Good Day

I ordered HMS Naiad Vol 1 from Seawatch books and until today I have heard nothing from them concerning my order. I have sent a mail to the address given on their website, nothing.

Is there another way of contacting them?

Thank you

Andre

Send a PM to Bobcat.  He's the head guy and frequents MSW. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...

A message for Bob Friedman.

Hello.

I have not received the book I ordered (The Rogers Collection of Dockyard Models third rates VOLUME 2)

It has now been over 2 months since you mailed it and I am getting quite concerned.

I have sent numerus emails but no response.

Please reply, and give tracking details.

Best Regards

Bryan Jones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, jonesbry said:

A message for Bob Friedman.

Hello.

I have not received the book I ordered (The Rogers Collection of Dockyard Models third rates VOLUME 2)

It has now been over 2 months since you mailed it and I am getting quite concerned.

I have sent numerus emails but no response.

Please reply, and give tracking details.

Best Regards

Bryan Jones.

A message to Bob Friedman.

Hello.

Today I at last received your book (The Rogers Collection of Dockyard Models third rates VOLUME 2)

Thank you.

I highly recommend this superb researched and presented book.

One can only admire the dedication of these ship modellers who went to the trouble to detailing stairways, carved balustrades, capstan cables down in the bowls of these models were the could not be seen for 350 years, until  the latest miniature fibre optics and CT scanners were developed.

Best Regards

Bryan Jones.

In the interests of balance, my personal experience of ordering from Seawatch Books has been excellent, from ordering through to the receipt of a book. If a book is in print, I've always received a prompt response every time following the placement and payment of an order.

I do not order books until they are in print. The reason is nothing to do with Seawatch, but because, as they often make clear on their website, they are waiting on authors to deliver before they can start the production process (a frustrating example being Volume Two of The Rogers Collection of Dockyard Models). These delays obviously impact on planned publication dates, so it's always best to wait until Seawatch confirm, via their website, that a book is available.

Anyway, it's good that Bryan received his copy of the aforementioned book as I'm sure he's as delighted with it as I have been!

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

• 2 months later...

Hi all, before I post more widely I wish to do due diligence and survey members as to whether they are aware of any issues at SeaWatch Books?  I am experiencing a delivery issue from them and I have had no response to several emails to them for near on three weeks now?  Their web site does not advise of any closure etc.  I know they are a small concern, and may be busy, but the failure to read/respond to emails for this long cannot be excused unless there is an underlying problem causing it.

regards

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It was announced some time ago that the owner, Bob Friedmann, has had some significant health issues. This is the most likely reason for delay in deliveries. I hope that he is continuing to recover and that folk will have some patience. He has been a stalwart in supporting the ship modelling and research community as well as his authors for many years.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread. Had the same problem this week. I tried to order the first of the swan series. The order appeared to go through fine, but no confirmation email and no credit card charge. I also sent a follow up email to check the order status. No reply. It’s scary to send ones credit card info into a black hole like this. I think MSW members should be cautious with Seawatch books.

Again, I should mention that Mr. Friedman has had recent health issues, so please be patient with him! It is a small business catering to the ship model community, not a large publishing house.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening;

Does anyone know how things are going. I ordered a couple of books and have had no confirmation email or anything. The payment has been processed, so someone is presumably still watching the orders come in. Just an order acknowledgement would be a tremendous comfort. 

If health problems are still an issue, then it would be considerate towards the purchasers if a notice was put on the website announcing that there is no cause for concern, orders are being processed, even if one does not hear anything. That cannot be too hard to organise, surely.

Overall, it's a great shame, because they publish some wonderful books and I want to carry on buying when I can afford some more. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi Mark. I've ordered many books from Seawatch and never got a confirmation email. That said, I've always received my orders so no need to worry.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 1 month later...

I hope his situation improves and isn’t a reoccurring thing. This reminded me that I have been considering getting a book or two from there. Every time I take a look I get overwhelmed as everything seems interesting. 

This from the News page of their website... https://www.seawatchbooks.com/NewsForthcomingBooks.htm

Summer 2020
It's been a wild first half of 2020. I've had 4 hospitalizations in the past year and am currently recuperating from some major surgery. Being an "old" sailor can be challenging!!
On the good news front, Speedwell II is in the warehouse and available. This completes the series on this ship.
On the not so good side, Rogers III will not see the light of day. With the book almost completed, the author quit, and I have nothing to publish. It is too bad because many people were looking forward to it.
With the pandemic going on and the need to stay isolated, it is a great time to read books on ships and to work on models. Keep at it and stay safe.

Richard

2 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

Rogers III will not see the light of day

This is really unfortunate as I was definitely looking forward to it as I am much interested in the 4th, 5th and 6th rates. Maybe with some community support the author will see how much we love the first 2 volumes

• 3 months later...

i ordered the hayling hoy book from sea watch books and although it took over a month to arrive , it did finally arrive , so about 6 weeks to 2 months ago i ordered the first 2 volumes of the swan class ships , money went out of the account but i didn't get a confirmation , but it was the same for the first book .

i emailed about 4 weeks ago and got a reply about a week later saying that , yes they had received the order and that they had been sent out, as of today i have emailed a further 3 times  and not had a reply and the books havent arrived either . do i continue to wait ? 

Not trying to be curt, but this topic has come up multiple times in recent months. A quick search using the keyword "seawatch" turns up this list of topics. Please have a read through them.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Good to know as I just ordered a book from them. Card charged so I’ll just hurry up and wait now.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I have received several books. True, the order is not confirmed and emails are answered after delay, but the product is worth waiting for. Patience.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Anthony (and everyone else); SeaWatch is a small 'mom and pop' show. They have punched way over their weight for many years. The owner has had serious health problems, however everyone gets their books eventually. Please have some understanding and patience with them.

Also the USPS has, as you may know, some issues lately as well!

49 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

I ordered mine on the 5th and still nothing☹️

I placed an order on October 12 that I haven't received. So I'm ahead of you 😃

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard