Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

Thank you very much for your nice comment Mark,

the small parts of the engine are taking more time than I thought....., I wanted to do the dome nuts for the cylinderhead from  small brass hexagonal brass bar but it looks like I lost the remaining bit I still had.

In the meantime the housing was painted and I`m working on the cooling tubing with connection to the water pump. Generator and its terminal box are also painted, need to do a bit of wiring, and I`m looking for a suitable mini V-belt or two, perhaps  the thin sealing "O-ring" for wrist watch glasses can do for this. I`ll have to see the jewelery shop in town if he has some old ones in his scrap box...

Will post some more pics when I have all things together

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you very much Peter for your appreciative words,

I`m pleased you like the engine...

Yesterday I received some brass etched fish for the catch together in scale 1:25, with two fish box kits (sides get folded and soldered together). For the fish there needs to be some uppadding, which will favorably will be done "Fimo clay" that can be baken for curing, before the fishes get painted. I decided also to produce some eels in appropriate scale made completely from Fimo clay. Trust that all together this will enhance the working boat character, when done...

Nils

DSCI7685.thumb.JPG.228ce945bd12f21a10d63a4787fa2bce.JPG

DSCI7686.thumb.JPG.3f112aa5358ee687fb6d7a28e04e3ee6.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Many thanks Slava, and for looking in,

have`nt heard from you quite some time now, nice to know that you`re watching this build.....

I`m still working on the engine, installed generator, water cooling pump and tubing and fly-wheel, more to come the next days...

Cheers,

Nils

DSCI7687.JPG

DSCI7689.JPG

DSCI7690.JPG

DSCI7691.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wow...brass fish!!!!

Who would have thought of that!!!

And the mesh basket for them too.

Absolutely brilliant idea.

Reminds me of when I made brass etched model locomotives.

The motor is looking good.

I hope you will leave the brass pipes in brass?

Maybe varnish them to prevent them going dull and ugly in the passage of time.

When I made my model locomotives in G scale, I bought some sheets of plastic with hundreds of nut and bolt tops moulded on to them.

One simply slices them off and epoxy or super glue them where you want them.

This could be of interest to you and the engine build?

Keep it going please.

Love it.

Pete

I used to make such bolts and nuts in my pre-lathe days on the hand-held drill: take a piece of brass rod (I actually used small brass nails that turn better, due to being work-hardened from the stamping process) into the chuck, turn a step on the front with a small file, then (using the hex-nut of chuck as guide) I filed the six sides by counting the number of file strokes on each side, finally filed the short 'bolt' that will go into a pre-drilled hole and parted off. You won't produce them by hundreds this way, but it's quick enough for machinery, such as winches or the engine.

Today, of course, I use the lathe and the dividing head on my milling machine.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you very much Pete, Geert and Eberhard,

your answers and input are very much appreciated....

Pete,

model locomotives and marine craft in G scale  often have details that can be adopted of another..

I went looking for polysterol screw head imitates (your pic...) but could`nt  find them in the web net, do you kindly perhaps have a source (link) ?

Geert,

As I could only model the engine from Photos I found on the web, this was my best effort to produce something alike in scale 1:24, am pleased you like it

Eberhard,

I remember , when doing the bolts with dome nuts, that connect the blades to the hubs ((KWdG model) I worked a bit like you described in your "pre lathe days".

Instead of nails as base material I used quite small hexogon brass bar.

Many thanks for your kind input here...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Slava,

a pitty it does`nt run, I would love the sound, tuck, tuck, tuck......

Nils 

DSCI7696.thumb.JPG.b1eaf9153e7895c369e061824294527c.JPG

exhaust tubing, Muffler and tubing through aft bulwark above waterline

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Slava,

yes, I`ve read that somewhere before, think its in combination with RC models on a pond or lake....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

You might check here:  https://jimorrisco.com/ 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

many thanks for that link, I`ll check it out...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The muffler and exhaust looks great.

The nuts and bolts as mentioned are made by the firm Meng.

There are three different sets A ,B and C.

They are 1:35 scale but nuts and bolts are nuts and bolts.

I think you need set A whereas the nut is fastened on the bolt with a little of the bolt protruding.

SPS004.jpg

I bought mine from a local model shop but I have just checked ebay and they can be purchased from there or Amazon.

Just type in 

MENG NUTS AND BOLTS SET A 

And you should get there.

Pete

Edited by Peter Cane
Mistake

Many thanks for the link Pete,

I found the set A straight away and ordered already... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

13 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Many thanks for the link Pete,

I found the set A straight away and ordered already... :)

Nils

Great.

You are an excellent modeller and will therefore realise that small details like this make the model. 

I will continue to view your blog.

What will you call her?

I have a suggestion ....

Tuc Tuc???

Ha ha.

Pete

Thank you Pete,

I know sometimes I get lost in details, but if the time for completing is not pressing I can try and realise some of the thoughts I have saved in mind, and its a lot of fun. The tuc- engine is the little heart of the boat.

Your name suggestion is not bad, but I intended to call her "Lorbas" as this name was not yet registrated for heritage Zeesboots list, to my knowledge

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

not much progress this tme..

the engine is complete and the sockets for main- and aft mast set in place

Nils

DSCI7710.thumb.JPG.67f55e0eca3764680be56ebd4472644b.JPG

DSCI7707.thumb.JPG.d63e96269bdff6ba962abb5fa9bbf893.JPG

the mesh fish boxes have been chemicaly blackened

DSCI7708.thumb.JPG.2bfa2978fd7aa6f68166638de10398ee.JPG

the V-belts are from sealings for wrist watch covers

DSCI7709.thumb.JPG.d2611105311471b1f77b0f871660fcf2.JPG

DSCI7704.thumb.JPG.3ddef1b32e469ac13468831d7ff992a3.JPG

added an oil dipstick

257706685_maxresdefault(1).jpg.ca8ffa3e5369c795227f7f5ab2239870.jpg

upper right corner : day fuel tank ca. 20 Liter

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Geert,

will start with the removable engine bonnet, that will have some outcuts so the engine remains visible.

Have also added silicone shock dampener pads for bolting the engine down, and with reference and  thanks to Pete`s suggestion I received the small panel with dummy screw heads, these are also installed already, as well as the prolonged exhaust tube that is now leading to the outside hull planking...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Pete,

Yes there will be several cuts, also in the cabin area giving view to the whole interior. Thanks again for your link to the screw heads, great idea I think....

Nils

DSCI7717.thumb.JPG.40f65157aed24e63eac043c69d6ebc24.JPG

bolts holding the gear housing to the machine block, and silicone rubber dampening pads

DSCI7718.thumb.JPG.1a3228f9ab035ac70e5d754bebe6993b.JPG

slicing off the round heads with hexogonal sockets

DSCI7721.thumb.JPG.d588cdd8aa004ffc1b0bd4fb845b36cc.JPG

exhaust to outside (well above waterline)

DSCI7722.thumb.JPG.eb32677d0cfd753a3d0b625a920be619.JPG

screws for exhaust tube flange to cylinder 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Johann,

I had a look at your "La Creole French Corvette....., fantastic work, amazing shipwright handcraft..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Yes. Any adjoining pipe work would have to have a flange.

I was going to suggest it but it t is your project and you need time to do these refinements.

So I kept quiet in anticipation.

I thing I am just as enthusiastic as you Nils about your model.

I must zip my mouth and keep watching.

Brilliant.

Pete

I keep expecting to see that engine work as it looks like it could.  Wonderful Nils.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks to Pete and Mark,

and to all who clicked the "like" Button...

today I made the hand-bilge pump, which discharges into the centerboard case, and the upper sill of the centerboard case

Nils

DSCI7733.thumb.JPG.7ae2590f743db9b829b46ba31b922c37.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 8/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mirabell61 said:

the V-belts are from sealings for wrist watch covers

Very resourceful Nils - that’s going into my notebook.  Wonderful engine detailing and so finely done.  Very nice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

many thanks Gary,

your comment is much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed