Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

Hello freinds and fellow members,

today I would like to introduce my new project comprising a model of an traditional working- and fishing boat, as used in the German Baltic state Mecklenburg- Vorpommern in the region called "Darss" with extended national Parks, many decades and years ago. These beautiful wooden boats today are being much cherrished, restored by knowledgable boatbuilders with love and are mostly owned and sailed by enthusiasts for heritage wooden craft with red/brown gaff- und lugger sails. Some have been motorized. There are several regattas on the Bodden waters now an then, a most lovely sight..

Around easter time this year my wife and I decided to do something for our health and we experienced a 7 day "fast hiking week" in the Darss region at the seaside, together with a group of 26 persons and with a trainer.

During the hiking tours we also came across little fishing boat ports, and here is where found my inspiration for building a model of one of these lovely boats.

In actual they bear an FZ.......  registration number on their main sail and they are determined the category "Zeesboat". They are planked either karweel or clinker type and have a swivible centerboard. Mostly they are ketch rigged or single masted with sloop rig. The lengths differ between 9- 12 meter

Before beginning there will be a preparation phase, as I mostly do, for the model in scratch build, as I unfortunately to date have no experience wih clinker (lapstrake) building, and some of the idias spooking in my mind have to be tested first, in order to do a near to original lapstrake planking.  I intend to plank over a mold / plug and to reinforce the hull later on with separatly added frames, after the hull is taken from the plug. The scale will be somewhere between 1:20 and 1:32. Planking will probably be pear 2 x 15 mm, held together with blackened brass pins and mini clench-discs on the lapstrake inside (resembling the riveted plank boatnails along the horizontal seams)

I beleave that there is at this time no other Zeesboat model presented in the MSW forum yet. For doing this model I even decided to postpone the intended model of the seagoing "Hainan Junk" to a future project

Nils

Preparation Phase

it may take some time from now to kick off the begin...DSCI7373.thumb.JPG.36067c59c2f55a4f9d6b79942fd75e42.JPG

pin diameter 0,6 mm, head 1,3 mm,     The washer hole 0,6 mm, OD 1,4 mm, 0,3 mm thickness

Abb.160_Plan_Zeesboot.jpg.fe00d795a9a76a5a0ae0de497abdf81a.jpg

Typical open Zeesboot with open rudder stand and working cockpit and small deckhouse before the mainmast

DSCI7298.thumb.JPG.a27ac415a49bfd70545defd762052596.JPG

... seen in the little port of Wiek

DSCI7299.thumb.JPG.e96414bc4693d2f814f6b1ecf8eb7c05.JPG

old boat, new restored, cabin added to the cockpit

DSCI7300.thumb.JPG.c9c49783a6152d319f885a917b3018c4.JPG

DSCI7301.thumb.JPG.9884d8b2ea96244779e1d7049fb4c4f5.JPG

Boat "Marie Luise"

DSCI7350.thumb.JPG.be14847389fcbe56e1aa4622caeaca18.JPG

using some srap planks 2 x 12 mm and camfering the upper edges of the forelast plank for the landing surface dummy....

DSCI7351.thumb.JPG.32fd635a12852f4773829af60b26088d.JPG

connecting the planks with flat head brass pins (slight countersink)

DSCI7352.thumb.JPG.33ed4b94936a070075b2928c26802fa6.JPG

interior side of lapstrake

DSCI7354.thumb.JPG.b89794a664ab64e634bb63fb20dac2b8.JPG

resembling (in lack of suitable clench washers) the clenching with small pieces of plastic tube....

DSCI7357.thumb.JPG.681180ee779725e4ec19aff2fa35acf4.JPG

DSCI7374.thumb.JPG.724ff87d651c0e8859ec7f2267a2120f.JPG

have just received a sample of mini brass washers, that will do perfectly for "clenching" to the pins...

DSCI7373.thumb.JPG.36067c59c2f55a4f9d6b79942fd75e42.JPG

clench washers size in relation to the pins

DSCI7367.thumb.JPG.7d184adb9751faa2ff1d841984c944c5.JPG

here the planks are chisilled for fit and smooth flush transition to the dummy bowpost. The brass pins are here chemically blackend....

