Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

catching up on your progress Nils....and what a lot of progress you've made! :)   the deck sheer really looks great........the coamings work quite well!  she's shaping up to be another of your stellar achievements........you've done a fantastic job so far :)   I agree with you on the portholes.......they are awesome ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Nils,

I also caught up with your magnificent build.  As a succor for details myself I really like all the things you are adding to this working boat.  It makes it realistic and alive.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Many thanks to Steve, Johann, Denis and Piet,

also thanks to all the "likes" for looking in

It must have been two weeks or more since I posted last, and your kind comments encourage me to carry on, the steam was a bit out of the kettle, and I do`nt realy know why....

Instead I spent some hours with my Trainz 2009 train simulator, a program I have on my PC. There is a favourate download add-on I have saved there, it is a historic logging line, down in breathtaking Murchison county, New Zealand.

This is covering standard gauge- and narrow gauge tracks in mountains,  over many scary wooden threstles over rough canyons with animated waterfalls, and along flowing rivers to get to the logging camps, with interactive log-loading and dumping functions.

Best of all are (amoungst many other vehicles in the train park),  the old geared puffing locomotives, like Shay, Climax, Heisler, etc.

Steve,

a very nice comment of yours, much appreciated. Yes, much is with hand tools, and because I neigther own a lathe nor a milling machine, I always have to evaluate how the job can be done altrnatively.

With pleasure I`ll provide a little overview of my favorate tools in use....... (ref. to the enclosed pics)

Johann,

thank you very much for nice comment, much appreciated, am pleased you like the details...

Denis,

thanks for your nice comments, am pleased you like the details. I`m stuck a bit with the deck in the moment, but will groove myself in and carry on....

Piet,

thats a very nice comment, and I`m pleased you like the workboat...

Nils

Pictures:

I have a small room in our cellar which I use for rough-work cutting, sawing, grinding, glass casing assembly, and wood storage.

The assembly work, designing, soldering, and finer fitting sub assemblies is done in my other, more office-like  hobby room, where I also display the finalized models in glass casings

DSCI7918.thumb.JPG.2facd05e593c3915a0020bf7c4752a05.JPG

this is very old kitchen furniture that could be saved from dumping many years ago, here are my favourate tools

DSCI7912.thumb.JPG.35ae16cc3dc6e8e77d1f63048155bda6.JPG

this table saw is my latest achievement, a birthday present of my son in Oct. this year

DSCI7915.thumb.JPG.cd2d8d61fa6a39fa69113911922ddb2c.JPG

this multy use sander is very much in use, and I ca´nt miss it anymore...

DSCI7916.thumb.JPG.d366cbbb220168e42f3652c5f4f043ed.JPG

for sharpening chissels and drills

DSCI7917.thumb.JPG.5d31e7461c0ced546383b730c4dee1b0.JPG

the small IXO Bosch Drill is very much in use, i`ts usualy for taking up hexogonal headed bits, and here also a bit for spanning small drills  0,5 - 6 mm for all purposes...

further a a sander belt ( cost much less than a Proxon or so), but is a pofessional tool

further two grinder / sanding tools for appropriate range of bits

And of course the good old  hand jig-saw

DSCI7919.thumb.JPG.0fa8964541c35f1ddd1dda3073472b68.JPG

odd plankes and dowels, bits of wood, ply bits and remaining plate rests, etc. are saved for future purposes....

DSCI7920.thumb.JPG.4c5636f0c5aff8158e4ec10eef5b71a6.JPG

DSCI7921.thumb.JPG.645931c06ffe821252cb064e3777a6f4.JPG

also all sorts of brass profiles and tubes are saved

DSCI7922.thumb.JPG.dbdef685e7ea596283d4869136378bf0.JPG

DSCI7925.thumb.JPG.5357eac9c767a184ae0900e350dda6fa.JPG

drawings, design evaluations etc. are saved in card tubes

DSCI7913.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

You are a very methodical and clean worker Nils.

My shop is a disgrace and very dusty.

I do though have a rough idea where everything is and know when I am running out of various glues.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do a photo session of your workshop and tools.

I am sure that you will resolve being stuck with the decks.

So long as you are not stuck TO the decks with CA then alles Gut!!!

Pete

Hi Pete,

thats the impression, after the vacum cleaner was at work, you should have seen it before and an angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session. All shoeprints all over the carpets !

Meantime I have received some blocks and cotton cloth for sewing the sails, brown and red, or will do two of the five sails in red. I still have some Morope  for the bolt ropes

Nils

DSCI7926.thumb.JPG.cd70df397417af43c2c804f2d6d804d4.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

1 hour ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Pete,

thats the impression, after the vacum cleaner was at work, you should have seen it before and an angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session. All shoeprints all over the carpets !

Meantime I have received some blocks and cotton cloth for sewing the sails, brown and red, or will do two of the five sails in red. I still have some Morope  for the bolt ropes

Nils

'An angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session.'

It sounds so familiar, I thought it only existed here in Belgium😁.

So true Geert   😏......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for your interest in my "favorite tools" and for your greeting Steve....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 11/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, G.L. said:

'An angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session.'

It sounds so familiar, I thought it only existed here in Belgium😁.

Thats nothing!

Angry wives....

I have a very old German friend who is a solicitor and likes to read all the business aspects and news from several news papers on a daily basis.

His wife makes him wash his hands afterwards to remove any print marks that may be transferred to the white paintwork!!!! Aghhhhh!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi Eric,

because of other involvement, the continuation of the Zeesbboot build unfortunately is postponed to a later point but not stopped.

