RGL

DKM Graf Zeppelin by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350

Nice quick and "clean" build the patrol boat. Weathering looks good on it, despite it's small size!

Oh goody ... airplanes at 1:350 ... you are going to have a ball, or juggling to keep them in the air

I'm curious since you are about done with her, would this model be a decent candidate for Radio control conversion? Is there enough room for the motors, servos, batteries and would it float high enough in the water to keep from getting soaked?

mike 

57 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

I'm curious since you are about done with her, would this model be a decent candidate for Radio control conversion? Is there enough room for the motors, servos, batteries and would it float high enough in the water to keep from getting soaked?

mike 

This ship has a narrow beam compared to a US or Japanese carrier. Not sure how that might play into it's stability.

7 hours ago, RGL said:

I wanted to perhaps do a seaplane that would act as a recovery or guard plane like they have helicopters, but the only one I really liked is about $100USD for a 1/350 plane that is not with it, so a fast patrol boat it is. 

Whoever is trying to charge $100 USD  for a 1/350 model should probably receive a kind note that they might want to think about reviewing their pricing structures. lol

1 hour ago, knightyo said:

Whoever is trying to charge $100 USD  for a 1/350 model should probably receive a kind note that they might want to think about reviewing their pricing structures. lol

Maybe it is $25 US for the kit and $75 US for postage to ship it to OZ. ;)

2 hours ago, CDW said:

This ship has a narrow beam compared to a US or Japanese carrier. Not sure how that might play into it's stability.

The reason why I ask this, is the Tamiya 1/350 scale Bismarck actually comes with instructions on how to convert the Bismarck and Tirpitz to R/C with full instructional diagram and the battery tray built into the inside bottom of the hull. I have seen the above two mentioned kits converted to R/C on YouTube, but they are Tamiya 1/350 and not Trumpeter 1/350 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Greg, I have seen the Yamoto conversion and it worked quite well for a 1/350 scale ship, I have also seen some of the trumpeter kits converted to R/C, but the scale was always 1/200, which makes for a very large model. 

To me, anything under 24" or two feet for one of these ship models would be problematic just trying to stuff all the electronics in it and then getting it balance out right. Anything 28" or larger would work better.   

Edited by mtdoramike

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, cog said:

So what's stopping you 

Research, learning about plastic kits after not working on one in the last three decades, acquiring supplies, etc.  Amazon and eBay tell me I have a lot of goodies waiting for me when I get home from work.

Actually I’ll probably start this weekend (I’m building the Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350 with Hasegawa and Infini upgrades).  Not sure if I’ll do a build log as it might be littered with frustration and bad language. 😐

Edited by Landlubber Mike

19 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Research, learning about plastic kits after not working on one in the last three decades, acquiring supplies, etc.  Amazon and eBay tell me I have a lot of goodies waiting for me when I get home from work.

Actually I’ll probably start this weekend (I’m building the Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350 with Hasegawa and Infini upgrades).  Not sure if I’ll do a build log as it might be littered with frustration and bad language. 😐

You'll just have to do like all the rest of us and consider yourself a work in progress. You will learn new things, get more proficient, and better with time and practice. I never ever build a model I am totally satisfied with. I think in a way, that's a big part of what keeps me interested.

50 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Humour us. We'll read past the bad language ... I'll say it out loud, but it is not in the printed version ;)  By the way, a nice ship you have chosen

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey we love frustration and bad language, cut my teeth on the stuff.

Posted (edited)

Astonishing detail Greg; she sure will look the part with her planes added.  Have you thought of placing her in a diorama of sorts (painted background of sea horizon, sky, clouds and perhaps a plane or two flying around?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

People do more and more sea scapes now, and I think that even if perfected it, (the water that is) I would have to spend thousands on staffing the ship yet alone the space it would take. 

I’ve spent most of today doing up the air wings. The plans say to file off the cockpit and replace with PE, and it would require buying extra PE, and I’m not convinced I particularly like the look. 

As you you can see, the flight deck is going to be busy

72DC2598-03E1-43B8-83C1-D3D4239FB830.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Jan, there will be PE, but back to the paintbrush for the windows methinks. Bombs, torpedos, external fuel tanks, aerials and weathering. 

Edited by RGL