F-8 Crusader by Captain Slog – FINISHED - Eduard - 1/48 - PLASTIC

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

I've never known Microsol to do much of anything useful, it's the acetic acid in Microset that makes the decals flexible to conform to underlying surface. 

My limited understanding of the two is that the Set is a mild softener as you say ( even smells like vinegar) but the Sol is more aggressive for difficult surfaces.  My experience is the Sol really softens the decal and it goes all wrinkly (leave well alone during this stage!) but when it dries it smooths back out and really sinks the decals into the panel lines and rivet details.  I haven't noticed this pronounced conformity using Set only. I think the solvaset is more aggressive again? but still feeling my way!    

13 minutes ago, Richmond said:

The micro clear coat forms part of microscale set from BNA

Thanks will have a look.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Solvaset is pretty strong, since I think it was developed by Champ Decals back in the day. Champ decals were pretty thick, so strong was good. The newer decals we use don't need the strength to settle down.

One tip if you get silvering under a decal it to let it dry completely, prick holes with a pin in the silvery area(s) and reapply some solution. Usually happens on wood boards on the lines between the boards, but it can happen on panel lines, too. As a last resort, slit the dry decal, but you risk seeing a line where you cut.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

has anyone ever tried decal set from Testor's?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi All,

Just a quick update.

Below is the resin wheels and disc brakes and the kit front undercarriage all cleaned up.  There is a supplied piece of PE to replace the kit A-Arm at the top but decided not to use it.

264159090_1Resin.thumb.JPG.60337dd37122d983dcf3d51c85132c21.JPG

Here is all the undercarriage parts and wheel well doors almost ready for prime.  I still have to clean up the filler used for some small ejection pin marks.  I will prime everything in 1500 surfacer.1398271382_2Undercarriage.thumb.JPG.0f1b8b318a6aed6318b38e34b48430de.JPG

I also did the decals on the port side and came out not to bad.  The problematic nose decal went down a lot better this time around as knew what to expect this time.  Still a couple of touch ups needed.  The nose decal is a different shape from the artwork so will need to extend the anti glare black from the canopy forward inline with the front of the red. 

I will need to also touch up with some red to meet the canopy black and will need to touch up with red on the underside where the decals meet but other than that pretty chuffed how it turned out.  That’s the decals complete other than a couple on each wheel.

2071999550_3PortDecals.thumb.JPG.12a8f7d8631486bc876bdbc4dd478ac6.JPG

Just a quick mock-up of the cockpit. The cockpit PE top trim can just be made out (not glued yet) and a couple of coloured PE side consoles attach to this.  Still got bits and pieces to add to the seat also.  The yellow ‘rubber’ seals are actually decals and went on pretty well to the front screen but the main canopy came in two halves and messed up slightly on the ‘practice’ side but know why and this side went on pretty good.

1794167133_4Mockup.thumb.JPG.aed7c58f2bac824774ec27e2ce32171d.JPG

Hopefully get some priming done before I head off again tomorrow night.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jeez. Kits have certainly evolved since the Airfix kits that I last built as a kid !!! Looking good, Slog ... real good.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

look'in great Slog.......super nice finish :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Back in Perth for a week and finished the Crusader off.

Last time back I managed to prime all the under carriage components and wheel well doors and now finished them up with colour coats and the last of the wheel decals and a couple of No stand stencils on the doors.

file1.thumb.jpeg.6e375db4afd5239888aa0b4afc6e93ed.jpeg

file2.thumb.jpeg.ef2cf2d4e12fdebb9a3ec8a739855e28.jpeg

Got to say the landing gear and wheels on these birds are pretty spindly compared to Phantoms and Hornets etc.

I forget about the resin wheel well door actuators to go with the resin wheel bay, which have a couple of arms to slot on to the doors. One of the brackets was broken off but found in the box and easily fixed with a drop of CA.  Shown being trial fitted before painting and gluing.

file3.thumb.jpeg.b00fc93a7d9360f7a0a5b69cdaae6c73.jpeg

Lastly a few bits and pieces of photo etch in and around the cockpit and the previously made HUD finishes it off.

file4.thumb.JPG.b7fdf04b7c2f73a5406f73ab419fc43c.JPG

It was gloss clear coated previously for the decals and this time wanted to finish it a satin but only had Tamiya Gloss and matt so tried mixing it 50:50 to see if that gives satin.

Finished

file5.thumb.JPG.0b3fac68c93f40b641d0e4c8ddb7585b.JPG

file6.thumb.JPG.3b34c1336589c2035d1f3a93fe4bcb18.JPG

file7.thumb.JPG.8d5f6755b876f452eab1edc1403e4d60.JPG

file8.thumb.JPG.f85ff37f74342ca659c9ae3631207d6a.JPG

file9.thumb.JPG.0143e939ca1a0d539b0e31f2fef1cf92.JPG

file10.thumb.JPG.2ebdcc8b6d9abbad7618c3ae07bddf88.JPG

last.thumb.JPG.0771036b93d723586cb1fb1b8b7c79e4.JPG

I did leave off a few little bits and pieces and had a big picture of weathering it in my head but ultimately bottled out as what I did wasn’t turning out how I envisaged and didn’t want to mess with it anymore.  However the photos don’t really capture the weathering/staining I did do very well.

It’s certainly not up to Plasmo or Scale-a-ton standards but considering it’s my first plastic build since my adolescent Airfix days I am pretty chuffed how it turned out.  It was great fun and learned lots of lessons for the next one.  Hope to get a few days on the Borodino before heading off again next weekend.

Cheers

Slog

Great job.

I wish I could get ANYTHING to look that good! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That came out awesome Slog!  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

excellent job!   came out really good..........you'll have to do more ;)   then you can try out some of your ideas.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks to all for the comments and likes, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

you'll have to do more ;)   then you can try out some of your ideas.

exactly, just need to practice, try out different techniques out and practice, practice practice...

I did break open the box and peruse through the contents of the next build again...

F-4B.thumb.JPG.dc95c8451d025a6b7bd241f3616b2176.JPG

but sensibilities kicked in! With only a couple more days before heading off again I am spending the time working on the rear decks of Borodino.

Cheers

Slog  

should be an interesting project when you get to it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love Phabulous Phantoms   cant beet a  Toom.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice, quarter inch scale Sundowners Phantom. They did some innovative work in the air to air arena, back in the 70s.  We USAF Phantom drivers copied a lot of their stuff. I'll be watching that build with great interest.

And a very nice job on the Fox 8, Slog. Only saw a few back when I was in SEA.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

48 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nice, quarter inch scale Sundowners Phantom. They did some innovative work in the air to air arena, back in the 70s.  We USAF Phantom drivers copied a lot of their stuff. I'll be watching that build with great interest.

And a very nice job on the Fox 8, Slog. Only saw a few back when I was in SEA.

I miss the  4 echo's,  fox's  and later golf's   we used to see over in the UK.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, we always went to RAF Alconbury. Easier to get to London, catching an HST at Huntington. Good times. ;)

Ken

10 minutes ago, Canute said:

OC, we always went to RAF Alconbury. Easier to get to London, catching an HST at Huntington. Good times. ;)

Indeed ken,  sorry for hijacking captains thred, but you can't not talk about one of the most famous planes in history.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.