Regards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

26 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

the continuation of the Zeesbboot build unfortunately is postponed to a later point but not stopped.

We will be here when you come back! Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Nils, A couple of hours this morning going through this fine build, What a delight to see more of your clever ways to make things that are complex. you Seem to have a great skill at breaking things down into their smaller parts. I also like the peek a boo ways that you show the interior parts.

Hope all is well with you during these challenging times and that you and your family are healthy.

Take care Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael,

thank you for looking in and for taking your time in exploring the Zeesboot model so far.....

Yes, I love to realize some details ( I have on my mind), considering how to get them done, surely its more easy with a scratch build being free of a must, in sticking to plans. As I already mentioned to Eric in the mails before, the build is going to get on again, but momentarily cooking on a very small flame.

Also many thanks for your good health wishes. Marianne and I (both over 70) are healthy and looking forward to be vacinated some time this year, problem is the lack in vacination dosises here, and they are not through with the over 80-ties first group of prority

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Take care  Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,

I am also curious to see when the boat building will continue. If it takes time, I'll be happy to wait. Stay healthy.

Greetings Matthias

Edited by victory78

being off on a tangent myself,  I don't see logs I usually follow...........and the compounding of my active projects,  keeps me even busier ;)   I was thinking of you the other day....today,  I saw your log on the front page.  she's still looking good Nils......your doing a wonderful job on her.   I'm glad to hear you folks are faring well through all this,  and hope you weather the storm { I'm sure things will get better....we will beat the virus}. take care and stay well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

17 hours ago, victory78 said:

Hello Nils,

I am also curious to see when the boat building will continue. If it takes time, I'll be happy to wait. Stay healthy.

Greetings Matthias

Hello Matthias,

thanks for your words, I`ve also been looking at your Zeesboot Model, very nice indeed and super handcrafted !

Greetings, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

17 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

being off on a tangent myself,  I don't see logs I usually follow...........and the compounding of my active projects,  keeps me even busier ;)   I was thinking of you the other day....today,  I saw your log on the front page.  she's still looking good Nils......your doing a wonderful job on her.   I'm glad to hear you folks are faring well through all this,  and hope you weather the storm { I'm sure things will get better....we will beat the virus}. take care and stay well!

Hi Denis,

we have`nt been writing for quite some time, but thanks for your words and for looking in again...

Stay well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,
thank you.
I posted some impressions of my boat in the welcome chat. I'm not sure yet if I'll post something like a report. A lot has already come together. Sometimes there is not enough time. We will see.

Greetings Matthias

Hello Matthias,

yes, it would be great if you would send a build log on this site......

I think there would be many followers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Today I was just "surfing"the forum and found your Zeesboot. I have gone over you entire build and found it fascinating. Your attention to detail is magnificent. I have just started to build a Fifie ( Scottish fishing boat). I noticed in one of your notes that you had purchased brass etched fish. I tried to get to the sites labeled in the sheets but with no success. Could you tell me where you got those fish. My build is in 1/32 scale and I would like to show an open hold with nets and some fish scattered around. Your help will be appreciated as there are several of us building similar boat. In the meantime I will continue following you build as I am interested in watching your rigging

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Hi Ras

thanks for looking in and I`m pleased that you liked the build so far......

For Ref. to the fishes I found some in different scales at Hobby-Lobby-Modellbau webshop :

http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com/onlineshop/index.php/cat/c556_Diverses-Zubeh-r.html, those are in plastic though

For Ref. fish in etched brass see Modellbau-Kaufhaus webshop

https://shop.modellbau-kaufhaus.de/schiffsmodellbau/fischerei

Hope this will be of help, and good success with the catch

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, appreciate your quick reply to my inquiry about the fish. I checked the site and it is fabulous. However, the shipping to the US was 39 euros for a 19 euro order. In addition, for payment, they only accept bank transfers and I was kind of leery about doing that. I prefer to use something like Pay Pal. Anyway, your information also offered another shop for the etched fish but they didn't have  a selection for English language.

But, most of the fun of these builds is to do the research and accommodate current materials to represent scale stuff. I will continue to follow your build.

Thanks again for the response 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Ahoy Nils -- Sorry to see that you've laid aside your build for a while.  I think many of us have faced challenges we'd never expected before -- I've been following the difficulties in Germany with the vaccines, but I hope you & Marianne get yours soon, and that you find your way back to the Zeesboot.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Many thanks for your kind words Martin,

I also had a look into your Fly build, it`s much impressing to see the progress to date, it looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 1 year later...

Update

After quite some months I took up continuation on this build.  Older deck planks were removed new planks 1 mm wider are on order and the edge coaming overworked all around.

I`m also sampling materials for the rigging again, as some of the blocks had been canibalized for the # 5 Elbe build. The red cotton cloth is for the sails

Nils

DSCI8798.thumb.JPG.776b4defa37bc934ae54d194a9442dc3.JPG

the contact surface of upper planking and deck coaming edge will be covered with a semi round beech profile

DSCI8800.thumb.JPG.6437ba60f6f7c91f2f7f4689a7baccdc.JPG

front view still without deck planking

DSCI8799.thumb.JPG.0a2edd1b5f4569302cf58e5a318f2984.JPG

Aft view

DSCI8801.thumb.JPG.a23766ae984908bf15925a668d273623.JPG

box with already finished details

DSCI7926.thumb.JPG.b2518581db92a6a0aa07242e9e8f0208.JPG

Cotton sail cloth, some blocks and some leftovers of rope for standing rigging and perhaps bolt rope

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, nice to see you working on this project again. Wishing you continued success. 

Thank you Keith,

I think I have now gained enough ambition to finalize this build......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed