HMS Terror by sir francis haddock - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:65

Hello, this is my 1st build. I had only ever made airfix kits in the past (a long time ago) and they always went wrong, with the wings dropping off and the like. I found the Terror kit and thought this would be a good start. I could practise and discover if (1) I could do this, (2) enjoy doing this and get the equipment I need as I am going along. So everything is new to me and I am sure there will be lots of mistakes. But I hope lots of fun.

The skeleton went together easily. The instructions are more pictures showing the order to make it with very little actual instruction. Without the YouTube guide I would be totally lost.

20190319_210439.jpg

Contact glue is not the easiest thing to use... But it worked after some trial and setbacks. The deck was easy to clean up, pencil the lines and sand. The mirror (board at the back of the deck, not sure of the names?) I noticed has a slight curve around the deck. So I flexed it to see if it would bend, thinking I might have to soak it. It snapped. After I glued it back and stained it I had a big white line of non-stained glue. Will deal with later.

20190411_000752.jpg

20190411_203026.jpg

20190411_205443.jpg

Making mistakes is the best way to learn - I've made heaps and am still very much a beginner :) Do you have a photo of what the completed model will look like? The deck planking looks interesting!

Pat

Building: Artesania Latina Endeavour

Billings Roar Edge

Seriously thinking: Fairmile B launch (powered)

Bucket List: Dyfken, Beagle, Endurance

Sanding the reinforcements took some time to get flush with the false keel. Then the sides to be bent, stained and attached (on the YouTube video it’s called the armour). I live in southern Ireland and there are not many model shops around.  Most of the tools I’m using have to be ordered online so I ordered an electric plank bender and small tool kit that had a pin pusher, which were used for the 1st time on the armour. They were easy to use and no problems yet.

20190411_225054.jpg

Next is the planking. This and the rigging is what I expect will be the most challenging parts. The information I found was to start at the top work my way down, then go from the bottom up and meet in the middle, pinning and gluing as I go.

The stern planking was so easy, short planks with no bends. But trimming the ends with a hobby knife and nothing to rest against is something I think will happen a few times with this project. B)

20190412_221354.jpg

The planking all done, edges tidy, some gaps. Nothing to big that filler cannot fix. Am amazed it all came together and looks like a hull. The instructions and video say to leave the pins in but I thought it would be easier to sand if I took them out.

20190415_065645.thumb.jpg.ccfca4f1dc7f1cc79de16d24ebe599c2.jpg

6 pieces of plywood for the bow reinforcements and lots of sanding. Was braver this time and used a heaver sand paper that really saved a lot of time. I also discovered that sanding filler is something best done outside.

20190415_065717.thumb.jpg.1f9fd5636191073494c7ffa39911ce70.jpg

20190415_200856.thumb.jpg.1e1b2afe9f1a68b3947bcd8a66952bfd.jpg

20190415_200942.thumb.jpg.513aac062162a6e67819e74b19726b3a.jpg

you tube can steer you wrong on a lot of things, your on course for being your first build.  and you are enjoying it......... i think you will be building another.    mind you these ship kits take a long time to build, and you have to educate yourself as you go along.     you may reach a point where you feel exhausted    but don't give up the ship....... take some time off, and you will bounce back.   now about planking   go here    http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php                 www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/resources/ChapterchapFour.pdf     it took me a while to wrap my head around all this, 🙄    this is the right way to do the planking process.       TOM G  cleveland, ohio u.s.a.     

1 hour ago, TOM G said:

you tube can steer you wrong on a lot of things, your on course for being your first build.  and you are enjoying it......... i think you will be building another.    mind you these ship kits take a long time to build, and you have to educate yourself as you go along.     you may reach a point where you feel exhausted    but don't give up the ship....... take some time off, and you will bounce back.   now about planking   go here    http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php                 www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/resources/ChapterchapFour.pdf     it took me a while to wrap my head around all this, 🙄    this is the right way to do the planking process.       TOM G  cleveland, ohio u.s.a.     

Thanks Tom, the planking instructions seem a bit abstract at 1st. It wasn't until I was actually doing it that it then made sense, after the mistakes :D.

Edited by sir francis haddock

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build! It looks like you are moving along and doing good for a first build. I hope you are enjoying it overall, though I'm sure you have faced frustration as well. Anytime you drill or cut holes into finished planking is a scary moment. Glad yours have turned out well. The rigging is indeed tricky but take your time and think through the steps and you will be fine. Try to work from the center outward as much as possible and have a couple pairs of long tweezers handy. Keep up the good work and you will have a nice model!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:45 PM, Haliburton said:

Looking good, the holes are not intended to be fully symmetrical?  Scott

Hi Scott the holes have 3mm brass portholes to cover them and where they are is from the plans. I think they were put where they needed light below deck.

20190425_220218.thumb.jpg.02d4c2e2c1451a88abf1c7658d6da062.jpg

In the instructions the windows are painted on, I didn’t think that looked so good. So I decide to cut out the windows and put plastic to glaze them instead, thinking this would look better.

20190423_224021.thumb.jpg.abecfcd4ce09fe2f823e91470d3f4543.jpg

20190424_224043.thumb.jpg.1ca09e2007e65b65548d01fa30485cbc.jpg

The windows will be covered by a wooden frame so it did not need to be so neat.

Next was the rudder. This was a bit of a challenge, getting the cut down pins into the metal strips took some time due them flying out of the tweezers. I lost so many of these.

20190424_232632.thumb.jpg.934df3259b464a0beee3ffc8196602a9.jpg

20190424_234857.thumb.jpg.0cb075c2ead027e6013b13ea16e9914b.jpg

20190425_001934.thumb.jpg.cfb3bbf479c426880fe58e94be242731.jpg

The cut in and built up windows look much better than if you would have painted them. Good choice!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild