Hobby saw with larger table top

More questions have come to mind Jim.

1. I have access to a tilt table for the saw from a group member. How does that work with the larger table design?

2. I would be asking you to incorporate the micrometer fence adjust. Does either the tilt table or the larger table present any problems with this addition?

Joe

7 hours ago, jimbyr said:

Richard

2 days and it's back on it's way to you.  Are you sending the whole saw or just the table assembly

Jim

Hi Jim,

Going to send just the table assembly or maybe 🤔 I should send the whole saw back with the new switch which will be here tomorrow and if possible you could machine the hole in the front for the switch what do you think? 

Would you still have to go through NFTA because that adds another $100 plus dollars?

Best regards

Richard

On 6/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, jimbyr said:

Richard

NAFTA expires in a few days.  They have a new system replacing it.  I have no clue as to what it will be like or the cost on your end.  But,  if you want to send the whole saw back I'll update it

Jim

Hi Jim will be sending the whole saw back to you for an update in the next couple of days😁👍 thanks a lot.

Received the slide plate and other goodies today looks excellent and will try it out once I get saw back.

Best regards Jim

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my new larger saw table top from Jim Byrnes Model Machines and I have to say that it is big and beautiful. Should I be surprised by what his shop turns out. Not really but what I got back exceeded my expectations. It is a brand new top! I somehow had imagined that sending my smaller table top in would set off a remanufacturing process whereby the added width was achieved by adding wings. Not sure how I got that into my head guess it was from my woodworking shop table saw mentality. I did add the micrometer fence adjust while it was in the shop  as I gave up on my linear digital scale system that I installed earlier. It just wasn't that repeatable.

Goodbye to frequent fence removals to cut larger stock! It is so worth the extra cost to me.

Joe

Just a brief update on re installment of the larger table top. I had left the saw for a few days w/o installing the saw blade. When I put it back on and was checking the travel I found it would not elevate as hisgh as before. The problem was the lead screw controlling the arbor lift was hitting the arbor arm cross plate preventing further travel. It turns out that the coupling to the front lift wheel was not seated back quite far enough on the shaft. I thought it was positioned correctly but I learned on this attempt that the coupling was hung up on the shaft. There is no specification on its positioning but with about 1/16 inch clearnce between coupling collar and wheel collar all should work as before.

Joe