DSCI7368.thumb.JPG.3c6407ad16a12ce9e6bec39fa34a3a72.JPG

DSCI7369.thumb.JPG.edc7e60e90b5be9e68400e60044cfeb8.JPG

DSCI7366.thumb.JPG.4fd409434528e94be4b199ccc88c5246.JPG

this will be my basic building plan... (out of a publication I recently bought from an antiquariat)

Nils

DSCI7355.JPG

DSCI7353.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Moin moin, Nils! I always enjoy seeing another smallcraft project in the forum. With your considerable skills, I'm sure this will be a real gem.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Nils - 

She is a pretty little thing.  I'm sure you will do her justice.

I have pulled up a chair and am anticipating some entertaining hours ahead.

Dan 

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

A very fine looking and interesting boat Nils.  I look forward to following your progress and wish you the best of luck on your new project.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Many thanks for looking in and for your kind replies,.....

to Chris, Dan, and Gary...

also for the "likes"...

Moin Chris,

its not very large, although it will be a rather large scale, but I hope to make something I can be pleased with myself

Dan,

you`re very welcome, stay tuned....

Gary,

thanks for your good wishes, much appreciated..

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you very much B.E.

for looking in, yes, its a small craft this time, should`nt be too difficult, but a broad range of new technics to investigate and for myself to try out..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks for your words Frank and Eberhard,

Frank,

rather nothing of the boat to be seen yet, but I`m gathering information and upfront trying out things with test dummies...., stay tuned for more...

Eberhard,

thanks for your information and link to the "Arbeitskreis Forum", though it can only be opened to registered members, but I think I probably saw that one on the web some days ago in the "Wettringer Forum", a beautiful build !!, built by a very talented young man named Mathias

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

good to see you Nils..........and you bring the tidings of a new project!   I'm in!  ;)    clinkering is an art in itself........some of us do it without even trying {just don't fare the frame  :D }.    kidding aside..........with your experience,  you shouldn't have a problem mastering it!   looking forward in seeing more of your fine workmanship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much Denis,

unfortunately I did`nt order any planks yet, I intend to use pear wood 2 x 15 mm and place them onto the mold in one length pieces, but I do`nt have any experience with pear wood to date, especially for the bending behavior...in comparison to pine wood planks I usualy use...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

New techniques to learn!  That's great to hear, since you've already impressed all of us with your vast array of techniques.  Can't wait to see you get to work.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Many thanks Martin.

I`m pleased that you are also on board.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Great to hear from you. Again you showed your creativity already in choosing your new project. I'm looking forward to a very interesting build.

BTW what is fast hiking - perhaps something similar to Nordic walking?

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I`m also happy to hear from you again...

The German term for fast hiking is "fasten-wandern", (fasten = to fast), meaning one week without eating food, only drinking......, but drinking teas, vegetable drinks, and fresh pressed fruit juices. Besides that there is an animated gymnastic exercise every morning, outside on the lawn of the hotel, and after the first vegetable drink for breakast, to decide partipication either in walking 12-  15 Km at quite a pace, without walking sticks,  (hiking) with one group, or alternatively bicycle riding with another group for about 15-20 km. The drinking and accomodation is provided by the Hotel, especially equiped for fast hiking groups

I lost 5Kg in that week, my wife 3 Kg in weight.... I do`nt think I´ll do it again

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Well, judging by my own experience, you will not have to search for those lost kg - unfortunately they'll usually find you again. 😉  Although I feel a certain unwillingness to repeat the exercise at least it provided you with a very interesting project...

Cheers

Peter

The primary reason I have ever hiked, walked, or biked is so that I can eat heartily and drink a beer when I stop.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

well, that was also my secret thought during those days Martin....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A pretty little boat Nils. I look forward to seeing more.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Good morning Keith,

thank you for looking in....

I`ll be beginning with making the building-mold. Pear planks have been ordered for the planking later on, and for the keel and bow / stern posts....

As an additional alternative to the chissel for shaping the plank-fits I would like to try out this little mini plane I saw and ordered from a web-shop.

For making the molds "bulkheads" I will be using every second one of the frame section plan, and transfer the shape on to 4mm thick birch ply.

