Reale De France by 72Nova - FINISHED - Heller

Great question Marc as I wondered about this myself and Kirill's explanation seems valid, but maybe some kind of lift/tackle  system was used?, or they just shimmied up the ropes. Here's and interesting model and the first I've seen with ratlines. I just love the look of this model.

Michael D.

fc2fc3c95688c671559cc0f3c9aad327.jpg

Edited by safemaster

I saw somewhere exat information in great difference in rigging latin sails and square sails/// as I remember - in latin rigging , ratlines on mast shrouds not an option at all due to specific of latin sails operation\special in case of galley sails!

May be there is Jacob ladder is an option?

You coud see how galley shrouds fitted - there are no deadyeys? but tackles and toggles...

0062.jpg

requin063.jpg

Edited by kirill4

For what it’s worth, though, the mizzen mast of square riggers, right up to the mid 18-hundreds, carried a lateen sail, and the mast was rigged for shrouds and ratlines.  Mind you - I’m not disagreeing with you.  It’s just a curious thing.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Clearly there's a rope ladder in the last pictures Kirill posted, but looks like a later period galley?. The bunt line rigging is completed and brought down to an eyebolt in the deck at the base of the mast, also I had to redo the tackle for the stay, now it's setup similar to a breast backstay purchase.

Michael D.

20210318_190543.jpg

20210318_190611.jpg

LOOKS VERY GOOD!

And on this pictures colors of the ropes looks more realistic/ natural hemp...

MARC,

Agree-

curious thing!

Need to do some acrobatic to reach backet on the top:)))

Or they could use jacob ladder as an option... but never saw some kind of ladder or ratlines on the contemporary galley pictures :(

I addressed an area in the middle deck that's been annoying me for a while, the Heller deck section stops far too short and leaves a void so I fabricated 2 sections cover the area, I still need to fashion some handles as these would need to be removable to access the tackle..all in all it's looks ok.

Michael D.

20210319_162301.jpg

20210319_165002.jpg

20210319_170059.jpg

20210319_174229.jpg

Thank you Frank. A crowning moment in finishing up the main shrouds and lanyards and started the bowline along with temporary lines and weights on the vangs to somewhat stabilize the yard while I rigged the braces, a single block stropped and tied to an eye bolt in the deck, the line is tied to the bight of the strop and lead through the double block and will be tied to the chain, I still need to add the tackle at the end of the yard and complete the tackle for the vangs before finishing up the braces.

Michael D.

20210322_041225.jpg

I figured it was a good time to work on the davits and started the modifications by eliminating the diagonal support and adding misc styrene on the underside of the rail to create a tapering effect and modifying the front support, a steel rod will replace the support, the picture should show the work in progress modified version vs the kit version. A mock revealed the davits follow the same angle as the benches which surprised me as one would think they'd be perpendicular to the rails, but in this case the stanchion is in the way and since I already have the port side railings installed I'm okay with this.

The other thing I wanted to check is the clearance between the sheet line and boat and looks like I have plenty. Back to the ship yard.

Michael D.

20210323_172034[1].jpg

20210323_171550[1].jpg

Beautiful work as always.

On the issue earlier on the ratlines or other access to the mast heads, I was reading in the book, Historic Ship Models, by Wolfram zu Mondfeld that prior to the 17th century, and later depending upon the type of ship, ratlines were not common use. Instead, a narrow rope ladder was hung from the mast head and let fall along the mast for sailors to climb. It could be easily swung clear of masts and sails for both square and lateen rigged sails. If you are looking for an interesting detail to add, this might be one that would be simple enough. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thank for the compliment EJ. I pondered a couple of theories and both consisting of some kind of tackle to hoist the individual or ladder up to the mast head and put away when not in use.

Michael D.

`Not much of an update, but yet another crowning moment in finishing up the railings and continued work on the davits. With this build nearing it's end...many months from now...I've been gearing up for the Airfix Vasa buying blocks, books Etc.

Michael D.

20210330_161817.jpg

20210330_161857.jpg

OH YES!!!

Marc, Agree with You!!! :)))

Michael,

Davits color made such different from othe wooden elements, in purpose?

When buing blocks for Vasa... there is not so big choice as I know... triangle deadeyes not exist in this scale...smallest block size - 2 mm could be found only ...which is not sufficient to rig model in this scale...

The only way I could see - made them itself , as option epoxy casting using own master models?..?

Thank you gentlemen. You're right about the blocks Kirill, I'm confident the 2mm - 3mm blocks will suffice for deck, lower course maybe top mast rigging, but for everything higher up and spritsail area I will need to fabricate my own blocks/hearts. Regarding the Reale I read when the sails are furled in war time the yards are made safe to the mast with chain, would you have any illustrations of this in your vast library Kirill?.

Michael D.

Here is a link to Rex Stewart’s Vasa build:

It is difficult to see what his blocks are like for the upper rigging, on my phone, but maybe you can sufficiently enlarge these images on a desktop.  Anyway, I think his scale of blocks looks very convincing.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thanks for that link Marc, that model looks wonderful,  what I find interesting though with all the modifications is it appears the railings were left untouched as they do no represent the railings on the ship and museum model, also the addition of the ladders on each side for which the ship and model lack. I doubt I will be making new masts and yards unless they are so grossly off. Unfortunately scale decks does not offer wood decks for this kit, but my hopes are high after speaking with John as they would like too, I need to email him with some info.

Michael D.

17 hours ago, safemaster said:

Thank you gentlemen. You're right about the blocks Kirill, I'm confident the 2mm - 3mm blocks will suffice for deck, lower course maybe top mast rigging, but for everything higher up and spritsail area I will need to fabricate my own blocks/hearts. Regarding the Reale I read when the sails are furled in war time the yards are made safe to the mast with chain, would you have any illustrations of this in your vast library Kirill?.

Michael D.

Good day Michael,

Agree, blocks for the lover yards - sails ,we could be found on the market...

remains question - blocks for the upper sails ...

For that purpose , maybe conventional size of 2.0 mm blocks from the marked could be "adjusted "... ?

I saw somebody trimming blocks in the small tin with sand paper plated inside ... fiited on the hand drill and slowly rotating while blocks jumping inside and "machining" .. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't find pictures with action "chain"  for the galley ...but this additional ,"action" chain slingds were well known in the past - in the Landstrem book "Vasa" You could see illustration of" Tre Croner" - in description of the rigging, He mentioned chain sling for the lower yards which clearly could be seen on the picture...

Edited by kirill4

I completed the furling of the Fore sail, have the parrels in place, up next will be rigging the lifts/tackle, the tackle for the parrels and then the shrouds, she's starting take shape.

Michael D.

20210403_094451.jpg

20210403_094726.jpg

20210403_095035.jpg

Good day Michael?

She looks very nice!!! :)))

Good luck with other rigging!

All the best!

Kirill

Thank you Kirill, I'll need it. I have the lifts for the fore yard completed, however made one mistake that I did not notice until after the lift ropes were tied and seized, I made a single block instead of a double....arrrrgggg!!, I contemplated redoing it, but the extra effort would be negotiable in appearance so I proceeded and made it look like a long tackle block and actually looks fine. The tackle lines are tied to rope on the fake tackle block and are led through a 4 sheave block and belayed to cleats in the middle deck aft of the main mast.

Michael D.

20210404_190529_HDR.jpg

20210405_085813.jpg

20210405_092554.jpg

Edited by safemaster