Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

Nice boat!

I read in your report that you use white glue for the planking. White glue often causes stains that are very hard to remove and especially show up once varnish is applied. In the days that I worked with pear wood I used epoxy glue, which dries quicker, is easier to remove and leaves much less stains. Or do you have better results with other sorts of glue?

Thanks Ab,

yes, you`re right, I also experienced stains on the wood due to use of white glue. I`m still intending to check with every visible plank (outside) to remove the stains by sanding carefuly. I tried to avoid larger stains by using the white glue sparsely and also because the horizontal overlapping lines will be nailed and quench locked from the inside hull, but that will be done after the inside framework is put in place

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

19 minutes ago, Ab Hoving said:

Nice boat!

I read in your report that you use white glue for the planking. White glue often causes stains that are very hard to remove and especially show up once varnish is applied. In the days that I worked with pear wood I used epoxy glue, which dries quicker, is easier to remove and leaves much less stains. Or do you have better results with other sorts of glue?

1 minute ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thanks Ab,

yes, you`re right, I also experienced stains on the wood due to use of white glue. I`m still intending to check with every visible plank (outside) to remove the stains by sanding carefuly. I tried to avoid larger stains by using the white glue sparcely and also because the horizontal overlapping lines will be nailed and quench locked from the inside hull, but that will be done after the inside framework is put in place

Nils

I also use mainly white wood glue for modeling. After applying the glue I remove stains with a wet rag. I works well in my opinion.

On the other hand I do not have experience with epoxy. Don't you have to mix two components in an exact ratio an aren't there temperature restrictions to use it?

thank you Geert,

I also used a wet cloth for wiping off surplus glue before it cured on the wood. The point is that the "stains" appeear when liquid wood primer is applied to the areas, even there where one thought that they had been removed........

Here is a little removable jig to hold down the rudder from pushing up from the stern hinges

In the small baltic shipyard two "Zeesener"fishermen are just inspecting their new boat being built

Nils

preventer bracket (removable)

DSCI7501.thumb.JPG.2256ae0e30a668d991e92a411fdcb329.JPG

DSCI7496.thumb.JPG.85b586ffbab2ba5695d44b04df5c3a3e.JPG

father fisherman..., with the new ordered boat in build...

DSCI7497.thumb.JPG.389cd71cac6ce4248224b06e881689a1.JPG

DSCI7498.thumb.JPG.da1307bf464d5e3807fb84aa82c08531.JPG

together with his son, next generation, who will be the new skipper

DSCI7499.thumb.JPG.21645b5d1b64e54fada9ff772878d55e.JPG

both in scale "G" 1:24

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

The problem with white glue is that it intrudes relatively deep into the structure of the wood. Sanding is hardly an option, the stains will stay. Epoxy two-components glue however is easy both to apply and to remove, because It does not go very deep into the wood. I can recommend it. Just mix a small amount of both substances. Because it takes the same quantity of both you will find out that you easily preparere too much, so take care. It dries in 5-10 minutes, holds very good and it is not much more expensive as white glue. It smells though and you will have to ventilate your room. Try it out.

One could also argue, that the advantage of PVA-glue is that it penetrates deeper and therefore keys better into the wood, while epoxy cements stay more on the surface. The latter are stronger as a material, but do not key into wood so well.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Ab and Wefalk, thanks to both of you,....

the pros and cons (PVA vs. Epoxy)  must carefuly be considered, I`ll try and gain more experience from my side

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The son of the father fisherman has already begun to develop a questionable posture.  That's a good recipe for neck problems down the road!  ;)

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I agree Martin,

he had a hard life up to now, so he`ll just make the best out of it, and visit the nearby finess studio regularly, they also do neck-massages there...  .😏

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Both father and son have developed a bad habit of standing around on bits of wood scattered about on the job site, good way to get a nail through one's boot. 

perhaps they have unequal long legs Keith,

but a bad Habit it is indeed...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

7 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

perhaps they have unequal long legs

A family curse, a genetic defect passed down from the grandfather? 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, wefalck said:

One could also argue, that the advantage of PVA-glue is that it penetrates deeper and therefore keys better into the wood, while epoxy cements stay more on the surface. The latter are stronger as a material, but do not key into wood so well.

What is the advantage of glue penetrating the wood, whilst you want to bond two surfaces to one another. It is not that you need "inner bonding", and neither  - at least to my knowledge - will the penetrated glue give additional strength to the bond, like e.g. tenons would. Please, correct me if I am wrong

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

There are four principal ways how a glue or cement connects two pieces:

- it acts like a tenon between two parts and in this way locks them together positively; this works for rough surfaces with open structures, such as wood.

- the cement/glue displaces the air between two parts and the atmospheric pressure pushes the parts against each other; this works best for large, flat parts and requires a smooth surface, such as metals have.

- the glue/cement interacts at a microscopic level physico-chemically through e.g. the Van der Waal's weak interaction

- the cement in fact is a solvent and dissolves the surfaces - in the case of plastics, that are effectively welded together.

In practice, one may have a combination of two or more of the above processes. For instance, you can dissolve the surface of styrene and press it onto some wood, where the soft plastic keys into the wood structure. Or when glueing metal to wood with epoxy, the epoxi will key into the wood, but the metal is pressed onto the epoxy by the atmospheric pressure. When there is an oxide layer on the metal, this oxide layer may also weakly interact physico-chemically with a glue.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Very technical and interesting explanation, wefalck 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Next is the swivible centerboard...

Nils

DSCI7506.thumb.JPG.3f47b8ef96c09c77bb1dc6fec0df1dab.JPG

template

DSCI7510.thumb.JPG.3abbe15ce56e3a1cffa1797744b5d7c9.JPG

reinforcement frame

DSCI7507.thumb.JPG.255d2bac3502be7f0a3339d201e355c4.JPG

board lowered down to max. extent

DSCI7509.thumb.JPG.1f440548746ed9e077286c0f564a914f.JPG

board raised inside

DSCI7508.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Steve for looking in, and for your kind words....

yes, its one piece of 0,3 mm thick brass sheet. I cut it out by laying a part of the sheet on a scrap bit of 4 mm plywood, dilling a small hole through Brass and ply, and then cutting out the center part with a jig saw. This way the brass had adequate support from beneath and it stayed relatively flat as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils.

Just catching up on MSW and I come across your build.

As per normal you are making a excellent job of the build.. and I love the clinker hull. (Note to self....You gotta try this one day).

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

many thanks to Antony,

I`m pleased you  like this clinker hull, I am myself happy with the first hull planking over a plug and for using pear wood instead of pine wood, except for those small ships boats made for HMS Pegasus and for the Chebec

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

It's amazing what you can do (keyword you) with a few sticks, glue and brass. Have always been awestruck by your builds. What we have hear is another beauty. Your lapstraking is awesome. KUDOS:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John, thanks very much for your nice words,

I`m pleased you like the boat...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks to all the "Likes"

The centerboard case is ready for attaching now, a few ribs will be added later on, when it is integrated into deck timbers and to bulkhead with stffening out knees (front side)

Nils

DSCI7511.thumb.JPG.a8de7397de1ddf9f940c287406be1988.JPG

DSCI7512.thumb.JPG.e871c416ee329045317749d8fc1cd85e.JPG

DSCI7513.thumb.JPG.40cfd3ae4d03fdec214fa493899674b8.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

New family member,
after our Ronny (Foxterrier) passed away 7 months ago, due to a stroke from which he unfortunately could`nt recover, we did`nt want to have a new dog again. 
To make it short, the decision did not last long, we missed the house being without any four legged pal......

Here now is our new two months old darling "Caspar", (rough haired Dachshund), puppy pet, since last Saturday, and picked up in southern Germay. There is much life and joy in the house again

Nils

DSCI7520.thumb.JPG.354f15a1b5f26f33bc9d227c4ec2a957.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Geert,

yes, he`s a real clever little chap, but it takes much attension at this stage of age to help in learning and during discovering new impressions daily...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Congratulations on the new puppy!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

thank you very much Phil,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Ahhh, how could you not love that little bugger, congratulations!