DKM Graf Zeppelin by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Just catching up after my month in the UK and it looks like you have been making some very nice progress Greg.  I'll look in a bit closer soon.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Back already Pat! That seems awfully quick. 

Working on the front and back decks, very lite details are on the kit, and the upgrade does not give much more. D676EC16-F031-4429-A81E-0588A148A73E.thumb.jpeg.30378ccc1b4fc5d5b3fabfd607fe84d9.jpeg54892268-FD9E-45D0-9332-D73B149634C2.thumb.jpeg.00e9fcb946835075a69b06b2f882037a.jpeg30E68603-A470-4AB4-A34B-1CEC7BEEBD3A.thumb.jpeg.663752628e2b1f2ebc7fa1e43f303e50.jpeg

The rear wooden deck is supposed to be added before painting but I had to cut it down a bit to fit. The rear anchor has a hawser (circles) that does not exist in any plan or photo. EAA857E7-35C9-4D18-9ACD-07EAFA4BEA49.thumb.jpeg.b319caa8f2e07e532e44c7f27fd54b51.jpeg3175A733-4A35-4C23-8958-404FD99FC635.thumb.jpeg.7012c7758980669779c5960a7d3c1677.jpeg

Greg

I replaced all the anchors with North Star Models German anchors as unlike the kit ones, actually look like anchors. 

I added anchor chain brakes, a wooden strengthening plank (which was standard to protect the deck from the chain on German ships; most other nations used metal), chain stoppers and capstan handles 

i now need to weather it a tad, but you can see with the overhang of the deck this will all be hard to see. 

2C31E491-3BD8-4071-A18F-9D7878A4EA77.jpeg

A07BD5CB-BC9C-428F-9A43-AC12A7F11A88.jpeg

5781508F-9044-4CCB-A8EB-E44497A75FEF.jpeg

3796956E-2C32-477D-905C-A06A81E08E0F.jpeg

BA2FC5CC-9590-4ACE-BA7A-D5E5A4922300.jpeg

F1FC991B-9E47-40DB-853A-7EAB840E2804.jpeg

A258521D-9211-4440-9387-B56C4C8D3181.jpeg

Greg

1 hour ago, RGL said:

very lite details are on the kit, and the upgrade does not give much more. 

What did you expect with an unfinished  ship ... you might want to take a look at her German contemporaries/sisters and figure out what may have been used ...

Some severe weathering. She's becoming quite a rust tub, RGL.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Pretty much standard equipment really for anchors really. Even Kagero  books has a guess and they usually just make stuff up. The Infini Models upgrade has really nice Capstans but nowhere near the details on the other parts such as the catapults. 

Research i I just can’t find is how the wind defectors on the deck were deployed. 

Greg

Wind deflectors? Are you talking about on the foredeck below the flight deck?   Might not have had any as there's railings.  The only time a crew would be there is when anchoring or tying up. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Given the fact that the Germans were working on a concept of a jet fighter, I think it is entirely possible that some foreward thinking engineer thought that perhaps these things will one day be used on ships?

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

No, it predates that by a fair ways. IJN ships had them so I suspect there is some cross training involved. It appears they are pulled up by block and tackle as the blueprints show no mechanics for it.  The IJN ships seem to have lattice work underneath them but the DKM has steel under the wooden deck. 

Greg

No, it predates that by a fair ways. IJN ships had them so I suspect there is some cross training involved. It appears they are pulled up by block and tackle as the blueprints show no mechanics for it.  The IJN ships seem to have lattice work underneath them but the DKM has steel under the wooden deck. 

Greg

Those "gratings" may have actually been some manner of webbing to snare aircraft or just demarcate the landing zone from the parking area.. The aft deck had to be kept clear to recover aircraft. The elevators in the landing zone couldn't be used to strike aircraft below.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

So, apparently it could catapult a set amount of aircraft using compressed air but would then have to await the compressors to build up air again but the aircraft could take off normally using a full length of the deck. Apparently it was fully tested and worked. 

Greg

Not much Draught on her considering her weight.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So apparently it was supposed to work in the shallow Baltic? You can’t see them but there are manoeuvring impellers under the bow, I cut in the doors but are not visible.

also hardly visible, the end of the flight deck (underside) with air tanks for the catapaults. 

E516B134-D766-4D65-BBD6-6BDD7131743F.jpeg

54A175A3-08C5-4A99-B64E-575932769F4C.jpeg

Greg

Actually, the Germans were working on jet aircraft in starting pretty early in the war but Hitler kept delaying it.   So it;'s possible that the carrier had some modifications just in case they got the aircraft right.  The ME-262 should have been out years earlier.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

lovely work Greg, i was just reading the me-262 wikki and got side tracked, lots of "what if's"

i still dont think i could ever do a 1/350 me eyes would pop out and go to bed long before the rest of me

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 hours ago, RGL said:

If I could find some relevant 1/350 German Helicopters is use them too. 

There were no end of pipe dreams available 

Lol i wont mention a mobile platform for V1 s then, seriously though its a lovely build you are doing

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ah... so it will have jets and guided buzzbombs then.    Good thing the Germans weren't working on lasers back then.

I guess I should specify that the V1 could be considered an unguided drone?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, the Germans were actually working on (possibly using by the end of the war) remote guided bombs also :)   Just mentioning  ;) 

Greg, I have now had a chance to better look at your log and must say that is some pretty impressive PE.  This will be a very detailed ship model when complete.  Imagination can take you anywhere with her final look noting she was never fully completed so I look forward to your interpretation.

cheers

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The Japanese had a guided bomb towards the end of WWII and was used in several of the suicide attacks.  Dropped by a Betty as I recall.  The thing was actually radio controlled.  Since this is a "fantasy" build, why not have actual drones using both technologies.   Ok..... I'll get my coat and leave quietly now.coat_32.png.e5ebab208f0b84cdc86018afb2355a01.png

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The Okha or Baka bomb was piloted by a Kamikaze pilot. Scary idea.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

The Okha or Baka bomb was piloted by a Kamikaze pilot. Scary idea.

The Japanese did something likewise with one man subs, same frightening thought

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...