Mirabell61

Zeesboot- wooden fishing vessel-small Zeesboot c. 1876 by Mirabell61 - scale 1:24

Nils,

Your work is an ongoing feast for the eyes, made even more wonderful by your creativity with what appears to be all hand labor with a minimal set of tools.  You've probably done it before but would you mind sharing what, if any power tools you use and what are your favorite hand tools?

Thank you

Steve

catching up on your progress Nils....and what a lot of progress you've made! :)   the deck sheer really looks great........the coamings work quite well!  she's shaping up to be another of your stellar achievements........you've done a fantastic job so far :)   I agree with you on the portholes.......they are awesome ;) 

Many thanks to Steve, Johann, Denis and Piet,

also thanks to all the "likes" for looking in

It must have been two weeks or more since I posted last, and your kind comments encourage me to carry on, the steam was a bit out of the kettle, and I do`nt realy know why....

Instead I spent some hours with my Trainz 2009 train simulator, a program I have on my PC. There is a favourate download add-on I have saved there, it is a historic logging line, down in breathtaking Murchison county, New Zealand.

This is covering standard gauge- and narrow gauge tracks in mountains,  over many scary wooden threstles over rough canyons with animated waterfalls, and along flowing rivers to get to the logging camps, with interactive log-loading and dumping functions.

Best of all are (amoungst many other vehicles in the train park),  the old geared puffing locomotives, like Shay, Climax, Heisler, etc.

Steve,

a very nice comment of yours, much appreciated. Yes, much is with hand tools, and because I neigther own a lathe nor a milling machine, I always have to evaluate how the job can be done altrnatively.

With pleasure I`ll provide a little overview of my favorate tools in use....... (ref. to the enclosed pics)

Johann,

thank you very much for nice comment, much appreciated, am pleased you like the details...

Denis,

thanks for your nice comments, am pleased you like the details. I`m stuck a bit with the deck in the moment, but will groove myself in and carry on....

Piet,

thats a very nice comment, and I`m pleased you like the workboat...

Nils

Pictures:

I have a small room in our cellar which I use for rough-work cutting, sawing, grinding, glass casing assembly, and wood storage.

The assembly work, designing, soldering, and finer fitting sub assemblies is done in my other, more office-like  hobby room, where I also display the finalized models in glass casings

DSCI7918.thumb.JPG.2facd05e593c3915a0020bf7c4752a05.JPG

this is very old kitchen furniture that could be saved from dumping many years ago, here are my favourate tools

DSCI7912.thumb.JPG.35ae16cc3dc6e8e77d1f63048155bda6.JPG

this table saw is my latest achievement, a birthday present of my son in Oct. this year

DSCI7915.thumb.JPG.cd2d8d61fa6a39fa69113911922ddb2c.JPG

this multy use sander is very much in use, and I ca´nt miss it anymore...

DSCI7916.thumb.JPG.d366cbbb220168e42f3652c5f4f043ed.JPG

for sharpening chissels and drills

DSCI7917.thumb.JPG.5d31e7461c0ced546383b730c4dee1b0.JPG

the small IXO Bosch Drill is very much in use, i`ts usualy for taking up hexogonal headed bits, and here also a bit for spanning small drills  0,5 - 6 mm for all purposes...

further a a sander belt ( cost much less than a Proxon or so), but is a pofessional tool

further two grinder / sanding tools for appropriate range of bits

And of course the good old  hand jig-saw

DSCI7919.thumb.JPG.0fa8964541c35f1ddd1dda3073472b68.JPG

odd plankes and dowels, bits of wood, ply bits and remaining plate rests, etc. are saved for future purposes....

DSCI7920.thumb.JPG.4c5636f0c5aff8158e4ec10eef5b71a6.JPG

DSCI7921.thumb.JPG.645931c06ffe821252cb064e3777a6f4.JPG

also all sorts of brass profiles and tubes are saved

DSCI7922.thumb.JPG.dbdef685e7ea596283d4869136378bf0.JPG

DSCI7925.thumb.JPG.5357eac9c767a184ae0900e350dda6fa.JPG

drawings, design evaluations etc. are saved in card tubes

DSCI7913.JPG

You are a very methodical and clean worker Nils.

My shop is a disgrace and very dusty.

I do though have a rough idea where everything is and know when I am running out of various glues.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do a photo session of your workshop and tools.

I am sure that you will resolve being stuck with the decks.

So long as you are not stuck TO the decks with CA then alles Gut!!!

Pete

Hi Pete,

thats the impression, after the vacum cleaner was at work, you should have seen it before and an angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session. All shoeprints all over the carpets !

Meantime I have received some blocks and cotton cloth for sewing the sails, brown and red, or will do two of the five sails in red. I still have some Morope  for the bolt ropes

Nils

DSCI7926.thumb.JPG.cd70df397417af43c2c804f2d6d804d4.JPG

1 hour ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Pete,

thats the impression, after the vacum cleaner was at work, you should have seen it before and an angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session. All shoeprints all over the carpets !

Meantime I have received some blocks and cotton cloth for sewing the sails, brown and red, or will do two of the five sails in red. I still have some Morope  for the bolt ropes

Nils

'An angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session.'

It sounds so familiar, I thought it only existed here in Belgium😁.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, G.L. said:

'An angry wife, just after a sanding and table saw session.'

It sounds so familiar, I thought it only existed here in Belgium😁.

Thats nothing!

Angry wives....

I have a very old German friend who is a solicitor and likes to read all the business aspects and news from several news papers on a daily basis.

His wife makes him wash his hands afterwards to remove any print marks that may be transferred to the white paintwork!!!! Aghhhhh!!!!