Nils

DSCI7375.thumb.JPG.71fa50e925dd013b7de96595205fd8df.JPG

Frame section plan

DSCI7377.thumb.JPG.0b94414b6608dbc7f8f1225afb3265d7.JPG

DSCI7378.thumb.JPG.6480419d689a46281cd3f39e74fcc4ac.JPG

it may be a bit better to control than the chissel, due to the constant fixed angle for cutting /shaving, and the blade gets right into "sharp" corners

DSCI7379.thumb.JPG.ba6fa0109d84393b9c636eef4fc60cb5.JPG

DSCI7380.thumb.JPG.af648e2ca06254c8065a743ec159bd46.JPG

Sorry for the fade pencil contour on the wood....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Begin of building the mold

every second bulkhead only is used for the hull / mold shape. After the white glue is cured, the the bulkhead sides will be faired down to outline contour...

Nils

DSCI7382.thumb.JPG.621dd1c7a57039e60e6e61fa65782884.JPG

the slotted profile bars (4 mm slots)  are scrap parts I saved up from the recent built casing framework....

DSCI7383.thumb.JPG.897fcba25d53a231b0a779085b272fba.JPG

DSCI7384.thumb.JPG.cef174327dc5bb77bc5b07004fb5b679.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice work Nils.

Your hand plane looks interesting. I'am using different sizes of hand planes for woodworking at home, and also for ship modelling. 

It's essential that you keep the blade sharp - very sharp. Using a simple waterstone gives good results. As your plane has no mouth, it may happen that you cut all the way through the wood. Veritas or Lee Nielsen have good hand planes (also small ones, good for modelling), but they are far to expensive in Germany. Maybe you look at "dictum.de" or "feinewerkzeuge.de" for more information.

Grüße in den Kreis Stormarn

Götz

Current build: Hanseatic ship 1:50   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16089-hanseatic-ship-c-1500-by-goetzi73-150-first-scratch-build/

Completed builds: Nina (Amati), HM Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft). Golden Hind (Mamoli)

Next on List: Fifie 1:32 (Amati Victory Models)

On 5/6/2019 at 2:10 AM, Mirabell61 said:

As an additional alternative to the chisel for shaping the plank-fits I would like to try out this little mini plane

I have a version of that, it's called a bullnose plane and is exactly for the purpose you're using it. I used mine on my LN, cleaning up the joints between the bulkhead tops and the deck underlayment. You want to make light cuts with lots of pressure on the rear end of the plane to prevent it from nosediving into the wood, something every bullnose plane likes to do.

The best small planes I've found are the Mujingfang planes, the steel is quite good. Although I like the coolness factor of the little Veritas copies of larger planes, they really aren't very ergonomic.

Edited by vossiewulf

Many thanks Götz and Vossiewulf,

and to all the "Likes"....

Götz,

you`re right correct sharpening of the blade is essential for a good result, will have to get more practice in doing so......

Vossiewulf,

I see from your comment that you have understood what I`m going for with this little hand plane. The clou is that it came only 8,29 Euro on ebay, so I could`nt do  anything wrong with buying it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 5/8/2019 at 12:09 AM, Mirabell61 said:

The clou is that it came only 8,29 Euro on ebay, so I could`nt do  anything wrong with buying it...

Absolutely and one of my little planes was bought that way and it turned out to have a decent steel iron so it may work well as is. If it doesn't, take a look at the Mujingfang version, that will definitely work well.

And I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the Kaiser Wilhelm in particular, must have missed your Xebec when I was away.

Thanks Vossie,

I`m pleased you enjoyed my KWdG, It is standing in it`s glas case about 2 meters away from my work desc

NIls

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Carrying on with the mold making....

there is hardly any fine tuning to fairing / shaping the bulkheads, all is straking quite well and the planks will have a moderate bend. Now the bowpost and sternpost as well as the keel will be removably fastened to the mold....

Nils

DSCI7390.thumb.JPG.188c627881e83dfe326900f451799122.JPG

DSCI7391.thumb.JPG.e67557c9b3154de0f14c4b645acd52e9.JPG

there are reinforcement lugs left and right, to where the centerbord will pass through the keel on the hull later on

DSCI7392.thumb.JPG.8043a1758fd9e1a8363f269da47a5e0b.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks very much Kees,

I`m pleased you like it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed