I just received my copy of Ab Hoving's Message in a Model, his book about the ship model collection at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, from Seawatch. It took about two weeks, which was more than reasonable for USPS "Media Mail" (the cheap rate.) I really don't find that any imposition at all. Sure, Amazon can get you bestsellers in 48 hours, but for a price. 

Here's Chuck Passaro's review of Ab's book, by the way. 

I've only begun to page through it and it's spectacular! It's really going to be a great read and the color photographs on every page throughout are beautiful. I'd urge anybody to get a copy. (They're on sale now at a great savings over the price at the time of first release.)  have only one caveat to readers "of a certain age:" When you order a copy, expect to need a pair of "cheaters" (reading glasses) or a magnifying glass. The print is rather small. On the plus side, there's more to read on each page, so it's a great value if you figure it "by the word!" :D 

17 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I doubt if Bob has much control over how his books are shipped.  I suspect that he provides whoever warehouses his books with the buyers shipping information and they take it from there.

Roger

He does.

If you would like the phone number of his warehouse/shipping depot PM me. The ladies there are very helpful and will give you info and a tracking number.

Dave.:dancetl6:

• 4 months later...

I recently ordered a number of books by David Antscherl from Seawatch.  When I got to the stage in the ordering process to "push the button" and place the order, it didn't appear that the transaction went through.  I tried a number of times with the same apparent result.  The next day, via e-mail, Seawatch contacted me and inquired about the multiple, identical orders I had placed.  It turned out that each attempt at ordering had been successful, resulting in an enormous bill!  On my behalf, Seawatch went to work immediately, straightened things out with my credit-card company and I received my order today, one week after placing the order. 

• 3 months later...

To allow a secure https connection, a website has a certificate issued by a 3rd party. This has expired and so the browser is warning you that it cannot make a secure connection which is a risk. You should be able to proceed to the site, look for the advanced link. Whether you want to place an order is up to you. You could also contact them by email. I assume they use a web hosting company to manage their site and they may not be aware of the problem.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

15 hours ago, RichardG said:

Para permitir una conexión https segura, un sitio web tiene un certificado emitido por un tercero. Esto ha expirado y, por lo tanto, el navegador le advierte que no puede establecer una conexión segura, lo cual es un riesgo. Debería poder acceder al sitio, busque el enlace avanzado. Si desea realizar un pedido, depende de usted. También puede contactarlos por correo electrónico. Supongo que utilizan una empresa de alojamiento web para administrar su sitio y es posible que no se den cuenta del problema.

Hello, thank you very much for answering

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

It says: “

This site is temporarily closed pending the possible sale of the company. More news should be available soon. Thank you very much for your patronage and your patience. Check back on this site in January.

-- Cathy and Bob

6 minutes ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

It says: “

This site is temporarily closed pending the possible sale of the company. More news should be available soon. Thank you very much for your patronage and your patience. Check back on this site in January.

-- Cathy and Bob

OH Nooooo !!!! 

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

14 minutes ago, Jorge Diaz O said:

OH Nooooo !!!! 

That's a good thing.  For awhile it looked like they were closing up completely due to Bob's health issues.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think SeaWatch Books started with the purchase of Pier Books.  Pier Books was mostly an agent for other publishers, I think.   It was before the Internet, so their inventory was not available for viewing ad lib.   SeaWatch Books turned into a publisher,  finding authors and producing new titles that have proven to be popular and beneficial in ship modeling.  We can only hope that someone friendly to our interests at least picks up the inventory.  Better would be if a new owner did additional runs of titles now out of print.   A fond wish would be if this theoretical new owner also picked up the publisher torch and using eyes with a new perspective, found new authors for as yet unexplored areas in stick and string.

For the whole planet, I wish for this current business school fad of excessive and instantaneous  profit as being the only factor that matters to experience a long deserved death and a burial at the back next to the garbage bins.  In any case, a potential buyer would have to possess a much more narrow streak of greed than is seen in most business now.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Keep fingers crossed, folks!

Mine are certainly crossed as I had envisioned picking up a few titles. Hope everything goes smoothly for them!

• 2 months later...

Nice!

Have two books on my wish-list 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi All -

It is true that SeaWatch will be reopening! I acquired the company from Bob and Cathy this week and I'm so excited to get it going. I'll do a broader announcement shortly, but I thought I'd post here initially given the focus of the thread. Note that I've read through all the comments here and the first thing I'm doing is moving the store to a true e-commerce platform. This should fix many of the fulfillment issues that were discussed. I hope to have the store open in a week or so. In the meantime, go to www.seawatchbooks.com to register for a 20% off code which will be usable as soon as we reopen.

I'm delighted to have the opportunity to keep SeaWatch going and I promise to continue to provide outstanding, beautiful, high-quality books and bring new titles to market!

Any questions, feel free to reach me at support@seawatchbooks.com.

More to come soon!

Mike

17 minutes ago, Sonofasonofasailor said:

I hope to have the store open in a week or so.

Congratulations! Looking forward to the reopening!

Congratulations and best wishes for a successful future.   I think many of us have had our fingers crossed about Seawatch and it's great that you've acquired the company.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations Mike.  Great to see the books will be available again.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hearty congratulations, Mike. May SeaWatchBooks continue to flourish! And congratulations to Bob for this transition. Your work in building SeaWatch for the past 20 years is much appreciated. We look forward to the next stage,

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you, Mike.  The loss of these books would have been a tragedy to the hobby.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

My day was going really well, and now it is over the top in good news.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU