commercial model ship company like Corel is a reliable reference, they rely on existing publications with the risk of coming across incorrect information.

Regards,

Gérard Delacroix

Edited by G. Delacroix
Precisions

Hello Michael and Gerard,

Gerard,

Thank you for your detailed explanation above. As you are aware, I purchased your wonderful monograph and have been taking bits of information from the monograph to try and make my Reale de France more interesting. At my current skill level, I still have to rely on the Corel plans in order to make sure I don't "get in over my head". Every time I look at the monograph I discover many new pieces of information that I missed before. Thank you for your effort!

Michael,

The photo below is from the Corel plans that I have. It shows the anchors similar to your layout. 

I will try to position my anchors, when I reach that stage in the build, more towards the way the video by Gerard shows them to be.

I think you are doing a fantastic job on your model, especially with the rigging, and I hope to learn a lot from your log when I reach that point!

IMG_1039.thumb.jpeg.feac43340c06049c5968590ec25078be.jpeg

Best,

Frank

Dear Gerard,

I appreciate your constructive criticism/input and does make sense from an engineering stand point. Ironically one of our esteemed members Heinrich der Seefahrer provided a link in an earlier post regarding a build based on your monograph that provided me with a clearer incite on some of the rigging that I applied to my build, but somehow missed this anchor fiasco.

Your time and efforts researching this subject is invaluable and I say that out of total respect, thank you.

Frank,

Thanks for the kind remarks friend and likewise on your wonderful build, looking forward on your progress.

Now I've redone the anchors and this is what I've come up with, a compromise so to speak without doing a lot of reconfiguring and paint touch up.

Michael D.

20210520_200722.jpg

I started modifying the kit supplied oars, well 1 oar as this took me around 2 hours to complete and I decided to leave them natural, I'm quite pleased with the improved look  and I still need to add the estrope.

Michael D.

20210523_175810.jpg

20210523_180148.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I started back to work on the Ole Reale De France after a nine- month hiatus, using the supplied Heller paper flags as a pattern to be transferred to fabric, these can be seen in post #167, I eliminated about half the Fleur De Lis and the stripes that ran between them as the flag was looking more gold than red on my first attempt. I've completed all the railing flags and the large and small pennant flags along with the tassels on the main yard and continued modifications to the endless oars. Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20220212-141254-HDR.jpg

20220212-141551.jpg

20220212-141357.jpg

Edited by safemaster

20 hours ago, safemaster said:

I started back to work on the Ole Reale De France after a nine- month hiatus, using the supplied Heller paper flags as a pattern to be transferred to fabric, these can be seen in post #167, I eliminated about half the Fleur De Lis and the stripes that ran between them as the flag was looking more gold than red on my first attempt. I've completed all the railing flags and the large and small pennant flags along with the tassels on the main yard and continued modifications to the endless oars. Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20220212-141254-HDR.jpg

20220212-141551.jpg

20220212-141357.jpg

Welcome Back!

The tassels look real nice! Did they come with your kit or did you make them? My Corel plans call for them, but they were not included in my kit!!

Thanks,

Frank

Dear Michael!

Your work is just fantastic !!! I love it!

I would like you to successfully finish the manufacture of oars and hope you will soon show us the full model!
  All the best! Kirill

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. Frank I did have make them following Hellers instructions, I used 0.50mm taped to a dowel, in this case my xacto knife and wrapped the 0.25mm line around it about 20 times then cinched the 0.50 mm line before cutting the smaller line on the opposite side.

20220214-153145.jpg

20220214-153238.jpg

I cinched the smaller line to the tassels with a simple overhand knot and twisted it with my fingers to form the seizing, trimmed and some paint touchup.

20220214-154911.jpg

20220214-155215.jpg

The completed stern flag.

20220214_175228.thumb.jpg.e40ce06c6395fcfc89e4257492ca9251.jpg

Michael D.

Taking a much-needed break from the flag and oar modification, I decided to tackle installing the rudder chain using a single chain arrangement, looks okay.

Michael D.

20220218-204539.jpg20220218-202402.jpg

On 2/19/2022 at 12:48 AM, safemaster said:

Taking a much-needed break from the flag and oar modification, I decided to tackle installing the rudder chain using a single chain arrangement, looks okay.

Michael D.

20220218-204539.jpg20220218-202402.jpg

Nice job with a tight fit! 

I've hit and dislodged my rudder too many times. Wish I had waited to add it later. :)

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

All 40 flags and associated tassels are now completed along with the fire pit base. Work continues at a snail's pace on the oars and although I only have 7 fully completed with the estropes installed and bearded to the benches, I'm starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for looking.

Michael D

20220307-150217.jpg

20220307-150459.jpg

20220307-150703.jpg

Thank you Frank. Well somewhat of a crowning moment in that the portside oars are completed along with the fire pit, I used some aged redwood bark that I had painted lightly with a light grey and sprinkled some flour over the top then sealed with a flat clear.  I also added the portside canopy tassels and swivel guns to complete the portside of the Galley. 

Michael D.

20220312-112132.jpg

20220312-112319-HDR.jpg

20220312-112248.jpg

Amazing work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 6 months later...

Thank you Phil. Well the ole Reale De France is done, I completed the starboard oars and all in all I think the galley came out okay, as with all these builds and I know many will concur that there's always something you know you wished/could've done better after it's finished and this build was no exception. Thanks to all who took the time just to look or make comments...much appreciated!.

Michael D.

20220921-194721.jpg

20220921-192537.jpg

20220921-194628.jpg

Edited by 72Nova